• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/8-1/10 Potential Winter Storm

Just now, Chambana said:

Congrats to those cashing in. My call was $ here, and those in IA, NW Illinois hit the jackpot. Temps maxed at 43 here earlier. 

Entire event changed here about 2 hours ago. The front end precip was sloppy and rates weren't that good. The last two hours have been totally ripping. Going to shovel the driveway so the slop doesn't freeze or get any thicker. 

Not looking forward to the single digit highs that may come around early next week. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I've seen it rip dendrites and pixies like this countless times before, but ripping aggregates like this is a new one.

Was just thinking that..if the flakes weren't so big, would it look this impressive?   And are the larger flakes contributing to the reflective nature on the radar?

I guess looking out the window I don't really care...keep ripping 

Good snippet from Gino regarding these aggregates:
"the recipe for the HUGE aggregates like that is deep ascent throughout the column, through a wide temp range to get a variety of flake types and then the key is a deep isothermal layer near or just below 0C where the snow is wet and prone to clumping. This is about as perfect of a set-up for that as you'll see"

• Like 2

Congrats to Hawkeye and CR crew for finally (likely) getting their first footer.  :thumbsup:

Very disappointing outcome here with the extremely low ratios.  Hard to complain though when areas southeast in the sub are getting a cold rain.

Should hopefully add another inch or so to bring us to near 5".  Nice to have an all-day snow event.

• Like 1

This is the part of big storms I hate.  Now that we are into the blowing and drifting, all the spotters in my area surge well ahead of my total.  Reports of 11-12.5" are now coming in across Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, but somehow I've only managed to accumulate 1" on my board over the last 2.5 hours, despite the fact it has been ripping the entire time.  Snow gets blown off my board, so my accumulation rate slows to a crawl.  I am officially only at 9.7".  Reality is probably closer to 11".  This is why I always fall short of 12" in big storms.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This is the part of big storms I hate.  Now that we are into the blowing and drifting, all the spotters in my area surge well ahead of my total.  Reports of 11-12.5" are now coming in across Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, but somehow I've only managed to accumulate 1" on my board over the last 2.5 hours, despite the fact it has been ripping the entire time.  Snow gets blown off my board, so my accumulation rate slows to a crawl.  I am officially only at 9.7".  Reality is probably closer to 11".  This is why I always fall short of 12" in big storms.

solution: Lie

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, icemiser said:

Sleet storms can actually be fun (not as much as ice of course).  A 4” sleet storm has the staying power of 10-12” of moderate ratio snow.  Not fun to hear, I get that.

^^^Another Palm Dude sock?

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

+SN here at ORD, with SNINCR 1/2.

59 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

KORD 092051Z 02010KT 1/4SM R10L/4000VP6000FT +SN FG OVC004 01/00 A2896 RMK AO2 SLP812 SNINCR 1/2 P0006 60027 T00060000 56033 $

Another hour, another SNINCR OBS here at ORD...

KORD 092151Z 36009KT 1/4SM R10L/5000VP6000FT +SN FG VV004 01/00 A2896 RMK AO2 SLP811 SNINCR 1/3 P0011 T00060000 $

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I am not your sweet summer child and I dunno what 10 hours you are referring to lol. While detroit always seems to get in on pingers, I don't recall having 10 hours of it. I remember ghd 11 was a few hours.

Oh boy...

I was just teasing you, my friend.

BTW, "Oh, My Sweet Summer Child" is an internet meme from The Game of Thrones, again meant to be a joke.

I will be more careful next time I respond...

• Haha 1