• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

Should get down to about 29 here tonight. Always a little sad to see the growing season come to an end, but it's certainly time now that we're into early november. Most of the stuff in my vegetable garden has fizzled out anyway. One thing that always goes very strong right up until frost is the pole lima beans, so I'm going outside now to pick the last big batch. 

16 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Should get down to about 29 here tonight. Always a little sad to see the growing season come to an end, but it's certainly time now that we're into early november. Most of the stuff in my vegetable garden has fizzled out anyway. One thing that always goes very strong right up until frost is the pole lima beans, so I'm going outside now to pick the last big batch. 

even the annuals start to fizzle out due to declining sun hours and sun angle

• Like 2

48 and partly cloudy to mostly cloudy.  First freeze for many west/outside metro.  Dry and cool next few days.  Moderate back to and above normal 11/4 - 11/7.  perhaps the streak is broken and a fully dry rain free this weekend. 

Cool down 11/8 - 11/11 - storm chances. 

vis_nj_anim.gif

33 minutes ago, LAVistaNY said:

I can confirm- I live in Westchester just west of Wilton an I saw wet snow flakes!

7 minutes ago, NCPOW said:

We had a brief sleet shower in Ardsley. 

Damn! So close and I got bupkis :(

Re: Garden - Mine gave up because it's just too wet and it hasn't really dried out since early September but the marigold bush is thriving and I'm still getting a cup of plump, tasty raspberries nearly every day  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

even the annuals start to fizzle out due to declining sun hours and sun angle

That’s exactly it. Solar insulation is too low for true tropicals. Meanwhile native plants are still doing excellent. Tonight should give the tropicals a nice beating in the city, but not enough to completely freeze them solid like in past years. 

Records:

High:

EWR; 85 (1950)
NYC: 84 (1950)
LGA; 83 (1950)

Low:

EWR: 31 (1954)
NYc: 30 (1885)
LGA: 37 (1976)

Historical:

1848: When Joseph Henry came to the Smithsonian, one of his priorities was to set up a meteorological program. In 1847, while outlining his plan for the new institution, Henry called for "a system of extended meteorological observations for solving American storms." On November 1st, 1848, Joseph Henry and Navy meteorologist James Espy wrote a letter urging anyone interested in becoming a weather observer to signify their willingness to do so. By 1849, he had budgeted $1,000 for the Smithsonian meteorological project and established a network of some 150 volunteer weather observers. A decade later, the project had more than 600 volunteer observers, including people in Canada, Mexico, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Its cost in 1860 was $4,400, or thirty percent of the Smithsonian's research and publication budget.

1861 - A hurricane near Cape Hatteras, NC, battered a Union fleet of ships attacking Carolina ports, and produced high tides and high winds in New York State and New England. (David Ludlum)

1870: United States Army Signal Corps observers at 24 sites around the country simultaneously made weather reports and transmitted them to Washington, where a national weather map would be drawn. These simultaneous reports also started the process of sending out weather reports by telegraph to metropolitan newspapers. This would be the beginning of our present-day National Weather Service.

1966 - Santa Anna winds fanned fires, and brought record November heat to parts of coastal California. November records included 86 degrees at San Francisco, 97 degrees at San Diego, and 101 degrees at the International airport in Los Angeles. Fires claimed the lives of at least sixteen firefighters. (The Weather Channel)

1968 - A tornado touched down west of Winslow, AZ, but did little damage in an uninhabited area. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Early morning thunderstorms in central Arizona produced hail an inch in diameter at Williams and Gila Bend, and drenched Payson with 1.86 inches of rain. Hannagan Meadows AZ, meanwhile, was blanketed with three inches of snow. Unseasonably warm weather prevailed across the Ohio Valley. Afternoon highs of 76 degrees at Beckley WV, 77 degrees at Bluefield WV, and 83 degrees at Lexington KY were records for the month of November. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Low pressure brought gales and locally heavy rain to the northeastern U.S. The rainfall total of 1.46 inches at Newark NJ was a record for the date. New York City was soaked with more than two inches of rain. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - A strong cold front ushered snow and arctic air into the north central U.S. Snow whitened North Dakota and the Central High Plains Region. Up to five inches of snow blanketed Denver CO. Yellowstone Park WY was the cold spot in the nation with a morning low of 4 degrees below zero. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2014: Up to 6 inches of snow fell in Gilbert, South Carolina. 

Yeah, sustained cold has been non-existent since the super El Niño in 15-16. The best cold periods were late Dec 17 into early Jan 18 and Jan 22. 

NYC

Feb 23…+5.2

Jan 23…+9.8

Dec 22…-0.6

…………..+4.8

Feb 22….+1.4

Jan 22….-3.2

Dec 21….+4.7

……………..+1.0

Feb 21….-1.7

Jan 21….+1.1

Dec 20…+1.7

…………..+0.4

Feb 20…+4.8

Jan 20….+6.5

Dec 19….+0.8

…………….+4.0

Feb 19….+0.9

Jan 19….-0.1

Dec 18…+2.6

…………….+1.1

Feb 18…+6.7

Jan 18….-0.9

Dec 17…..-2.5

…………….+1.1

Feb 17…..+6.3

Jan 17….+5.4

Dec 16….+0.8

…………….+4.2

Feb 16….+2.4

Jan 16….+1.9

Dec 15….+13.3

…………….+5.9

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

It would be great to just have sustained average and cool temps. Looking ahead it does not look like that will happen, but we can hope!

At least you saw snow today. It was all around me but failed to find my hill. 

All the freeze watch stuff doesn't have my area in it, I haven't already gone below freezing (that I'm aware of).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Damn! So close and I got bupkis :(

Re: Garden - Mine gave up because it's just too wet and it hasn't really dried out since early September but the marigold bush is thriving and I'm still getting a cup of plump, tasty raspberries nearly every day  :)

Yeah I'm still picking a decent amount of raspberries too. I don't think the light freeze tonight will do much damage to them. Probably will be getting raspberries until late in the month. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

At least you saw snow today. It was all around me but failed to find my hill. 

All the freeze watch stuff doesn't have my area in it, I haven't already gone below freezing (that I'm aware of).

Same here. Not sure why Upton didn't go with a freeze warning for all areas that are dropping below freezing like Mt holly did regardless of growing season