• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It was a bogus record to begin with. Two consecutive days last February with 0.9 inches and they kept going on about how it hasn't snowed an inch for two years. Definitely a bad stretch but what's the difference 0.9 or 1 inch. The way they measure either day could have easily been more than an inch.

Yea I think it was kind of bogus also. I mean 1/10th of an inch. Also, everyone else in the area had over an inch

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It was a bogus record to begin with. Two consecutive days last February with 0.9 inches and they kept going on about how it hasn't snowed an inch for two years. Definitely a bad stretch but what's the difference 0.9 or 1 inch. The way they measure either day could have easily been more than an inch.

I agree 100%. A lot of the news is to sell interest (vis a vis EPIC, Bombshell etc).  That's why daily records are helpful but incomplete for precip.  Need 24 hour records for precip events... and 48 hr etc but cross midnight CLI purposes.  Too difficult,  I'm afraid.   At least this is behind us.  Enjoy the snow and ice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, lee59 said:

I have not seen any reports as of 7a.m. but TWC says it is official. We shall see. Apparently they have been adding the hourly updates in Central Park.

I hope they didnt use X.  X is not a standard PRIMARY dissemination tool for met purposes.  Poor policy if it is since people like myself dont use twitter--- 

Just had our best 30 min of the storm and as of 7 am, we're at 2.0". Starting to doubt we get to 3" here (my prediction was 3.2"), as the radar has been much spottier over the last several hours than forecasted and the short term models right now aren't showing more than another inch falling along/SE of 95, if that, especially if mixing reaches 95 later this morning when precip rates are expected to increase, at least for areas NW of 95 and N of 78, where the storm has underperformed significantly with only about 1-2" for much of NWNJ/NEPA/NENJ/NYC. Huge doubts over whether the coastal is going to deliver as much snow/precip as was modeled even a few hours ago.  Forecast was good for SNJ and CNJ SE of 95 with 3.5" in South River, 2.5" in Howell and 2.5" in Toms River. 

16 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Couldn't get the grass covered here in NJ. Not a huge bust but my son had a conference moved to Zoom today.  I should have worked for the state....anyway looks nice out, gonna take a walk and then decide if it is worth shoveling/ snow blowing or not ( it isn't now ). Dogs don't like the snow; the old guy has arthritis and the new pup is a fair weather dog.

I'd leave it on... melting may occur on pavement but the key for me..any ice that might accum on a recently shoveled untreated pavement. your decision. 

Just now, RU848789 said:

Just had our best 30 min of the storm and as of 7 am, we're at 2.0". Starting to doubt we get to 3" here (my prediction was 3.2"), as the radar has been much spottier over the last several hours than forecasted and the short term models right now aren't showing more than another inch falling along/SE of 95, if that, especially if mixing reaches 95 later this morning when precip rates are expected to increase, at least for areas NW of 95 and N of 78, where the storm has underperformed significantly with only about 1-2" for much of NWNJ/NEPA/NENJ/NYC. Huge doubts over whether the coastal is going to deliver as much snow/precip as was modeled even a few hours ago.  Forecast was good for SNJ and CNJ SE of 95 with 3.5" in South River, 2.5" in Howell and 2.5" in Toms River. 

I have 2.4 down here and its snowing hard rn,also southern nyc is about to get gobsmacked by a mega band.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

It shows as sleet but its prob heavy snow/sleet. Those bands are building all around and south of us as well. The coastal has started its deepening phase.

The heavier precip might push the sleet south temporarily. It shows sleet in SW Suffolk and part of Nassau but near JFK it’s still snow. 

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Get this, just measured 1 inch on the nose in Easton CT and schools were closed!

They should be imo, 1" at start of school time is irrelevant for this storm. Temps are in the mid 20s and with another 1-3" on the way with sleet and freezing rain on top of that and then ending as some snow, it's the right call. Not a delay type situation. If this were march it was like 32/33F wet snow that mostly accumulated on grass it would be a different story, so im not surprised at all. 

• Like 3