• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

Been interesting here as dry air has been killing everything coming across the state for the past 18 hours.  Finally it is beginning to rain east of I75/US23 and of course it has shifted just north of MBY :arrowhead: :lol:.  Models are now keeping the heavier stuff just to my south tonight into tomorrow.  At this point I am going to be surprise if I can even get a 1/2".  Sad after several days of 1-2" QPF model runs.  Oh well win some / lose some.  I'll take a lose some this time and like it :drunk:

• Sad 1

The lake is very angry today and will be the next couple of days. Starting to get those winter vibes. It’s crazy how windy it is standing right next to the lake, then 50ft away it’s relatively calm.

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING...

.TONIGHT...East gales to 40 kt. Showers and slight chance of
thunderstorms. Waves 8 to 12 ft occasionally to 16 ft.
.SATURDAY...Northeast gales to 35 kt. Showers. Waves 10 to 14 ft
occasionally to 18 ft.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...Northeast gales to 35 kt becoming north 15 to
25 kt. Chance of showers. Waves 8 to 12 ft occasionally to 16 ft
subsiding to 7 to 10 ft occasionally to 13 ft.
.SUNDAY...North winds to 30 kt. Chance of showers. Waves 7 to
10 ft occasionally to 13 ft building to 8 to 12 ft occasionally
to 16 ft.

IMG_4936.jpeg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Massive 3-day soaker ongoing.  Up to 1.42" for today bringing the 48hr total up to 3.65".  More rain to come tonight, so 4"+ looking likely. :raining:

Massive. Over-performing for you no doubt. Models are all over the place for here and the trend acknowledged by the pros is even more lame than it looked a couple days ago. The trend we do have on our side is rain makers over-performing here all summer. Don't need the moisture like y'all tho, so I'm fine and glad some of you guys are finally getting hit. 

Another 1.17" last evening/night boosted my Wed-Fri total to 3.06".  This is, by far, the biggest precip event of 2023.  The drought has been so bad, 3.06" easily beats any MONTH since March.  Personal stations only a mile west and a few miles north of me got 4.00-4.50".  We still have a long way to go to end the drought (still -10" since May), but this is a great start.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Another 1.17" last evening/night boosted my Wed-Fri total to 3.06".  This is, by far, the biggest precip event of 2023.  The drought has been so bad, 3.06" easily beats any MONTH since March.  Personal stations only a mile west and a few miles north of me got 4.00-4.50".  We still have a long way to go to end the drought (still -10" since May), but this is a great start.

north Illinois 3-day precip

chicago precip.jpg

• Like 1

The final total is 4.23" here.  Ground feels pretty spongy walking around the yard.  

Farmers had worked pretty hard to get most of the fields harvested over the past few weeks, but some were delayed by the recent rains.  Looks to dry out for them so they can get back out again here pretty soon.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Currently at a mall parking garage to watch the Annular Solar Eclipse, as an appetizer for the real fun 6 months from now. B)

Hopefully, you guys have much better luck weather-wise by then...

20231014_1551_sat_vis_us.jpg

Watching on YT this very moment. Beautiful! As I post this, it's just now starting to break in NM. 10 mins to go in Kerrville TX.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Where can I find that site that has multi-day Cocorahs precip maps?

It's the CoCoRAHS web site, the map on top of the page is the interactive map. Then, you have to push the button for "RANGE"  and then you have to choose two calendar days. You might want to zoom in to a local area before doing the multi-day calculation. (note sure if that's important.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Solid LER setup tonight, affecting Southeast Wisconsin, parts of Illinois, and Northwest Indiana.

One band makes it down to nearly the STL area.

8cf033fbfc4e2375ea2c0585a74473d6.jpg

Some of the showers here in Kenosha are pretty intense. Doesn’t last long before it goes back to a drizzle but we’re definitely picking up a lot of rain tonight in addition to what we’ve already gotten. The narrow band is just right over us.

• Like 1