• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

At this point I’m just relegating myself to a huge sleet storm and hoping it materializes.. thermals looked cooked one way or the other even down right along the blue ridge on 81. Was really hoping for more from this. 

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

I love Spain. Where did you go? I've been to Seville and Bilbao. Both cities are a total contrast from each other, really interesting. And during the afternoon siestas, entire cities go really quiet and almost nothing is open.

When I was at the Madrid airport about to leave, it started snowing. It was March.

Madrid then Seville and now Barcelona. Flying back tomorrow.  Seville was charming but it was a bit like a theme park for Spanish culture and history lovers. The Moors and Magellan and orange trees. Madrid is huge and we were there over Xmas so prolly didn’t get the city’s normal vibe, but you can get Campari as easily as you can catch a cold in kindergarten. Royal Palace was pretty cool and reminded me that monarchies are only worthwhile in retrospect. *Barcelona is just fantastic but the Familia cathedral, one of the big sites (it’s never been finished), is, to me, an architectural schizophrenic: a gothic cathedral with eagles and fruit topping some of the spires. No can comprehende.  But the city is glorious and can hold its own, IMHO, with some of the other big name European urbans that I’ve been to and loved . The Baleric/Mediterranean really adds cachet.

only regret was not seeing the Prada or “Gunerica” in Madrid, or the Picasso museum here. Holidays and long waits kibboshed those plans. Needed to get tickets in advance but didn’t. Another reason to always heed my wife’s advice.

jeez this post was long, particularly with the first real winter threat in two years looming. So apologies and if this needs to be deleted, understandable. At least it’s in banter.

*edit: Spain is still a constitutional monarchy I suppose, but it’s like the 384 hour GFS: not taken real seriously

• Like 1

Seriously when two models completely switch positions and another model goes from a great run to the opposite it sure seems curious that anyone would feel comfortable making definitive statements quite yet.....besides Chuck...he's a good driver and he counts cards so....

12z yesterday to 12z today seems jumpy at best if you ask me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

At this point I’m just relegating myself to a huge sleet storm and hoping it materializes.. thermals looked cooked one way or the other even down right along the blue ridge on 81. Was really hoping for more from this. 

lol it's Tuesday. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

Seriously when two models completely switch positions and another model goes from a great run to the opposite it sure seems curious that anyone would feel comfortable making definitive statements quite yet.....besides Chuck...he's a good driver and he counts cards so....

12z yesterday to 12z today seems jumpy at best if you ask me.

And suddenly we have people saying that "this was always going to be marginal for the area" and "this was never  setup in which the region would score" despite plenty of guidance showing otherwise.

Drives me f'ing bonkers.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

And suddenly we have people saying that "this was always going to be marginal for the area" and "this was never  setup in which the region would score" despite plenty of guidance showing otherwise.

Drives me f'ing bonkers.

Speaking strictly of temps….the air mass has been marginal on guidance for some time. 

22 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Speaking strictly of temps….the air mass has been marginal on guidance for some time. 

There has never been anything in place to support such a storm. Guidance in the long range is simply trending toward climatology. The features that were being modeled weren’t even in the U.S. It gets closer then reality settles in.  There is not a single cold temperature or wind chill headline out anywhere in the Plains or New England. That is very telling of the airmass we are dealing with. Bass boats were going out on the lakes in MN late Dec where normally you would find cars driving out on the ice.  Different patterns driving weather. It’s important to know the patterns, analogs, so you know the type of setup that is textbook to this area. If a model is dumping double digit snows here but doesn’t align to a pattern known to produce then you have a red flag right off the bat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

They are selling swords at Amazon for $9.99.

6 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Well it is rare when we see things improve. If we do, I will be happy. For now.. 

yikes-rachel-dratch.gif.52e550c9fd11f63805bf18a0ee3bcd1d.gif

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

P.s. banter-type posts will get hidden with more regularity here

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nj2va said:

Are we still worried about suppression?

I'll worry about that until we're 24 hours out.

I'll also worry about a primary running up into Ohio until 24 hours out.

...and a wound-up, tucked bomb that pulls in tropical air off the Gulf Stream and a weak, strung-out POS that drizzles into 39-degree air. I'm sure there are other worries, but I'm kind of tired of thinking about them now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mattie g said:

I'll worry about that until we're 24 hours out.

I'll also worry about a primary running up into Ohio until 24 hours out.

...and a wound-up, tucked bomb that pulls in tropical air off the Gulf Stream and a weak, strung-out POS that drizzles into 39-degree air. I'm sure there are other worries, but I'm kind of tired of thinking about them now.

You forgot worrying about a new vort that popped out of nowhere in the SW USA thousands of miles away that is ruining snow in the mid-atl.

• Haha 2

@WxUSAFwrote

"may be a “worst of both worlds” scenario."

if there is anything I've learned over the years it is how we excel that exact scenario. - that one year (I don't recall which one) where every post of psuhoff for months was about how the waves were juuuuuuuusssttt close enough to rob each other of being a storm and we ended up in between with nothing - it was comical how well we failed in whatever year/pattern that was. 

No larger point, which is why i have this in banter, but rogue shortwaves showing up to murder a threat is one of our hilarious go to moves. 

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

You forgot worrying about a new vort that popped out of nowhere in the SW USA thousands of miles away that is ruining snow in the mid-atl.

Ooooh...that's a good one. But of course we should have seen that coming since this whole thing was fraught with the danger of it being a big rainer!

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

@WxUSAFwrote

if there is anything I've learned over the years it is how we excel that exact scenario. - that one year (I don't recall which one) where every post of psuhoff for months was about how the waves were juuuuuuuusssttt close enough to rob each other of being a storm and we ended up in between with nothing - it was comical how well we failed in whatever year/pattern that was. 

No larger point, which is why i have this in banter, but rogue shortwaves showing up to murder a threat is one of our hilarious go to moves. 

image.png.18642cffbb8823a1592d8c88a25c214c.png

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic