• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

FWIW, 19z NWS Blend of Models (aka the NBM that has been mentioned) snow map. It is a step back from 13z that had DC getting 2”, and my backyard in the 8-9” range 

IMG_0741.jpeg

This was definitely expected with the latest data at 12z, but definitely not the end of the world. It's a solid first event, verbatim. One of the characteristics I like about the NBM is being able to depict elevation and outlining the areas of focus climo wise.  We haven't even gotten into hi-res territory yet where there will be more definition inside 48 hrs and even more inside 24 hrs. A textbook fall line scenario right there. 3-6" with local to 8" is a good call for areas NW of the fall line with 1-3" max to 4" along and southeast. I'd take this in a heartbeat. Thanks for that update @mappy

• Like 9

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

This was definitely expected with the latest data at 12z, but definitely not the end of the world. It's a solid first event, verbatim. One of the characteristics I like about the NBM is being able to depict elevation and outlining the areas of focus climo wise.  We haven't even gotten into hi-res territory yet where there will be more definition inside 48 hrs and even more inside 24 hrs. A textbook fall line scenario right there. 3-6" with local to 8" is a good call for areas NW of the fall line with 1-3" max to 4" along and southeast. I'd take this in a heartbeat. Thanks for that update @mappy

Spot on as usual. You can also see the Monocacy Valley snow hole illustrated. It seems to rear it's ugly head when there isn't sustained cold air draining into Frederick City. I know that's been the perennial bane of @catoctin wx and @Mrs.J

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

01z is coming in now. Better further north, about the same near DC. Map soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

1z updated on wxbell. Another slow decline unfortunately. Not sure what caused it.  18z data was slightly better I thought then 12z. But it is what it is. Still would be a decent way to get on the board for many. 
IMG_0766.thumb.png.b0de914f736cd20bc386fc022483b04c.png

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Spot on as usual. You can also see the Monocacy Valley snow hole illustrated. It seems to rear it's ugly head when there isn't sustained cold air draining into Frederick City. I know that's been the perennial bane of @catoctin wx and @Mrs.J

Life in the valley! I live on a hill off Monocacy, but I still won't get as much as places along the Catoctins to the west of Thurmont. Still a nice event out in these parts.

Just now, mappy said:

Thanks! I was gonna start looking myself, so I appreciate the aid on posting the maps ^_^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

1z updated on wxbell. Another slow decline unfortunately. Not sure what caused it.  18z data was slightly better I thought then 12z. But it is what it is. Still would be a decent way to get on the board for many. 

Looks like more in my area

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Ooof just kidding. Worse for all. Qpf is the same as 19z, and temps aren’t any warmer than 19z, so not sure why totals are lower?

IMG_0742.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Looks like a slight tick down and actually the biggest loss north of the Mason Dixon where 1-2" was lost over the highlands. We'll see this bounce a little bit in the coming days, but this is still a decent event to get the ball rolling. Yes, it stinks not getting a bomb, but having snowfall during the day and evening on Saturday will bring up everyone's spirit. I'm staying positive because this will be my first good event since moving back home. It'll be special to me

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Looks like a slight tick down and actually the biggest loss north of the Mason Dixon where 1-2" was lost over the highlands. We'll see this bounce a little bit in the coming days, but this is still a decent event to get the ball rolling. Yes, it stinks not getting a bomb, but having snowfall during the day and evening on Saturday will bring up everyone's spirit. I'm staying positive because this will be my first good event since moving back home. It'll be special to me

Any snow is good snow, especially in the mid Atlantic.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Life in the valley! I live on a hill off Monocacy, but I still won't get as much as places along the Catoctins to the west of Thurmont. Still a nice event out in these parts.

Thanks! I was gonna start looking myself, so I appreciate the aid on posting the maps ^_^

I am up by Gambrill Park. Moved here from Baltimore County in 2020. Night and day compared to lower elevations. 

• Like 3

I add significant points to daytime snow.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kristia said:

I am up by Gambrill Park. Moved here from Baltimore County in 2020. Night and day compared to lower elevations. 

Your area is gorgeous. I was on a hike in those parts last month. Should be a nice little storm up there!

15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

this will be my first good event since moving back home. It'll be special to me

Same. I just moved back here a year and half ago. Even if it’s just 3” imby as depicted by the NBM, that’ll be my first good event as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Terpeast said:

Same. I just moved back here a year and half ago. Even if it’s just 3” imby as depicted by the NBM, that’ll be my first good event as well. 

last time i lived in Ashburn, i got 42 inches in 5 days. moved to leesburg in Late Feb 2010. Do right by Ashburn dude

55 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Went from a MA special to Congrats New England in under 18 hrs. That's gotta be some sort of record.

No.  I have seen it so many times before.  Usually in that exact time range too. This is why I commented on @psuhoffman 's post last night when he was telling @Deck Pic how much the models have improved and how within 6 days its usually just ironing out minor details.   If this holds, the GFS was a major bust.

For like 8 runs in a row the GFS was showing a text book MECS.  Then all the sudden its QPF was cut in half while the track and intensity decreased dramatically.  I cant tell you how many times I have something like this in the exact same time range.  I feel like there is no safe lead time around here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic