Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

First week of January looks like it could wind up steiny 

the 0z euro shows how if next Friday snuck a storm up the coast , the high might be in that all too familiar position position for the CP ..caveats @ 8.5 days out

@forkyforkMade a great point in the NYC thread to the effect that most of the El Nino comeback seasons began to do so in the second half of January....two notable exceptions that I can think of being January 1966 and 1987. 1987 is a poor Pacific match, but 1966, which was my favorite analog, is not.

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

February is a month where historically, we can rack up the snow numbers. We all could go into the last week of January and start February below-average in terms of snowfall and then come out of February quite a bit percent above. 

Yea, especially for the southeast coastal areas and down through the tristate area into the mid Atlantic. People are just so frustrated right know that they aren't really able to view this objectively and fully appreciate how quickly ground can be made up relative to climo in one fell swoop.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that’s been a popular period on the ensembles. Lower probability for something around 1/2. But that one has trended more sheared the last few cycles. 

It's always been about Dec 28 - Jan 7ish for me.  The fact that we're seeing some "hopes" ( for lack of better word) during said period of time may be more academic, but getting those hopes to overcome destructive physics -  It's always an interesting quandary to me how you can 'off-and-on' a storm appeal and then ultimately have it occur(not occur).   It means there were back ground physics for both in play - what decides which rules out and which rules in, that is a fascination to me. 

anyway, yup - wouldn't be surprised if the 4th-6th because to add to your statement .. an aspect of that popularity is that it's been in +trend

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’m gonna be that guy again, but current guidance shows BL warmth during that 4-6th timeframe. It’s not prohibitive to snow, but def limiting. POP also highest where surface is warmest. 

Still a ways away but as I see it, not enough to get excited about until/unless some big changes on the ensembles.

Yes or no to this ... I'm not personally implicating snow.  I'm saying there enhancing indication for a system there.

I will add that BL problems is endemic to the majority of D8-13 range 'signals' since 2015 really. 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yes or no to this ... I'm not personally implicating snow.  I'm saying there enhancing indication for a system there.

I will add that BL problems is endemic to the majority of D8-13 range 'signals' since 2015 really. 

Eh. Sure.

Perhaps we’re not evaluating these maps similarly. I’m doing more than just reading T values/anomalies but keying on which air masses are where. I.e., if signs indicate CP airmass just to our north/west, I wouldn’t be making the observation.

I’m in agreement that this window is best in a while, but still doesn’t look good imo. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’m gonna be that guy again, but current guidance shows BL warmth during that 4-6th timeframe. It’s not prohibitive to snow, but def limiting. POP also highest where surface is warmest. 

Still a ways away but as I see it, not enough to get excited about until/unless some big changes on the ensembles.

Agree, it's going to take some major changes to turn that into something that is a lot better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I agree. I see nothing to get worked up over. And I know John isn't...just saying.

I think we snooze until at least mid month and probably longer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1