• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2024

George BM

Wow. Intense rates of snow continue in MLP. This was not expected in this part of Garrett County. Temp has fallen further to 28.8 with the heavy snow. Since 3:30 AM when it started, we have picked up 4.8 inches so far (accumulating currently 1 1/2 - 2 inches per hour). Waiting for the pingers to start, but knock on wood, none since the precip began. Very small flakes currently although I think some of that is due to the increasing wind (currently out of the ESE at 24-30 MPH).

• Like 10

On 1/8/2024 at 12:33 PM, North Balti Zen said:

A co-worker - "Man, it's chilly out there"

Me double-checking temp - "It's 48 degrees friend, ON JANUARY 8TH"

Maybe it's chilly for Birmingham, AL. Maybe. This whole area is being de-conditioned to...actual winter. 

On 1/8/2024 at 4:23 PM, pazzo83 said:

it is kind of humorous that lows in the mid-upper 30s are referred to as "cold!! bundle up in the morning!!" by local mets on TV (maybe Doug and Topper excepted) - in mid winter.

WTOP this morning:

”Temperature in Washington currently 45 degrees. Wind chill of 38!!!”

• Haha 5

Clouds following a storm might be the most predictable weather to forecast around here, at least in the cooler months. The day will start out with a period of sun and then the trough moves east and you end up with a stratocumulus cloud deck…or something like that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I love to see that cloud action/behavior on GOES. For the smarter folks on here...what causes that? Is that the gravity wave thing factoring in here?

Yea, they actually mentioned the gravity waves in the LWX disco.  I think what happens is we have leftover moisture from these storm systems and the combo of cooler air swinging through the next day and orographic lift causes these types of clouds.  I haven't looked up the exact reasons, but it happens a lot in these setups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

do we have a discussion anywhere on solar panels? my new array hit 15kwh generated today (it was installed in december). pretty cool to watch production increase bit by bit as we move away from the solstice. clouds are now my enemy

It’s fun to watch production vary over the year. 13.3 kWh today for me.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic