• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Also we have that decent high to the north…something we couldn’t buy to save our lives last winter…so even though the wind is still off the water for the coast with the somewhat tucked low track, that high is helping to funnel in lower dewpoint air which acts to help keep it cooler just off the deck with evaporational cooling/wetbulbing. 

It may enhance the CF

I just looked at the 12z NAM FOUS grid and those numbers would suggest near blizzard conditions due to falling and blowing snow combined sometime between 10z and 14z over the city of Boston and some of the immediate NW-W-SW subburbs.  I'm not sure we can get by without at least some marine contamination right at the shore points - just being conservative about that factor. 

But sustained 36 mph BL wind implication with 31F with pure snow vertical thermal structure ... Coming down Arlington Heights ... and up E of BED and down toward Newton and possibly down toward Milford ... that region would be very low visibility right around dawn tomorrow with impressive fall rates, with occasional wind gusting.  This run has nearing 1.5" liq equiv in the QPF column of the FOUS grid for Logan, and all of it as happening in a sub 0C total vertical sounding.  Looking down toward LGA on the grid, with well over an inch and a 6-hrly interval exceed .7" (!), then translating NE... Within the run its self, this is a packaged well-behaved deal that implicates the HFD to Boston corridor. 

Obviously there is other guidance.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

So given the paste, is this the more realistic clown?

snku_acc-imp.us_ne.png

No, it's not that realistic. Use the 10:1 ratio. It's more realistic and easier to correct for. The only way that clown map gets closer to reality is if and only if the storm comes closer and the omega can get that far north. The heaviest still appears to be in far Southern New Hampshire and off to the south in Eastern Mass. Yes, there will be some elevation enhancement on the eastern facing Worcester hills and southern Berks. This is looking like a colder storm now with the high to the north not moving away as quickly as though much earlier and the track is now a tic or two south and offshore.

2 hours ago, tavwtby said:

ALY bumped up for here... I question that a little, but I'll take that outcome

Screenshot_20240106_075545_Firefox.jpg

I live about 10 miles southwest of Kingston and at least half of the models have shown 12"+ since about noon yesterday so it seems reasonable for where I am at least to be in the 12-18 shade. Other areas, not so much. Looking at the probabilistic snowfall forecast, there are plenty of spots in the 12-18 region that have a probability less than 50 of getting it which leads me to believe this map is indeed generally overdone.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 10.30.36 AM.png

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Reggie looks horrible down here. Removed accums IMBY.

image.thumb.png.d5eb8f0e064d6826e947d1a4b7030673.png

Torches the BL for several hours before the wrap around commences. It's the most aggressive meso with that warmth on these 12z runs. Would really like to see that move the other way on the 18z runs

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I remember DT on the radio shows back in the mid to late 2000s. Always enjoyed his banter/analysis back when it was Eastern before pending snow storms, haven't followed him much in the years since tbh

Nothing like a radio show could signal the death of a storm.

12 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Reggie looks horrible down here. Removed accums IMBY.

image.thumb.png.d5eb8f0e064d6826e947d1a4b7030673.png

Man that blows.....not too late to had to Pit2.  My foot moved up there.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1