Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

This, a thousand times.  Since Cool Spruce had the stroke (can it be a dozen years?) I've had more conversations here with Jeff than anyone else, and it's not close.  Now he's dealing with yet another personal tragedy while in shock for what happened a few miles to his north.  Stay strong, Jeff; others in your family need you.

You can tell just from interacting with him here that's he's such a good dude, really down to earth salt of the earth type.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally read (CNN) some of the info on the letter found in the Subaru.  It said that Card did not think he would be found alive and included directions on who would get what of his possessions.  Suicide note?  Huge misdirection attempt?
Also read that the weapon found in the car was a tactical rifle in .308; crime lab will test it against the bullets found at the crime scenes.  That cartridge is far more powerful than the more common .223 found in such rifles, and it's a very common hunting cartridge, nearly as powerful as my .30-06 and its shorter length means faster chambering in a bolt-action rifle.

Searching for Card is worse than looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, because that needle isn't moving, and Maine has loads of "haystacks".  LEOs have received 500+ tips as of noon, and if it looks like authorities are chasing their tails, they have to run down all the ones that seem somewhat solid.  The one they don't chase may be the one that was valid.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Finally read (CNN) some of the info on the letter found in the Subaru.  It said that Card did not think he would be found alive and included directions on who would get what of his possessions.  Suicide note?  Huge misdirection attempt?
Also read that the weapon found in the car was a tactical rifle in .308; crime lab will test it against the bullets found at the crime scenes.  That cartridge is far more powerful than the more common .223 found in such rifles, and it's a very common hunting cartridge, nearly as powerful as my .30-06 and its shorter length means faster chambering in a bolt-action rifle.

Searching for Card is worse than looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, because that needle isn't moving, and Maine has loads of "haystacks".  LEOs have received 500+ tips as of noon, and if it looks like authorities are chasing their tails, they have to run down all the ones that seem somewhat solid.  The one they don't chase may be the one that was valid.

it's unreal, and makes it so hard for families to feel any sense of closure with this guy still free.  I've yet to see the official timeline of police response, but I imagine they were 5+ minutes behind him by the time they found his vehicle.  that's an eternity and plenty of time for him to escape by vehicle.

51 minutes ago, tunafish said:

it's unreal, and makes it so hard for families to feel any sense of closure with this guy still free.  I've yet to see the official timeline of police response, but I imagine they were 5+ minutes behind him by the time they found his vehicle.  that's an eternity and plenty of time for him to escape by vehicle.

5 minutes? My buddy is a cop and he said he may have had like a half hour head start on them, combined with him potentially having an escape plan.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and even if he killed himself in the woods somewhere he theoretically may never be found… always leaving people left to wonder.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And the conspiracy theories that would bubble up.  

Did we ever find out what type of training he had in military? If he had stealth and survival training then he could live for a long time in the woods…though I suspect he’d have a hard time surviving the winter in back country Maine. Gets so damned cold there. But he could also be in the Everglades by now too. 

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

30 min? JFC.

He gon

Well if he "planned" an escape  of some sort and has food and water and is out in the woods, he will survive for a while.......if he is mobile ,and did not have food/water, my thoughts he will surface somewhere, or he committed suicide .

Jeff, like others have mentioned,  I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Did we ever find out what type of training he had in military? If he had stealth and survival training then he could live for a long time in the woods…though I suspect he’d have a hard time surviving the winter in back country Maine. Gets so damned cold there. But he could also be in the Everglades by now too. 

I have not heard any military training specifics except that he was a skilled marksman. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Any ideas as to leads?

I had a customer of ours tell my oldest today that he was there regular driver to do the picking up weekly but had not seen him for two weeks, I had heard he lost his job but did not know that’s where he worked, Maine Recycling is one of my accounts.

• Like 1