• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

That is awesome.  This is a pretty good took that has the whole country if you want to waste a lot of time.  
https://en-us.topographic-map.com/map-hqf3/Baltimore/?center=39.43478%2C-77.33712&zoom=9

That’s a sweet tool for sure. Also, it’s in meters incase anyone overlooked that part. My old house in west EC was apparently around 320 feet elevation (higher than I thought tbh). My house in union bridge is at 469ft. Not too shabby.

Man. This is gonna be a nailbiter.

As long as it’s wrong, let’s not forget for folks even close in to 95, there are several models that do have a lot better outcome than the Euro. Small pieces of the puzzle in evolution will have big impacts. Little bit of a model war could be breaking out with how these pieces are handled. 

3 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

1704585600-ir92aWEkHoc.png

Nasty gradient... 10" in NW Arlington, 3" in SE. 

It's also still ripping at this point in DC.

I can’t say it’s never happened but Camp Springs getting 1” and Rockville 11” is a 50-1 shot 

Bad run but it's not the least bit surprising, there is no cold air available so it makes sense that this is a situation for central PA and the catskills to jackpot in.  Saturday morning temps are gonna be like 30 degrees in Pittsburgh, if it's barely below freezing that far NW of here you know the depth of the cold isn't going to be sufficient for us. 

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

1704603600-EaNQGfZi3yw.png

flips back to snow at the end but not nearly as good as other models - tough sledding in D.C (literally)

looking at the thermals I don't see how that is correct.  There are warm layers everywhere during the whole event.  I would be shocked IF the euro is right if anyone east of the BR got more than an inch or two at most.  

It's not all that dissimilar from the GGEM just warmer.  One reason its warmer is the coastal is way less of a defined feature initially until it gets to our latitude.  It's more just a wave along an inverted trough with a southerly flow up into our area at the mid levels. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

looking at the thermals I don't see how that is correct.  There are warm layers everywhere during the whole event.  I would be shocked IF the euro is right if anyone east of the BR got more than an inch or two at most.  

It's not all that dissimilar from the GGEM just warmer.  One reason its warmer is the coastal is way less of a defined feature initially until it gets to our latitude.  It's more just a wave along an inverted trough with a southerly flow up into our area at the mid levels. 

This is probably closer to what the outcome would be for that run. Norther + elevation ftw.

1704639600-TcSotpOxqng.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That inverted trough (trowal maybe?) is sort of the killer. Not sure how real that feature is. I actually though euro looked decent/good before it got to us. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still considering a short chase to Gettysburg or Harpers Ferry area. Only if it's all snow and 5"+. Looks like a decent bet rn. Otherwise I'll just stay here and enjoy yet another heavy rain event lol.

I am supposed to be seeing Aaron Lewis at the Charles Town track on Saturday night. I was worried about it getting cancelled. Not so sure anymore. 

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still considering a short chase to Gettysburg or Harpers Ferry area. Only if it's all snow and 5"+. Looks like a decent bet rn. Otherwise I'll just stay here and enjoy yet another heavy rain event lol.

Might be able to drive in and drive out in the same day... hotel room not even needed

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I am supposed to be seeing Aaron Lewis at the Charles Town track on Saturday night. I was worried about it getting cancelled. Not so sure anymore. 

If I decide to go, I am leaning towards S PA at this point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Kind of wishing for something at this point that doesn’t want to come to fruition. Congrats to people like @WxWatcher007 and @clskinsfan and folks up that way. @mappyyoull prolly end up good side of things too. 

Nobody here wants to hear it but this one is far from settled even up here.

I sincerely hope this is one where everyone from DC up to here can get a break. It’s been historically awful for us all and it’s time to end it. 

Good luck.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

850s are sooooo close, but surface temps are shot. That said, UKIE thermals are lol. Cville is placed into an isolated freezer with the 6" of snow it gets this run

sfct-imp.us_ma.png

15 on skyline dr and 35 and rain at DCA. Don’t think so 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Sounds like it pulled option A 

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That inverted trough (trowal maybe?) is sort of the killer. Not sure how real that feature is. I actually though euro looked decent/good before it got to us. 

I don’t know how to categorize it. There is no primary really. It’s nearly identical to the gfs.   Better high heading in. More confluence. Same exact slp track. 1-2 mb deeper as it passes us. There is a bit more of that inverted feature. That seems to jump the thermals quick right over us.  But maybe in the end it’s just a few degrees warmer and that makes a huge difference here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Waffling time as no big location placements to mess with

By  Friday noon I’ll be going over my checklist 

High 1025-1030 and within 150 miles of southern tip of Hudson/James 

Low not moving north of VA/NC border and staying at 1000 and not lower.

Overnight lows Friday 27- 30 and dew points in the wee hours Saturday 20-23. 

onset time not optimal so need cloudy skies by 7-8am Saturday which should keep DCA around 35 at onset time but will get a 3-5 degree drop with steady precip

Pittsburgh colder or as cold as Boston 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic