• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Light coating on the grass here at home. Looks like I’ve succumbed to the back edge though so that may be it for me until the NW flow stuff starts setting up overnight and early tomorrow.

Took the 5 mile drive up to the top of Wopsy and there’s a couple inches pasted to everything up there. About put the Subaru in the ditch (Blizzaks aren’t on yet) to bring the goods haha. Road went from snowcovered over wet pavement to snowcovered over frozen near the top.

IMG_4802.thumb.jpeg.3aad4bd3fe8e1c3b8001b3e7e39dbc60.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12:55a: A midnight surprise. I have been skeptical about Williamsport getting any snow due to temps. Earlier tonight NWS said low would be 33, about 5 degrees lower than earlier; Wunderground still says 38.

So I am very surprised to see new Special Weather Statement calling for periods of heavy snow in certain places through 4a. They are putting very heavy emphasis on poor driving conditions. I am afraid lots of early drivers over here won't bother to recheck weather. They are talking lots more about driving hazards here than they usually do for a lot more snow. Hmmm.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
1244 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2023

PAZ019-026>028-035-036-045-046-049-050-056-110945-Southern Centre-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Fulton-Franklin-Southern Clinton-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-Perry-
1244 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2023

...SNOW TO IMPACT TRAVEL EARLY THIS MORNING...

Rain has changed to wet snow across the higher elevations as of midnight and this changeover will work down to the valley floors by 2 AM.

The formation of one or more nearly north to south bands of
enhanced snowfall will create heavy snowfall rates of over 1 inch per hour through 4 am and drop the visibility down to just several hundred feet for a 15 to 20 minute period.

Air and road Temperatures in the valley floors will remain at or
just above freezing through 2 am, while higher elevations over
1400 feet above sea level will see the road temperatures drop to around 30 degrees with the road surface becoming snow and slush covered. This will lead to poor traction and much extended braking distance that will greatly increase the threat for accidents if good driving practices aren`t used.

Persons traveling overnight should be alert for a wide range of visibility and road conditions. Allow extra time for travel and
keep plenty of braking distance between you and the vehicle
ahead. Postpone unnecessary travel if possible until late this
morning.

Just now, mitchnick said:

The hills are alive with the sound of melting...

20231211_071516.heic 1.61 MB · 1 download

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu

One thing I am seeing in reports is that the models showing a bonus area in N Central MD got their wish.  PSU got 4" and saw another report of over 3". 

32 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Huge difference between home (southern York county) and work (Mount Joy). Looked like over an inch at home but just a coating here in Lancaster county.

Looks like a rare "win" for us LSV'rs for a transition over to some snow.  Just a light coating from my house to Etown, but I'll still say it was a win for me.  It'll be gone in an hour or 2 but was nice all the same.