Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I am trying to think of who may have called NE MD a snowy area. There's a long running joke about NE MD PUMMELED, because it never is lol 

This is ofc one of my favorite forum jokes. I can't remember the poster's name but feel like it was someone in or around Bel Air (?)  If a model run favored the area it was a NE MD PUMMELING / NE MD PUMMELED -- always all caps. The all caps is very important :lol:

59 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Alright my math teacher is making me get up in front of the class and present about the weekend storm, anyone have any idea on what to say because all I got right now is that there are currently 3 scenarios (strong storm but too warm EURO/ICON, strong storm and cold RGEM/CMC, weak and cold/weak and warm GFS/NAM) and there no way to know which one will happen. I have till 11:08 to prepare my statement... 

Stand there sweating, hands shaking, barely able to stand upright, and warn them about the dangers of addiction

• Haha 3

Being still relatively new to the area, I hear the terms "NW of I95" and the "I95 corridor" used a lot, almost interchangeably when it comes to winter weather esp. snow. For someone who technically lives NW of I95 in Towson, how many miles to either side of I95 is considered the "I95 corridor", and does "NW of I95" literally mean everything to the NW of I95 including the NW side of the "corridor", or does "NW of I95" start where the NW side of the "corridor" ends?

1 minute ago, TowsonTownT said:

Being still relatively new to the area, I hear the terms "NW of I95" and the "I95 corridor" used a lot, almost interchangeably when it comes to winter weather esp. snow. For someone who technically lives NW of I95 in Towson, how many miles to either side of I95 is considered the "I95 corridor", and does "NW of I95" literally mean everything to the NW of I95 including the NW side of the "corridor", or does "NW of I95" start where the NW side of the "corridor" ends?

It depends lol. And 95 is also close to, but not exactly the “fall line”. The fall line is the boundary between the coastal plain and the piedmont and elevation goes up between them. Your elevation and amount of urban heat island your particular location has is a big deal for snow totals in our area. 

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It depends lol. And 95 is also close to, but not exactly the “fall line”. The fall line is the boundary between the coastal plain and the piedmont and elevation goes up between them. Your elevation and amount of urban heat island your particular location has is a big deal for snow totals in our area. 

LOL I'm on a 464ft heat island 10 miles from I95.

downloaddds.jpg

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Mine is actually 490'.  I was a couple of blocks off.  Pretty sure that your latitude will crush me this weekend.

The hilarious thing (to me) is that while I am 366 feet I have a shared driveway and my up-the-shared-driveway neighbor is at 393 feet. 27 feet colder in the column literally out my backdoor and looking up at their house. 

8 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

The hilarious thing (to me) is that while I am 366 feet I have a shared driveway and my up-the-shared-driveway neighbor is at 393 feet. 27 feet colder in the column literally out my backdoor and looking up at their house. 

Lol. How do you think I feel. I can sit on back on my deck at 870 ft. and look up at Mount PSU at almost 1100 ft. Sometimes in marginal ZR events I will have little or no ice on my trees but look up on the ridge and see heavy ice accretion.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Lol. How do you think I feel. I can sit on back on my deck at 870 ft. and look up at Mount PSU at almost 1100 ft. Sometimes in marginal ZR events I will have little or no ice on my trees but look up on the ride and see heavy ice accretion.

BRUTAL

15 minutes ago, TowsonTownT said:

downloaddds.jpg

Then you’re in much better shape than the cities. I know the urban core of Towson can be warm though, so that’s something to watch as you get familiar with the microclimates in the area.

Just now, aldie 22 said:

It's hilarious how one model run can screw up people's mood. What happened to the 3 different scenarios? Are we locked into this one now from the euro?

trends!

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Kinda looking that way. I would stay though esp if its Gettysburg. Great place to hang out.

4 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

It sure is, just 15 mins from me. Lots of good food and good beverages. 

pretty cheap hotels... might be worth dipping into my vacation slush fund.

I'd been hoping that if D.C. was a fail, I could at least go west and take advantage of some free housing (family) along the I-81 corridor. But not sure it's worth the chase. May be a Friday call

51 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Lol. How do you think I feel. I can sit on back on my deck at 870 ft. and look up at Mount PSU at almost 1100 ft. Sometimes in marginal ZR events I will have little or no ice on my trees but look up on the ridge and see heavy ice accretion.

Does he dump his leaves and trash down the mountain too? Laughing at the commoners below 1kft :lol:

8 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

It's hilarious how one model run can screw up people's mood. What happened to the 3 different scenarios? Are we locked into this one now from the euro?

Combination of the latest model runs suggest more rain for I-95 and more frozen n & w, do they not? Now you gave me a weenie emoji the other day when I said that even when model runs looked better...but here we are, lol It just smelled like that on Monday to me. This isn't a setup that has the snowiest of the three options, I don't think.

Besides...it's maybe a week or two too early  (I looked up past snowstorms and only one fell the first week of January. I'm not sure why that happens but that seems to be a historical trend!)

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Combination of the latest model runs suggest more rain for I-95 and more frozen n & w, do they not? Now you gave me a weenie emoji the other day when I said that even when model runs looked better...but here we are, lol It just smelled like that on Monday to me. This isn't a setup that has the snowiest of the three options, I don't think.

Besides...it's maybe a week or two too early  (I looked up past snowstorms and only one fell the first week of January. I'm not sure why that happens but that seems to be a historical trend!)

You talking BWI? Specifically Nino? 

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

You talking BWI? Specifically Nino? 

BWI. (Perhaps this is less banter and more LR discussion, but I was about to share this list JB2 made several years ago)

See what I mean? Lol The only outlier was January 1996...which I can imagine was a combination of ninas being front-loaded, and having that crazy anomalous blocking regime you and others have talked about.

Top-25-SnowStormsJan2016.webp.df35605b063fbde8e195ac32947de2ef.webp

it's amazing how the euro still has that death hold on everyone. Let's just say it is a few degrees too warm what does that do to the overall scenario? Is it possible that a model is not correct on either side of the temp profile 3-4 days out? 

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

BWI. (Perhaps this is less banter and more LR discussion, but I was about to share this list JB2 made several years ago)

See what I mean? Lol The only outlier was January 1996...which I can imagine was a combination of ninas being front-loaded, and having that crazy anomalous blocking regime you and others have talked about.

Top-25-SnowStormsJan2016.webp.df35605b063fbde8e195ac32947de2ef.webp

That's a top 25 list. There have been other significant snow events in early January. Had one just 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I'm certainly not giving up on winter or anything, but I feel like the writing may well be on the wall for MBY for this event.

It was over for me yesterday at 12z. For areas SE of the Fall line the frozen potential was mostly dependent on the stronger confluence from that NS energy moving eastward into the 50-50 region, just as the wave was approaching. That proved to be a timing error on the GFS. With that shifting eastward sooner, there was really nothing to keep the wave from tracking further north and the flow from turning southeasterly out in front.

2 hours ago, TowsonTownT said:

downloaddds.jpg

Anecdote for what it's worth - I live close to the ridge line that Joppa Road follows West of Towson, and on several occasions, I have left the Homewood/Hampden area where there was only wet pavement and a car topper to find stickage out my way. Just that little bit green and elevation can make a pretty big difference on some of these marginal events. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic