Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

39 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I preferred Doug Hill over Bob Ryan. 

Ryan used to always downplay big storms and completely whiffed on Jan 25, 2000… while Doug admitted on live TV that he was “suspicious” that models were wrong about it going OTS. 

I agree . Ryan would always be too low on the big ones but would increase his forecast as the storm was on going. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I agree . Ryan would always be too low on the big ones but would increase his forecast as the storm was on going. 

Yeah, he always seemed to be playing from behind. I remember that during the Jan 1996 storm, we had about 20” on the ground and the snow lightened up in intensity. I was worried the storm was almost over, but Bob said “another 6-12 inches coming overnight”. Was doing the math in my head and thinking holy shit, I could get 30 inches!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m pretty sure Doug Hill was a PG cop that was a weather enthusiast. I’m not sure he had a met degree when he started on TV but am probably wrong. Regardless, I used to love watching him and Glenn Brenner banter.

Doug Hill was my dude when I was a kid (even in the Valley we got WUSA9).  Now we probably watch the other Doug the most - although still like Topper.

• Like 2

Just now, clskinsfan said:

What? Dude created the golden snow shovel ffs. He would literally take his entire segment to salivate about snow. I am sensing a whole bunch of Marylanders up in here who never watched him

I didnt watch him much . Just saw him sporadically.  Maybe i just caught him at  less then favorable times for snow. Been many years

What? Dude created the golden snow shovel ffs. He would literally take his entire segment to salivate about snow. I am sensing a whole bunch of Marylanders up in here who never watched him
No weatherman hates snow...especially bob Ryan. He created the weather machine for God's sake! Lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks like a zonal flow for awhile with any significant shortwaves tracking to our north. Not the best for rain chances.
Weeklies hinted at pna spike for Thanksgiving before the crapper fest starts again. I did like where we were headed mid December. They also had 5 inches of liquid starting about Nov 20th

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ji said:

No weatherman hates snow...especially bob Ryan. He created the weather machine for God's sake! Lol

100% agreed!  here is a clip of Bob Ryan and Topper Shut Interview a while back.  Bob even says he's a Snow Lover at 4:34.  Its cool to go back and watch old weather weenies talk about the past! (kind of like we do here)  https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+ryan+golden+snowshovel&oq=bob+ryan+golden+snowshovel&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKABMgcIAhAhGKsCMgcIAxAhGKsC0gEIOTg3NGoxajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7e4d1b34,vid:7I60LilzFbQ,st:0

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Yep I've been saying it for months... this Nino isn't acting like a Nino.

Agreed...the southern stream has been practically non-existent for most of the year with most of the storms riding the high latitudes.  That seems very Nina'ish, though maybe the gom will open up as the jet streams sinks farther south.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Agreed...the southern stream has been practically non-existent for most of the year with most of the storms riding the high latitudes.  That seems very Nina'ish, though maybe the gom will open up as the jet streams sinks farther south.

I remember in Oct. 2009 we had the back-to-back mid-October coastals, both with big rain totals and four consecutive record lowest maxes at BWI. This pattern literally reloaded in February. If I saw something like that happen this month, I might get excited for the 09-10 analogs being thrown about lately.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

Doug Hill was my dude when I was a kid (even in the Valley we got WUSA9).  Now we probably watch the other Doug the most - although still like Topper.

Yeah as kid, (and I have no idea if this was even true or not now that I'm in my forties), but it seemed like he always had a more serious demeanor which for some reason just jived with how seriously I took the weather :) But I also miss the days of minimalist local on the 8's weather forecasts...

4 minutes ago, rollenwiese said:

Yeah as kid, (and I have no idea if this was even true or not now that I'm in my forties), but it seemed like he always had a more serious demeanor which for some reason just jived with how seriously I took the weather :) But I also miss the days of minimalist local on the 8's weather forecasts...

The owners or whoever makes decisions for the weather channel screwed it up by having these weird shows at night instead of actual live weather! It makes ZERO sense on what they do now lol

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB Can. for February this month compared to last month.  More ridging in Western Can. Less trough in East.  Does it mean anything?  Tell you in March.

IMG_1860.png

IMG_1861.png

Looks like in the latest edition everything just seems more smoothed out with lesser anomalies in both directions. The same general idea is still there.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic