Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Just now, NEG NAO said:

12Z GFS show a similar solution and that HP in southeast Canada will be critical

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_28.png

Yes...  objectively, how does the big flooding rain making Gulf States trough open up?  Flat east or somewhat as modeled (possibly delayed a little more?) and then how does the impinging northern stream short wave forcing on the flow across New England?  

Lots of options but I would not say snowstorm, nor would I say not a snowstorm somewhere between Charlottesville VA and ALB.

Best approach for me (no thread atom due a vast amount of uncertainties) is to keep an eye one the 5H ejection from the Gulf States in future cycles and hope that it makes it up to the Ohio River and the Mason Dixon line Monday.   I dont know what happens except that this 1/28-31 period has been on some of the modeling mind for a few days. It could be another snow hole here?  Just dont know but I can't be dismissive about possibilities.  I think the door is open a little bit. 

One other thing... I want this closed low intact if it comes out through NJ-DE.  If it loses a lot of its indentity, is will look weaker and zip away. For nw, there is no sign of the 500 intensifying as whatever transfer off the mid Atlantic coast, so it wont be a forever event. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

The other thing that is hostile is how the trough has a strong positive tilt. That alone supports a well out to sea solution. I see no way that the end of the month becomes a major coastal snowstorm despite what some operational runs may show

there hasn't been a major coastal snowstorm in over 2 years nobody ever said that is possible

1 minute ago, wdrag said:

Yes...  objectively, how does the big flooding rain making Gulf States trough open up?  Flat east or somewhat as modeled (possibly delayed a little more?) and then how does the impinging northern stream short wave forcing on the flow across New England?  

Lots of options but I would not say snowstorm, nor would I say not a snowstorm somewhere between Charlottesville VA and ALB.

Best approach for me (no thread atom due a vast amount of uncertainties) is to keep an eye one the 5H ejection from the Gulf States in future cycles and hope that it makes it up to the Ohio River and the Mason Dixon line Monday.   I dont know what happens except that this 1/28-31 period has been on some of the modeling mind for a few days. It could be another snow hole here?  Just dont know but I can't be dismissive about possibilities.  I think the door is open a little bit. 

One other thing... I want this closed low intact if it comes out through NJ-DE.  If it loses a lot of its indentity, is will look weaker and zip away. For nw, there is no sign of the 500 intensifying as whatever transfer off the mid Atlantic coast, so it wont be a forever event. 

need the cold enough air and HP to arrive in southeast Canada first and cold enough air here first before the storm moves towards it but that doesn't seem to be on the table as of now - still some sort of possibilities for changes in timings of these features ??

31 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

so what you're telling me is, we're gonna torch for a few weeks then by mid feb we have a shot at another snowy peroid?

He’s saying late February and March actually. If we follow the same pattern progression as December/January it would take until after mid-February to go cold again. That said, this is quite the change from what he was saying. He had expected all of February to be a slam dunk cold and snowy pattern, then a big warmup early-mid March. Now he’s saying  *possibly* a flip to colder late February and March as the forcing/MJO goes back into the IO

@Allsnow Sorry *likely*

• Weenie 5

8 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not sure we torch but probably above average with few snow chances

considering how weird the weather has been around here the last 2 years have to keep our options open for the last few days of January to see if we get one of those frozen events that happen sometimes in an unfavorable  pattern IMO......

Just now, snowman19 said:

He’s saying late February and March now actually. If we follow the same pattern progression as December/January it would take until after mid-February to go cold again. That said, this is quite the change from what he was saying. He had expected all of February to be a slam dunk cold and snowy pattern, then a big warmup early-mid March. Now he’s saying  *possibly* a flip to colder late February and March as the forcing/MJO goes back into the IO

nobody knows for sure all guess work.......just like the winter outlooks written in November/December that flopped 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

considering how weird the weather has been around here the last 2 years have to keep our options open for the last few days of January to see if we get one of those frozen events that happen sometimes in a bad pattern IMO......

Yep look at how we mostly got skunked in a relatively good pattern

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

He’s saying late February and March now actually. If we follow the same pattern progression as December/January it would take until after mid-February to go cold again. That said, this is quite the change from what he was saying. He had expected all of February to be a slam dunk cold and snowy pattern, then a big warmup early-mid March. Now he’s saying  *possibly* a flip to colder late February and March as the forcing/MJO goes back into the IO

Damn S19! Just when I finally figured out MJO 8-1-2 and its relation to Anthony’s screen name ….. you hit us with 10. As always ….

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

He’s saying late February and March actually. If we follow the same pattern progression as December/January it would take until after mid-February to go cold again. That said, this is quite the change from what he was saying. He had expected all of February to be a slam dunk cold and snowy pattern, then a big warmup early-mid March. Now he’s saying  *possibly* a flip to colder late February and March as the forcing/MJO goes back into the IO

I don’t think he is saying “possibly” 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

@Allsnow Sorry *likely*

Just saying that I didn’t read that tweet as him implying “possibly”…

Do I agree with it? No. I think we get one more week in late February and that will be it 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Just saying that I didn’t read that tweet as him implying “possibly”…

Do I agree with it? No. I think we get one more week in late February and that will be it 

We'll get opportunities for sure. I still think we could get at least one KU style storm a la 82/83 this winter.

Watching end of Jan with that PNA spike and then mid Feb with Nino climo + potential blocking setting up. 

+PNA should be transient but ensembles have been trending more amplified with it which should cause more cold air in the east.

March is a wild card but could be active. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The other thing that is hostile is how the trough has a strong positive tilt. That alone supports a well out to sea solution. I see no way that the end of the month becomes a major coastal snowstorm despite what some operational runs may show

I suspect that if it snows near the end of the month, and that's not certain, it would be a light snowfall. A lot of the forecast pattern would need to change for there to be a real opportunity for a moderate or greater snowfall. At present, the operational 12z ECMWF is an outlier relative to its own ensembles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

@Allsnow Sorry *likely*

He thinks around the 1st week of February we transition. 

• Like 1

Strong ENSO Climatology:

image.png

A Pair of Hideous Maps:

image.thumb.png.2b6489b55800421911da8ff7d8808baa.png

image.thumb.png.7b73cfe9870e8ee143bdb38d201b7067.png

It should be noted that skill deteriorates during Week 2. It remains more likely than not that the maps are showing a pause in Winter 2023-24, not its demise, even as the CFSv2 is showing a February 2016-type outcome with almost coast-to-coast warmth. A lot more evidence would be needed to adopt the more extreme idea that Winter 2023-24 is all but finished.

• Like 2