Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Category Five Hurricane Lee

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Initialized Lee at 991 mb Where  do they get these #s ?  

Was already explained to you earlier in the thread. Global models lack the resolution (and it's worse the less sophisticated they are, like the GEM)  to deal with the pressure differentials across small distances from a tropical cyclone.  Would break the model with a true pressure init. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Westward short term adjustments to Lee don't increase US landfall probabilities much if it at all because they also delay latitude gain with the Great Lakes trough trending eastward and having a tendency to pull out of the northeast with time. 

Correct, though speed/timing of both Lee and through/front/HP could have a bigger impact on where it ultimately ends up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Westward short term adjustments to Lee don't increase US landfall probabilities much if it at all because they also delay latitude gain with the Great Lakes trough trending eastward and having a tendency to pull out of the northeast with time. 

The runs which hit land mostly have have the second trough lifting out and then the steering currents are left to the clockwise rotation around the high to the East. 

This run would be a big hit in Eastern Maine and Nova Scotia. 

gfs_mslp_wind_neus_33.png

1 minute ago, Hazey said:

Damn. That's like multiple gfs runs that are zeroing in on sw Nova Scotia. Still a long ways off but that's a bad track for up here. Lee better have crap beat out of it before it gets to this latitude. Yikes.

Yeah, it's been rock steady for several days now (keep in mind the heavy precip is west of the track). 

20230908_123311.gif

21 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

Was already explained to you earlier in the thread. Global models lack the resolution (and it's worse the less sophisticated they are, like the GEM)  to deal with the pressure differentials across small distances from a tropical cyclone.  Would break the model with a true pressure init. 

Ok it was not clear from previous response that it would actually break the model if they used real values.  It just seemed like a capricious choice 

7 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Ok it was not clear from previous response that it would actually break the model if they used real values.  It just seemed like a capricious choice 

Think about and ECMWF model run predicting a tornedo outbreak. The air pressure within an individual tornedo might be 850 mb; when you look at the model run you aren't going to see any 850 mb pressures within actual tornadoes - tornadoes are far tinier than the 9 km grid spacing of the ECMWF. 

• Like 1

Think about and ECMWF model run predicting a tornedo outbreak. The air pressure within an individual tornedo might be 850 mb; when you look at the model run you aren't going to see any 850 mb pressures within actual tornadoes - tornadoes are far tinier than the 9 km grid spacing of the ECMWF. 
A couple of the high-res CAMs (NOT the HRRR!) actually appeared to quite accurately resolve* the mesocyclone associated with the Table Grove/Lewistown, IL tornadic supercell on April 4 nearly 24 hours in advance. Unfortunately I didn't put enough stock in them to catch it (ended up too late to the area and stuck on the wrong side of the storm near Monmouth when the warning went out, and I don't core-punch unless I am fairly confident that the conditions do not favor large, damaging hail). However even they couldn't resolve individual tornadoes, unless they were predicting something the size of El Reno '13.
*As in not just helicity tracks, but a localized pressure perturbation with extremely tightly packed isobars on the surface map.

41 minutes ago, Hotair said:

1 hour ago, Derecho! said:

Cells are an average value of all their contents. If a cell has pressure values of 1024, 1028, 1010, 1015, and 948, then that cell will be given a value of 1005. Even though there's a 948 mb low in there.

There's probably some fancy math nuance to it that mets could chime in on, but I believe this is the gist of it (cell dimensions vary by model). 

model.jpg.d0be49320e4d7f1264242ca5113a1eeb.jpg

• Like 5

I saw no more direct US hits on the 0Z EPS after hour 240. So, the hit % for the US went down from 24% on yesterday's 12Z to 14% on today's 0Z. ME remains at the highest risk of any US state per the EPS:

Summary of recent EPS runs' US landfalls:

9/8 0Z: 7 (14%) 9/15-17 (6 ME, 1 NY)
9/7 12Z: 12 (24%) 9/15-19 (7 ME, 3 MA, 1 NY, 1 NJ)
9/7 0Z: 10 (20%) 9/15-18 (5 ME, 5 MA)
9/6 12Z: 3 (6%) 9/15-18 (2 ME, 1 MA)
9/6 0Z: 5 (10%)
9/5 12Z: 2 (4%)
9/5 0Z: 4 (8%) 
9/4 12Z: 1 (2%) 
9/4 0Z: 2 (4%)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 12Z Euro at 192 is ~100 miles SSW of the 0Z Euro at 204 at the latitude of Cape Hatteras though many hundreds of miles OTS. The 12Z yesterday for the same time (216) was landfalling in E ME!

It looks like Nova Scotia is going to be hit on this new run.

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Category Five Hurricane Lee