• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

1973 with a warmer Atlantic would probably be a 2-3 month window of very powerful, wet storms, with marginal cold for a lot of the Eastern US.  You'd force a lot of the fluke super cold/strong storms to the north with southern heat already building up from the south. Atlantic was frigid in the early 1970s. 

1972-73 is the snowiest winter/cold season on record in a lot of interior West. I don't expect that this year, but it's a pretty special winter for a lot of the country, including the southern US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS, looking for a chilly Christmas?  South Florida, Cuba and the Yucatán!

IMG_2299.png

Again, 2-3 degrees warmer than average isn’t warm in late December.  And what does the 2 degree departure from average over an entire week have to do with discrete snow chances?  What were the average temp anomalies for the week where I just got 2.7” and much of this board got 1-4”?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ji said:

emoji47.pngemoji3062.png

Keep in mind I can find a one week snapshot in some good nino years that look somewhat like that. 
Dec 1957

IMG_0357.gif.2e1f27fd31845ddbe35cbd8066fa3290.gif

Dec 1965

IMG_0356.gif.0e1ad57765f768dce16a5031b23fd03e.gif

Dec 1986

IMG_0355.gif.12f6784525943f53d8605734346c40e2.gif

It’s not the end of the world if a week in December looks like crap and resembles 1973/1992. The problem with those years was the whole winter was like that!  As I said before some good ninos had a stretch like this in Dec. The good/bad years diverged around new years. We will know soon how this is heading!  

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

1973 with a warmer Atlantic would probably be a 2-3 month window of very powerful, wet storms, with marginal cold for a lot of the Eastern US.  You'd force a lot of the fluke super cold/strong storms to the north with southern heat already building up from the south. Atlantic was frigid in the early 1970s. 

1972-73 is the snowiest winter/cold season on record in a lot of interior West. I don't expect that this year, but it's a pretty special winter for a lot of the country, including the southern US.

Yeah, was thinking similarly. Would possibly allow systems that tracked across the deep South then to travel further North. 

35 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

7 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah, was thinking similarly. Would possibly allow systems that tracked across the deep South then to travel further North. 

Today’s raging pacific with that incredibly +AO is likely a disaster.  Next week on guidance doesn’t exactly look promising for snow.  Let’s just hope we don’t have to test that theory. 

1973, 1992 and 1995 failed primarily because the NAO/AO were positive. 1998 the AO/NAO flipped negative but the North Pac vortex was just out of control and flooded pac puke all winter regardless of the nao. 1998 was extremely east based though and combined with a colder pac profile around ENSO created maybe the greatest contrast which likely lead to the strength and displacement east of the pacific nino long wave pattern.  Other than 1998 which was an anomaly, the other analogs all fell in line snowy or not based on the NAO. 

1958, 1966, 1987, 2010 the NAO was negative. 
1973, 1992, 1995 the NAO was positive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Today’s raging pacific with that incredibly +AO is likely a disaster.  Next week on guidance doesn’t exactly look promising for snow.  Let’s just hope we don’t have to test that theory. 

1973, 1992 and 1995 failed primarily because the NAO/AO were positive. 1998 the AO/NAO flipped negative but the North Pac vortex was just out of control and flooded pac puke all winter regardless of the nao. 1998 was extremely east based though and combined with a colder pac profile around ENSO created maybe the greatest contrast which likely lead to the strength and displacement east of the pacific nino long wave pattern.  Other than 1998 which was an anomaly, the other analogs all fell in line snowy or not based on the NAO. 

1958, 1966, 1987, 2010 the NAO was negative. 
1973, 1992, 1995 the NAO was positive. 

Don Sutherland had some research on -NAO in November correlating to -NAO winters so.....i think we just need to fast forward 2 weeks so we can stop guessing lol

1 minute ago, Ji said:

Don Sutherland had some research on -NAO in November correlating to -NAO winters so.....i think we just need to fast forward 2 weeks so we can stop guessing lol

Yeah man this is like watching a high stakes game where you are hiding your face because ya can't watch, yet keep looking with one eye, hoping for the best yet having the worst keep flashing before you too, lol The suspense is magnified given our recent stretch (if we'd done better the last 7 years it wouldn't feel as tense!)

• Like 1

Yeah man this is like watching a high stakes game where you are hiding your face because ya can't watch, yet keep looking with one eye, hoping for the best yet having the worst keep flashing before you too, lol The suspense is magnified given our recent stretch (if we'd done better the last 7 years it wouldn't feel as tense!)
Psu is in mid-season form and it's terrifying. It's like falling off the titanic and someone hands you a napkin instead of life raft

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

i wouldn’t worry. i haven’t seen any reason why this year won’t deliver. if we’re in the same spot in a month with crap on the horizon for 10 days, then it’s time to worry

• Like 7

The special characteristic of 1973 from my research is the recurring volatility of two long lived patterns during short periods. I'm just saying...you'd have more chances than you think. The variation is so fast and dynamic the monthly indexes are almost irrelevant by month.

You can see a pretty clear 45 day-cycle of cold reaching the east in that pattern. Early January, late February, early April. You can also see a 45-day tendency for super heat in the East as well- late January, early March, late April. AO was overall positive in Jan-Mar 1973...but you know...still pretty damn cold at times.

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-17-46-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-18-04-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-18-29-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-18-49-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-19-09-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-19-27-PM

Screenshot-2023-12-12-8-19-46-PM

Apr 16-30 was also very warm in the East, per the pattern.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

The 2/4/95 event was a pretty nice one for I-95.  K/U event.  I think the pattern was garbage and we thread the needle.  But yeah, at least around here the winter mostly sucked outside of that.  I think 72-73 is a better overall analog than 94-95 in terms of bad winters.. of course that winter was a total debacle.  I'm not concerned yet.  December isnt a winter month.

just refreshing my memory (I remember a good amount of snow in the Shenandoah Valley - we were trying to drive to Massanutten to go skiing): http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1995/04-Feb-95.html

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

6z GEFS didn't really follow up with the colder look. Barely a hint of a coastal low for that period and NA looks more like previous runs. More watching.

OP runs have been keying in on a wave break into central Canada. this would be a much more interesting look if it retrogrades into NW Canada or Greenland like it has over the last few runs

gfs_z500a_namer_fh210_trend.thumb.gif.91f4a5e074a8419635b0aa75b1858e78.gif

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic