• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

Currently battling a bout of strep throat at the moment, so I’ve been out of it. 

Biggest story will be the abundance of moisture with the system which will help get some much needed water into the region to curb the drought. Not a bad thing heading into winter. 

As for snow, system is very dynamic, but will come down to the low-mid lvl CAA regime as the storm matures and rolls into occlusion phase. I don’t buy the crazy totals the NAM is implying, but there’s a decent chance many of us see some flakes this go around with light accumulations possible across areas along and north of I-70. Details can change over time, but this isn’t a textbook moderate snowfall for our area, but it’s one where people can get on the board. 

Idk if I’ll ever have any forecast for this one, so I’ll follow along and chime in when I can. Strep sucks. That is all :shiver:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

For the love of God, please stop showing the 10:1 maps.     This type of event with marginal temps and warm ground screams for the positive snow depth product.

if none of it is gonna stick, i'd rather look at the raw output of how much would be falling rates wise rather than caring about snow depth

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Fun to see this thread rocking with some good vibes.  Helluva lot better than the doom and gloom that some like to go with.

Exactly.

We all know that it’s less likely to rip snow for three hours and lay down 3” of mashed potatoes than it is to f*cking dump buckets and end as a few mangled flakes, but we’ve got vibes…and vibes are good right now.

It’s been a f’ing dumpster fire for the last 12 months, so let’s enjoy the relatively unrealistic NAM until tomorrow’s runs slap us with some reality!

:lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Exactly.

We all know that it’s less likely to rip snow for three hours and lay down 3” of mashed potatoes than it is to f*cking dump buckets and end as a few mangled flakes, but we’ve got vibes…and vibes are good right now.

It’s been a f’ing dumpster fire for the last 12 months, so let’s enjoy the relatively unrealistic NAM until tomorrow’s runs slap us with some reality!

I was hoping you’d find a 3rd way of typing fuc*ing differently.  :snowing:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Exactly.

How much Other Half Brewing you into this evening? :lol:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Currently battling a bout of strep throat at the moment, so I’ve been out of it. 

Biggest story will be the abundance of moisture with the system which will help get some much needed water into the region to curb the drought. Not a bad thing heading into winter. 

As for snow, system is very dynamic, but will come down to the low-mid lvl CAA regime as the storm matures and rolls into occlusion phase. I don’t buy the crazy totals the NAM is implying, but there’s a decent chance many of us see some flakes this go around with light accumulations possible across areas along and north of I-70. Details can change over time, but this isn’t a textbook moderate snowfall for our area, but it’s one where people can get on the board. 

Idk if I’ll ever have any forecast for this one, so I’ll follow along and chime in when I can. Strep sucks. That is all :shiver:

That's rough stuff ! I hope/ pray for a speedy recovery. 

• Like 2

Flood Watch

Flood Watch National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC 816 PM EST Fri Dec 8 2023 DCZ001-MDZ006-008-011-013-014-016-504-506>508-VAZ053>055-502-527- 090930- /O.NEW.KLWX.FA.A.0013.231210T1800Z-231211T0600Z/ /00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/ District of Columbia-Northern Baltimore-Cecil-Southern Baltimore- Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-Charles-Central and Southeast Montgomery-Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford- Southeast Harford-Fairfax-Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria- Stafford-Southern Fauquier-Central and Southeast Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park- Including the cities of South Gate, Manassas, Falls Church, Annapolis, Silver Spring, Chantilly, Bethesda, Arnold, Severna Park, Alexandria, Aberdeen, Reston, Arlington, Gaithersburg, Reisterstown, Franconia, Turnbull, Jarrettsville, Cockeysville, Glen Burnie, Washington, Laurel, Lake Ridge, Suitland-Silver Hill, Herndon, Falmouth, Severn, Dale City, Centreville, Clinton, Columbia, Odenton, Ellicott City, College Park, Annandale, Rockville, Camp Springs, Waldorf, St. Charles, McLean, Montclair, Woodbridge, Greenbelt, Baltimore, Elkton, and Bowie 816 PM EST Fri Dec 8 2023 ...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT... * WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible. * WHERE...Portions of DC, including the following , District of Columbia, Maryland, including the following areas, Anne Arundel, Cecil, Central and Southeast Howard, Central and Southeast Montgomery, Charles, Northern Baltimore, Northwest Harford, Prince Georges, Southeast Harford and Southern Baltimore, and northern Virginia, including the following areas, Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria, Central and Southeast Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park, Fairfax, Southern Fauquier and Stafford. * WHEN...From Sunday afternoon through late Sunday night. * IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations. Flooding may occur in poor drainage and urban areas. Storm drains and ditches may become clogged with debris. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - Two to three inches of rain are expected Sunday through late Sunday night with the heaviest rains falling during the afternoon and evening. This amount of rain could cause flooding of small streams, creeks and urban areas. - Please visit www.weather.gov/safety/flood for flood safety and preparedness information PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop

44 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Have 2 kids with it all this week, so i feel for ya.   Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Like 1

Question: Why don't ensembles work as well once you get into the short range? I've heard it mentioned here but never quite understood the why.

per chat GPT (lol)

The GEFS (Global Ensemble Forecast System) and the GFS (Global Forecast System) are related, with GEFS being an ensemble system derived from GFS. In the short range, GFS tends to outperform GEFS due to its higher resolution and more sophisticated modeling techniques, providing a more detailed representation of atmospheric conditions. Ensembles like GEFS shine in longer-range forecasts where they capture a range of possible outcomes, helping account for uncertainties in the atmosphere's initial state.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

That front in 1995 kicked  off epic 95-96 

I remember, my cousin and I took a jebwalk out in that one. Will never forget it. 

And then it didn’t snow at all through the entire december, and we were complaining “it never snows here anymore”. Then… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I remember, my cousin and I took a jebwalk out in that one. Will never forget it. 

And then it didn’t snow at all through the entire december, and we were complaining “it never snows here anymore”. Then… 

I remember getting a couple minor snows in December in northern VA. Nothing major, just a couple 1-3” type events. 

• nj2va changed the title to 12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event
  • stormtracker unpinned this topic