Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

10 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Who reported that 25 spot on the map? Phin?

It is Mount Washington.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=GYX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=2&glossary=0

...Coos County...
1 ESE Mount Washington       25.0 in   1016 AM 01/10   CO-OP Observer
1 E Mount Washington         19.2 in   1017 AM 01/10   CO-OP Observer
 null Mount Washington       18.9 in   1016 AM 01/10   CO-OP Observer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, klw said:

It is Mount Washington.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=GYX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=2&glossary=0

...Coos County...

I can't believe they were able to measure it with all the wind

Just now, codfishsnowman said:

Ok. I always wonder about the weather up there. Glad the far north got some good snow.

Yeah I don’t know to be honest but thought the summit is a precipitation can… like an 8” diameter opening?  That’s what they used to use on Mansfield to capture snow on wind swept rock.  I always thought it still under-caught.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klw said:

It is Mount Washington.

...Coos County...

I would love to know how one measure's snow in 100mph winds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patrick-02540 said:

You measure it but it’s understood that you aren’t measuring everything that falls. Like some of the more sheltered spots not far below the summit in Tuckermans or other basins prob get 400” while summit MWN is pulling 275” because you’re losing a bunch of snow to blow-off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still getting damage reports rolling in from the coast, and this is probably the top coastal flood event in my time at GYX. 

You see the occasional house drop into the ocean down in Mass, but I can't recall that happening up here until today.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Still getting damage reports rolling in from the coast, and this is probably the top coastal flood event in my time at GYX. 

You see the occasional house drop into the ocean down in Mass, but I can't recall that happening up here until today.

The situation/erosion might enhance the damage on Friday night/Saturday, even though that storm probably won't pack the same punch.   

11 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

The situation/erosion might enhance the damage on Friday night/Saturday, even though that storm probably won't pack the same punch.   

But the tides are also higher. So the forecast is actually very similar to this event's observed levels and potential for even higher.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, klw said:

BTV snowfall totals map

416375017_761343356026948_34197621123688

Ha, this is essentially a topographic map. You can clearly make out the individual ranges within the High Peaks region of the ADK, the spine of the Greens is lit up, and even Mount Ascutney is clearly visible just W of the CT river. Mount Sunapee, Mount Cardigan and Kearsarge are also very obvious as well.

Even some key passes and valleys in N-VT are clearly visible.

• Weenie 1

2.6" of rain for the event. Pretty much wiped the yard but have some snow left along the edges. What a cluster today along the shore in Hampton. Cars driving over route 1 through the salt marsh with a foot of seawater pouring over the road.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Patrick-02540 said:

You find a spot on  the wall of your building about 4 feet above the snow line.  You then measure the amount of snow sticking to the wall

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Long fetch of Strong sse winds with high ASTRO tides. Barriers also damaged 12 /18

Exactly. It’s the extremely long fetch. Which builds wave periods above 14 seconds. Something usually only seen on the west coast. The next storm is going to cause big erosion issues. On par with 10/91 and 12/92

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. It’s the extremely long fetch. Which builds wave periods above 14 seconds. Something usually only seen on the west coast. The next storm is going to cause big erosion issues. On par with 10/91 and 12/92

Agree check it out yesterday 

Screenshot_20240110_145150_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2