• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

I'm not a Lake Michigan lake effect expert...I'm legitimately curious to see if the band can become focused enough to produce 1"+ per hour rates for a length of time or if the stronger winds will lead to a more general spray of moderate snow. The instability and synoptic support are robust, so if a focused band can develop rates of 1-2" per hour would result and the warnings would work out. However, some models struggle to focus a band in the face of the 40 knot low-level flow. Somewhat "marginal" surface temperatures and daytime timing of the heaviest snow could limit accumulation efficiency if it's more of a general spray of snow, so while there'd be poor conditions and some travel impacts accumulations would struggle to verify a warning. It feels like nasty travel conditions are likely to carry well inland in squalls, so the expansion of the advisory seems like a good move...I just don't have a great feel on how widespread any 6"+ totals would be. 

7 hours ago, OHweather said:

I'm not a Lake Michigan lake effect expert...I'm legitimately curious to see if the band can become focused enough to produce 1"+ per hour rates for a length of time or if the stronger winds will lead to a more general spray of moderate snow. The instability and synoptic support are robust, so if a focused band can develop rates of 1-2" per hour would result and the warnings would work out. However, some models struggle to focus a band in the face of the 40 knot low-level flow. Somewhat "marginal" surface temperatures and daytime timing of the heaviest snow could limit accumulation efficiency if it's more of a general spray of snow, so while there'd be poor conditions and some travel impacts accumulations would struggle to verify a warning. It feels like nasty travel conditions are likely to carry well inland in squalls, so the expansion of the advisory seems like a good move...I just don't have a great feel on how widespread any 6"+ totals would be. 

It may have been decided to make a more blanket coverage of the worst condition areas, even if it doesn't technically meet warning criteria. The alternative would be issuing an Advisory, then having to issue long-lived, multiple Snow Squall Warnings for the affected area.  However, their morning disco doesn't give a clue as to why they went this route.

8 hours ago, OHweather said:

I can't speak for the south end of Lake Michigan where they can get a pretty long fetch but in my area high winds like they are forecasting seem to never lead to decent snow amounts.  The bands either get pushed too far inland, they don't stay on one place, or the dendrites get broken up resulting in a very fine snow.  I guess we will see how this one works out for those in far SW Michigan and Northern Indiana.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

It may have been decided to make a more blanket coverage of the worst condition areas, even if it doesn't technically meet warning criteria. The alternative would be issuing an Advisory, then having to issue long-lived, multiple Snow Squall Warnings for the affected area.  However, their morning disco doesn't give a clue as to why they went this route.

We can issue Snow Squall Warnings on top of an Advisory (can not do warning on warning), although I’m guessing in practice you won’t see many offices doing them for longer-lived features like lake effect bands when the forecast and longer fused headlines can cover the threat. I certainly don’t have any issue with IWX and GRR going for warnings given the setup. On my quick thumb through I noticed some models really struggled to focus a band and had less snow so I’m curious to see how it ends up playing as an outside observer. The activity is intense right now but probably needs to consolidate more at some point to reach the forecast amounts. Unfortunately with lake effect, as we all know, to get lead time on warnings sometimes you have to go for it before you’re 100% confident in order to have a desirable POD (percent of detection) and lead time. In this case it’s not like it won’t snow and have impacts so I doubt anyone is going to fret the warnings too much in the end, I’m more curious about how the amounts pan out. 

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

I can't speak for the south end of Lake Michigan where they can get a pretty long fetch but in my area high winds like they are forecasting seem to never lead to decent snow amounts.  The bands either get pushed too far inland, they don't stay on one place, or the dendrites get broken up resulting in a very fine snow.  I guess we will see how this one works out for those in far SW Michigan and Northern Indiana.

Yeah that was my concern as well, as that’s what often happens off of Erie with strong winds. But I’m curious if the longer fetch can help overcome it or not. The winds may start backing off with fairly favorable conditions still in place for a time the first half of tonight but look pretty strong through today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

When I lived at Houghton (MTU) the best LES events seem to come with 10-20 MPH winds.  To strong of winds and they rarely  produced as forecasted; however; that is when we would occasionally get the big squalls with a few inches in a matter of minutes.   

We had a nice convective squall roll through late morning here, with visibilities dropping to a few hundred feet and thundersnow reported to my southeast.  Picked up a quick inch. Since then, we have been getting remnants off of the lake. A primary band looks to be forming, located from just east of SBN to FWA. Those areas could get a quick couple of inches before it migrates.