• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: Do we finally win or get Saltburned?

H2O

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

j/k...it's markedly better precip wise before it gets to us...but seriously, it's not enough to draw any conclusions.

I’m only out to 66 on pivotal and can only compare to 0z. But I like it more than 0z for sure.

• Like 2

It almost looks like (at least for the Euro’s solution verbatim), we would have been better if the coastal never formed.  Once it did, it robbed the WAA precip that was aimed at us.  

Once the coastal formed, it was just too far east/off the coast to matter.   It stopped the bleeding and that was good to see - onto the ensembles.

• Like 2

Busy between meetings but I think at a glance it made a positive move.  But this is the issue IMO why the euro is on its own

Look at the GGEM

gem-all-conus-vort500_z500-5363200.thumb.png.013f31bae9d147131711beed83fec2e0.png

Now look at the euro.  The feature X is the issue.  The more amplified guidance is much weaker with that wave and allows the trailing wave Y to amplify more.  The euro is stronger and further north with feature X and its preventing Y from amplifying.  

eurono.thumb.png.850beee8c78e0a028193f84b201603c4.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

1-3"er

I broke the accumulations down to 6 and 12 hr intervals and stormvista gave nothing.  Here's it's 24 hr amounts.  If it snows that lightly we'd be lucky to get more than a coating.  Graphic is courtesy of StormVista. image.png.f83dfb5da737dec647eb99d7a16f8771.png

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Busy between meetings but I think at a glance it made a positive move.  But this is the issue IMO why the euro is on its own

Look at the GGEM

gem-all-conus-vort500_z500-5363200.thumb.png.013f31bae9d147131711beed83fec2e0.png

Now look at the euro.  The feature X is the issue.  The more amplified guidance is much weaker with that wave and allows the trailing wave Y to amplify more.  The euro is stronger and further north with feature X and its preventing Y from amplifying.  

eurono.thumb.png.850beee8c78e0a028193f84b201603c4.png

The problem is that the best GFS runs had X and Y join up.  My concern is that now that X and Y are decoupled on the GFS, we risk moving further toward a Euro scenario where X simply serves to completely squash Y.  And X isn’t going to be able to give us much unless it digs deeper.

• Like 2

@psuhoffman…yeah, @MN Transplant picked up on that earlier. Euro is stronger than other guidance with that lead s/w that moves through the Midwest. BUT…it was notably weaker with it (and more energy left behind) at 12z vs 0z. That’s more of an issue than the kicker. One more step of equal magnitude and euro probably looks like todays gfs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

The problem is that the best GFS runs had X and Y join up.  My concern is that now that X and Y are decoupled on the GFS, we risk moving further toward a Euro scenario where X simply serves to completely squash Y.  And X isn’t going to be able to give us much unless it digs deeper.

They seem to be trending towards a compromise on that, but I'm just not sure what that looks like in the end.  I am concerned about that also.