Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You're thinking about it wrong imo.  We don't have the skill to be able to make a "this many inches" forecast from 6 days out!   That's why we call them "clown maps".   But if you look at the mean SLP, H5, surface and 850 temps you get the picture that the guidance is indicating there is a pretty decent chance of a wave sliding along the boundary just to our south next Tuesday.  

A responsible and reasonable forecast right now would be "there is a chance of a storm along the east coast affecting us early next week, and there could be enough cold air for it to be snow.  It could also still slide out to sea.  We will keep an eye on it and know a lot more in a few days"  

You can try to give a more specific forecast but the truth is we don't have the ability to with any accuracy, you would just be guessing which of the possible solutions within the typical margin of error from this range is going to happen.  But the guidance isn't showing EVERY solution.  There is absolutely no chance of a snowstorm tomorrow, or Saturday.  Not much of one Next Wednesday.  95% of the time there is NO chance of snow on a given day!  So narrowing the scope to one where there is a reasonable chance of a storm that COULD be snow in our area next Tuesday is good enough for this range and the guidance does that.  If you know what is important, what is just noise, and what are reasonable assumptions to make from them.  

I’m going to stop doing this. I know what I see from models and won’t be told different.

Rather right now ride the wave of good potentiality 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I’m going to stop doing this. I know what I see from models and won’t be told different.

Rather right now ride the wave of good potentiality 

You can check out the code here and decide where the programmers decided to put in the 'every option' lines.  https://github.com/NOAA-EMC/fv3atm

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Ok, it's about that time.  Back from the gym in time.  Goddamn resolutioners are back.  Can't wait until March when 75% of them will be gone.    Anyway, on with the show.....

Got my beer and a joint ready to go. Mid-Atlantic country, let’s ride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I thought Jan/Feb 2021 was pretty good and it was so close to a big period just not quite cold enough.  The last time I was this excited for a pattern was March 2018, which kind of underperformed here.  There were 4 legit threats and only 1 worked out.  We were also fighting the end of our realistic snow climo towards the end of that period too.  

Yeah March 2018 was a bit maddening because had we had that pattern a month earlier...could've been a lot better! Instead the most memorable event was the rather historic windstorm, lol (which was kinda fun in it's own way)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

18z icon vs 12z euro, pretty amazing similarities 1e7e8868b62d4dc6043d76115749f7ce.gif

This is evolving towards a frontrunner wave escaping and the trailing energy swinging around behind type deal which is a much better setup than what most guidance was suggesting yesterday.  

• Like 9

The lead wave is problematic because its directly under the TPV which is tricky and most likely either squashed or would take a phase which would cut it west.  The trailing wave is behind the TPV initially which is where we want a wave to be on approach.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

I can't do the emotional roller coaster anymore so if the models lose this tonight or tomorrow morning, I'm out.

You gotta hang in there man.  Don't be the one on the coaster who throws up.  Give it at least until Sunday 0z at least.  Be a real Mid Atl and hope until hope has run out

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

This is evolving towards a frontrunner wave escaping and the trailing energy swinging around behind type deal which is a much better setup than what most guidance was suggesting yesterday.  

Yeppers, I didn’t foresee that possibility until I noticed the 6z eps/control hint at it. It allows the Front running wave to press the cold a little better. Then question becomes how much drag does the trailer wave have. If you noticed, the 12z euro actually missed a phase down south. Wonder if that would have been better or worst for us though. 5483254fb4b95ecc64a9d70cab1e3e01.jpg

A Pacific jet extension sets up a favorable Pacific for the potential storm around the 20th. An extended NPAC Jet is generally favored in a Nino, and the MJO forcing moving away from the MC will help to facilitate it, resulting in a +PNA with the NE Pac low moving into a better location near the Aleutians.

1705741200-jy3AP8HVjyw.png

1705752000-2WFqiZpkEj0.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

You gotta hang in there man.  Don't be the one on the coaster who throws up.  Give it at least until Sunday 0z at least.  Be a real Mid Atl and hope until hope has run out

Yea, and the type of system this is evolving into is also very reliant on timing. I could see the GFS squash everything to the SE for a suite or 2 wouldn’t be shocked if that happened. Probably be a good thing. We want the EPS to stay the course and improve though

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic