Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

33 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Short range op GFS insistent on a more neg tilt while Euro has trended more neg the past 4 runs. 

3K NAM trended more neutral tilt in recent run, but its a meso model so not sure how much we should weight it on synoptic trends (probably none)

I assume you mean the WRF-FV3?  I noticed it went the other way v the NAM.  Guess we will know soon when the global come in if the NAM was just a hiccup. NAMs are jumpy as F and cause so many early panics because they come out first each suite, that’s kinda unfortunate. If they came out last we would ignore all their tangents. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So far the 12z models seem to want to keep the surface warmer than they were last night. Soundings last night had snow falling with 33 degree temps at the surface here. 12z suite so far is 37-38. 

HRRR looks the same wrt surface. Fv3 actually is 1-2 degrees colder at Winchester overnight. Around 34-35 during the snow. The NAMs went warmer because they totally lost the precipice out west. The NAM went less amplified and shifted the precip out before the cold gets there so you’re warmer. But if the NAM is correct what’s it matter since you miss all the precip from the wave behind the front anyways. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

That was bizarre. That was the longest rumble of thunder I have ever heard by far. Seemed like it went on for 30-45 seconds.

I’m concerned the sonic waves could disrupt the hemispheric energies necessary for the propagation of the thermal boundary.  Why hasn’t it changed over yet?  Radar looks like crap.  I can see the back edge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I assume you mean the WRF-FV3?  I noticed it went the other way v the NAM.  Guess we will know soon when the global come in if the NAM was just a hiccup. NAMs are jumpy as F and cause so many early panics because they come out first each suite, that’s kinda unfortunate. If they came out last we would ignore all their tangents. 

No, I just meant the regular GFS. Was looking 12-18 hours ahead

That was bizarre. That was the longest rumble of thunder I have ever heard by far. Seemed like it went on for 30-45 seconds.

I heard a similar rolling thunder in Frederick around 9am. Thought it was a truck…might still have been, but timing corresponded with the heavier precip.

9 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

HREF has many of us NW of 95 switching to snow before midnight, not sure how good it is w winter

Before midnight?    I guess it depends how you define "many of us NW of 95", but it looks to me to show that occurring just after midnight.    The HREF is just averaging the HRRR, NAM Nest, and Hires Windows - the most recent 2 cycles of each.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

Before midnight?    I guess it depends how you define "many of us NW of 95", but it looks to me to show that occurring just after midnight.    The HREF is just averaging the HRRR, NAM Nest, and Hires Windows - the most recent 2 cycles of each.

for kgai its between 11pm and 12am

22 minutes ago, high risk said:

I don’t think it matters much.  By midnight places west of the fall line are cold enough above the boundary layer to support snow. But the surface is still torched.  The exact time of the flip seems partially dependent on when heavy precip arrives. Some runs have a lull between waves and the flip is delayed. But these tend to be the more amplified solutions and they end to with more precip later when the boundary has cooled and that’s better. The runs that flip sooner are more progressive and end the precip earlier. 

• Like 2

I don’t think it matters much.  By midnight places west of the fall line are cold enough above the boundary layer to support snow. But the surface is still torched.  The exact time of the flip seems partially dependent on when heavy precip arrives. Some runs have a lull between waves and the flip is delayed. But these tend to be the more amplified solutions and they end to with more precip later when the boundary has cooled and that’s better. The runs that flip sooner are more progressive and end the precip earlier. 

So what you are saying is we can’t go wrong