Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Didn't look good at all to me.  It's a discombobulated mess

its total crap show as depicted.  warms  up just enought for rain then back to cold.  op run at range of course.  no tilt, no dig, no cold, no bueno

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

its total crap show as depicted.  warms  up just enought for rain then back to cold.  op run at range of course.  no tilt, no dig, no cold, no bueno

I like it, supports the general idea of a wave tracking to our south as the Euro showed.  Pretty decent consistency with the track this far out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

I like it, supports the general idea of a wave tracking to our south as the Euro showed.  Pretty decent consistency with the track this far out.

I guess but it really only has that south track going for it....as depicted...the 50/50 was mentioned.  also no CAD.  it's just a progressive wave that comes in on the heels of an arctic blast before it.  maybe it will improve.  not on the CMC op of course.  Thats also a terd wagon.  8 days out.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I guess but it really only has that south track going for it....as depicted...the 50/50 was mentioned.  also no CAD.  it's just a progressive wave that comes in on the heels of an arctic blast before it.  maybe it will improve.  not on the CMC op of course.  Thats also a terd wagon.  8 days out.  

Op CMC may look like a turd, but look at the last 4-6 runs. It's trended better and now looks similar to the GFS. We only need them both to trend a little better and maybe a bit more suppressed at these lead times. 

0z ensembles looked good on all 3

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Monster block traps the big low that runs through the lakes next weekend.... it goes over toronto then retrogrades back to SW of the hudson bay 

Pretty much what happens yes. It would be nice if that feature were further east towards the 50-50 region, but at this juncture there is a decent chance it wont be for that window. If so it just makes the outcome we want a bit more of a challenge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

It was still a big one three days out. Let see if models can do Anything accurate outside of 72 hours. 

This is what it actually looked like

Verify.thumb.png.e45f367b1055241ac5e05adee10547c5.png

This is what the ensembles said from 5 days out

126hours.thumb.png.9c7980dd90f7b90f4d3579126e9fbbc0.png

Good luck trying to do better than that on a 5 day forecast.  We KNOW global models underestimate mid level warming with these storms when there is no block and locked in confluence...we knew we didn't have that...anyone who was believing those snow maps from 5 days out and not realizing what was probably going to happen...well that is user error not the fault of the tools.  They did an amazing job and I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen from a LONG way out.  Like I said they are tools not a forecast, and most who know how to use those tools made pretty good forecasts IMO based on them.  Weenie posts in this thread does not mean skilled forecasters actually expected a lot of snow in DC 5 days out.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Op CMC may look like a turd, but look at the last 4-6 runs. It's trended better and now looks similar to the GFS. We only need them both to trend a little better and maybe a bit more suppressed at these lead times. 

0z ensembles looked good on all 3

Yes.  Agree.  I guess a lot of the fate of this rests on what happens with the storm before it on Saturday.  The one that gives my mom/dad 24 solid inches up in Rochester, MI.  

16 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yeah as depicted no bueno.  But hopefully will change.

GEFS looks good to me at 186....below normal temps and precip to our south.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yes.  Agree.  I guess a lot of the fate of this rests on what happens with the storm before it on Saturday.  The one that gives my mom/dad 24 solid inches up in Rochester, MI.  

You need to vist the folks and fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No shortage of activity at the very least. And while most here are interested in our own yards, the next 2 systems in the upper midwest will be amazing to see unfold from a sheer meteo standpoint. Some spots will get to witness true blizzard conditions within days of each other. So while we may not be tracking anything discrete here attm we can try and enjoy watching what this Nino is throwing at pasts of the US. That should give hope moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s a temporary relax. The winter’s over nonsense was started by that clown Cohen. It’s a temporary response to the MC forcing as the mjo progresses and the epo ridge sliding over into Russia. The tpv temporarily traverses the pole but it’s still weak and will get displaced again quickly once forcing gets out of the MC imo. 

Not just him but bluewave on the New York forum too. MJO strong wave in Maritime Continent is not where we want it. 

• Weenie 4