Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Note to self. Next time a record cold or snowy streak occurs, DO NOT mention this. He will go off the rails. 

True, it was baity I guess. Wx extremes are very cool, hot or cold. But GW fanatics only like to point out the hot stuff, and call the rest just normal fare. Wx weenies love both. And yes, it will be a warmer end to the month for our region, especially in the N.

And last winter was a record snow year for many areas around me, but this year has swung to the opposite, so far anyway. It can swing really quick around here. 2012/13 is one example.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brian D said:

True, it was baity I guess. Wx extremes are very cool, hot or cold. But GW fanatics only like to point out the hot stuff, and call the rest just normal fare. Wx weenies love both. And yes, it will be a warmer end to the month for our region, especially in the N.

And last winter was a record snow year for many areas around me, but this year has swung to the opposite, so far anyway. It can swing really quick around here. 2012/13 is one example.

Agree on all counts. Its like inappropriate touching to the fanatics to point out cold/snow extremes. No one is denying climate change, but the Great Lakes/Midwest is a region with cold winters/hot summers, so most winters, no matter how "warm" they are in the mean, will have some cold/snow stories to be had. And quite honestly, back to the graph chinook posted, I am quite surprised what a bout of deep winter this region saw for a strong Nino. I knew we would have cold shots and snow while some were on a ledge in December, but did not foresee a blast like that. Hoping some more fun is had in Feb/Mar.

So much of the season to go, but year-to-year rubber-band snaps can be wild. Locally, there were insane ones from 1880-81 to 1881-82, 1917-18 to 1918-19, and 1981-82 to 1982-83. But the 5 year period from 1877-1882 was downright wild.

1877-78: warm

1878-79: cold

1879-80: warm

1880-81: cold

1881-82: warm

32 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Agree on all counts. Its like inappropriate touching to the fanatics to point out cold/snow extremes. No one is denying climate change, but the Great Lakes/Midwest is a region with cold winters/hot summers, so most winters, no matter how "warm" they are in the mean, will have some cold/snow stories to be had. And quite honestly, back to the graph chinook posted, I am quite surprised what a bout of deep winter this region saw for a strong Nino. I knew we would have cold shots and snow while some were on a ledge in December, but did not foresee a blast like that. Hoping some more fun is had in Feb/Mar.

So much of the season to go, but year-to-year rubber-band snaps can be wild. Locally, there were insane ones from 1880-81 to 1881-82, 1917-18 to 1918-19, and 1981-82 to 1982-83. But the 5 year period from 1877-1882 was downright wild.

No. Those winters were all cold. The warm ones you listed were due to rooftop temperatures. lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That whole stretch from the 1877-78 Nino all the way until like 1890 was just a wild 15 years in the Midwest. Madison had a similar snap back and forth in record warm and record cold winters in that stretch. Including what was likely our snowiest winter ever in 1880-81 if the precip totals from melted snow are to be believed. Also 1880-1885 was our wettest 5 year stretch ever until arguably 2015-2020, with what is probably one of if not the biggest flood in state history in June 1880. The Wisconsin River had a flow of over 100,000CFS at Wisconsin Rapids, the only gauge with records that far back. Later on 1887-88 was a record snowy year further north in Green Bay, where they recorded almost 150" of snow that winter, and then followed up with 120" two years later in 1889-90. The next snowiest year is "only" 93.5" in 2010-11. We really didn't have a crazy stretch like that again in regards to precip and snowfall totals and whiplash really until the late 2000s, and its been like that ever since. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

That whole stretch from the 1877-78 Nino all the way until like 1890 was just a wild 15 years in the Midwest. Madison had a similar snap back and forth in record warm and record cold winters in that stretch. Including what was likely our snowiest winter ever in 1880-81 if the precip totals from melted snow are to be believed. Also 1880-1885 was our wettest 5 year stretch ever until arguably 2015-2020, with what is probably one of if not the biggest flood in state history in June 1880. The Wisconsin River had a flow of over 100,000CFS at Wisconsin Rapids, the only gauge with records that far back. Later on 1887-88 was a record snowy year further north in Green Bay, where they recorded almost 150" of snow that winter, and then followed up with 120" two years later in 1889-90. The next snowiest year is "only" 93.5" in 2010-11. We really didn't have a crazy stretch like that again in regards to precip and snowfall totals and whiplash really until the late 2000s, and its been like that ever since. 

I should do a post on that stretch and research some more. That's insane about 1889-90 as it was warm and snowless here. This is on my to-do list lol 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:38 AM, nwohweather said:

Largest dense fog advisory in US history?
24081dc336a23edff41cdd909690a9da.jpg

It is certainly this is an interesting question. Another thing related to this: As of recent years, I heard advisories are going to be phased out of the NWS entirely 2024. But it's 2024 now. I wonder if somebody can comment on that

Toledo had pea-soup fog with rain or drizzle in a lot of hours today

KTOL 241329Z AUTO 06004KT 1/4SM R25/3500VP6000FT -RA FG BKN017 OVC032 03/02 A3022 RMK AO2 P0004 T00280017

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chinook said:

It is certainly this is an interesting question. Another thing related to this: As of recent years, I heard advisories are going to be phased out of the NWS entirely 2024. But it's 2024 now. I wonder if somebody can comment on that

The last update I received advised that this year will be dedicated to outreach and training and the earliest that it will be implemented (phased in) is early next year.

We had the same weather down here at FWA yesterday, which annihilated the snowpack and it still around this morning.  It may stay around most of the day, but lift this evening as the next system moves in, which could drop another 1/2-3/4" of rain.

The rivers around here are already running high and this could send a couple into flood.  There are also a couple of rivers downstate with ice jams.

10 hours ago, Chinook said:

I thought that was just for WWAs?

10 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

@PowerballNope, it's for almost all advisories and all special weather statements. They will become "plain language headlines." Here is an overview of the changes:

https://www.weather.gov/hazardsimplification/revampprogress

Bad idea in my opinion. It’s more simple to know there’s a Winter Weather Advisory than issuing headlines 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

@PowerballNope, it's for almost all advisories and all special weather statements. They will become "plain language headlines." Here is an overview of the changes:

https://www.weather.gov/hazardsimplification/revampprogress

I remember when a WWA became the simplified headline for Snow and Freezing Rain Advisories.

• Like 1