• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring some form of significant ( to be determined more precisely) impact winter storm, Jan 16/17th. Moderate seems to be the upper limit - for now

Typhoon Tip

I'll tell you, this is near the ceiling for 500 mb mechanics in a negative tilt.  Look at that 150 kts leaving the Del Marva, placing SNE right in the cross-hairs of the left exit region - meanwhile.. .the 300 mb level winds are anomalously strong with hints at entrance region situated over NH/ME

image.png.9c56221a0aeee4baf0136c5e0d3a003b.png

Whatever the QPF is on those intervals from HFD to CON you may as well go ahead and assume a meso band or two destroys that estimate.

I mean ... this run in a vacuum.  I have to tell you though, that is the most powerful S/W ( seems to almost be two in there possibly caught in bed together ) I've seen in quite some time passing over that particular region.   150 f'n kts.   That right there is how you overcome the Miami rule - turn the S/W itself into a comet impact.

Also, what's interesting here is the lack of S/stream in this lead up.  The Euro had more ...but utterly abandoned the N/stream on this last 12z run...  It should be Noted that the Euro at one time had a mid 960s mb juggernaut near the Islands... I am thinking about this GFS run ... 'cause, that's what dweebs do.  heh. but, if we were to introduce a S/stream (more so) into that sort of junction ...  yeeeeeah

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'll tell you, this is near the ceiling for 500 mb mechanics in a negative tilt.  Look at that 150 kts leaving the Del Marva, placing SNE right in the cross-hairs of the left exit region - meanwhile.. .the 300 mb level winds are anomalously strong with hints at entrance region situated over NH/ME

image.png.9c56221a0aeee4baf0136c5e0d3a003b.png

Whatever the QPF is on those intervals from HFD to CON you may as well go ahead and assume a meso band or two destroys that estimate.

I mean ... this run in a vacuum. 

Maybe this is the big boy after all? It as hinted at last week by one of the models. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Maybe this is the big boy after all? It as hinted at last week by one of the models. 

I don't know about the 'big boy' heh... but yeah, I added to that post and discussed those Euro runs

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't know about the 'big boy' heh... but yeah, I added to that post and discussed those Euro runs

My only point was that one of the big two(Euro or GFS) late last week had a beast for this time frame for the area.  I’m wondering if this is the come back of that idea?  Interesting. 

Don’t fear the sleet…I’d take half a foot of thump and then an inch of sleet to solidify the pack for the cold week in the wake of that system. Not that it’s going to be the final solution so it’s all just fodder. 

EPS at 18z will be interesting to see if they come NW too. OP run was probably out to lunch given the ensembles were mostly NW of the OP run. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Don’t fear the sleet…I’d take half a foot of thump and then an inch of sleet to solidify the pack for the cold week in the wake of that system. Not that it’s going to be the final solution so it’s all just fodder. 

EPS at 18z will be interesting to see if they come NW too. OP run was probably out to lunch given the ensembles were mostly NW of the OP run. 

Yeah, it’s not a perfect setup but I would take that and run. Half a foot of snow and then an inch of sleet would be a great outcome especially since there is another threat following that is a better setup for the coast. That’s the nice thing about having a good airmass, even if the track isn’t ideal these runs are still giving me a good about of snow before any changeover.