Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,529
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
    Joined

September Banter 2023


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is all about finding lifeguards.  

And paying for them.

The issue for us is that we reduced our hours slightly for the season in order to keep pool management costs down (we had a contract recompete this year). Extending the season by two weeks is a little tricky because the weather can either be pool-perfect or pretty crappy and you might be paying to keep the lights on and lifeguards compensated when people just won't be using the pool.

Yesterday, some of us were discussing maybe keeping the pool closed for the weekdays during the first week or two of June and then staying open for an extra weekend at the end of the season. Seems logical!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah I think that was one of the big issues with a story last month from ATL where all their pools were closing but a couple in the first week of Aug - no lifeguards because the kids were all back in school.  Which begs the question, why are schools in the SE starting school in early August?

First week of August in Huntsville. That's nuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

And paying for them.

The issue for us is that we reduced our hours slightly for the season in order to keep pool management costs down (we had a contract recompete this year). Extending the season by two weeks is a little tricky because the weather can either be pool-perfect or pretty crappy and you might be paying to keep the lights on and lifeguards compensated when people just won't be using the pool.

Yesterday, some of us were discussing maybe keeping the pool closed for the weekdays during the first week or two of June and then staying open for an extra weekend at the end of the season. Seems logical!

I think we are keeping the same pool mgmt co we’ve used the last 5-6 years but cost for 3 yr contract will rise significantly. 
 

Always a trade off to stay open later than Labor Day and it would have to be written in the contract. Staffing def an issue. Calendar seems to factor in with early or late Memorial or Labor weekends to either feel too soon to close or just right. 
 

my kid worked yesterday as a guard and said it was so packed they did triples in chairs. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

I think we are keeping the same pool mgmt co we’ve used the last 5-6 years but cost for 3 yr contract will rise significantly. 

Always a trade off to stay open later than Labor Day and it would have to be written in the contract. Staffing def an issue. Calendar seems to factor in with early or late Memorial or Labor weekends to either feel too soon to close or just right. 

my kid worked yesterday as a guard and said it was so packed they did triples in chairs. 

We ended up with the same management company, but the yearly costs were significantly higher than when we last signed a contract (I believe five years ago). We put a vote out to the community to ask whether they would prefer we limit hours or not to keep the costs lower. In the end, the hours worked out fine, but there was plenty of grousing early on about the slightly increased registration fees.

I think we have flexibility in terms of adjusting the open and close dates from year to year, but we'd need to coordinate that well in advance of the season opening.

I don't think we were properly staffed with lifeguards yesterday. Lots of our lifeguards are already back with ports so they just weren't available, so those who were there got a little overtime.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, katabatic said:

I realize this board isn’t an IT HelpDesk but any thoughts on why this has crapped out? I’ve done the usual things (turn on/off etc) or has it just died? It’s about a year old..

IMG_0699-compressed.jpeg

It seems like you’ve just lost contact with the outside unit.  I think for some of these the barometer is in the display until.  What is your power source outside?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW what a shock to the system yesterday! Left Seattle at 55 degrees and arrived in Dulles at 98 degrees, yuck! Spent 12/13 glorious days in Alaska and aboard a cruise ship doing the Inside Passage. The BEST weather day was the one that counted, Glacier Bay, about 60 degrees and sunny all day, everyone had a sunburn from the sun and the reflection back off the water and snow. Rest of trip was in and out of fog and clouds/drizzle and in the 50's for the most part. Whittier is a STRANGE place (where we boarded ship from the train), big docks, large ships, a huge building and about nothing else lol. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, katabatic said:

It's solar...and the unit was clean. I'm trying to find a way to reset it...but coming up short. 

 

Is this it? I looked to see if there is a battery, (yes), which you can put a meter on and check, and seem to find a few tips in the review section. (A lot of complaints too, but that is not what I'm after. Not relevant. )

https://logiaweatherstations.com/products/7-in-1-wireless-weather-station-with-wi-fi®-and-solar-panel?_pos=6&_sid=36d79f11e&_ss=r#shopify-product-reviews

Might help a little

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

New HVAC getting installed today. Was nice and cool this morning, but it's starting to get a little toasty up in here.

Supposed to have mine installed as well, but they asked to push back a few days.  Looks like now it won't be until next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Supposed to have mine installed as well, but they asked to push back a few days.  Looks like now it won't be until next week. 

I hope it's actually running for you!

Ours was really on the fritz, so unfortunately we needed to get it done now and not wait. Good thing is that there's a small HVAC company whose owner lives in our neighborhood and whose kids are on the swim team, so we have a pretty good in with them. Took until about 7:00 pm to get the units installed (just the owner working it), but things are working beautifully now!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, wxdude64 said:

WOW what a shock to the system yesterday! Left Seattle at 55 degrees and arrived in Dulles at 98 degrees, yuck! Spent 12/13 glorious days in Alaska and aboard a cruise ship doing the Inside Passage. The BEST weather day was the one that counted, Glacier Bay, about 60 degrees and sunny all day, everyone had a sunburn from the sun and the reflection back off the water and snow. Rest of trip was in and out of fog and clouds/drizzle and in the 50's for the most part. Whittier is a STRANGE place (where we boarded ship from the train), big docks, large ships, a huge building and about nothing else lol. 

THAT sounds like an incredible trip! I've always wanted to take an Alaskan cruise. My wife and I (and our yellow Lab!) just returned from a two-week, out-and-back road trip across the southwest to the Grand Canyon. As most of you already know, it's been heatwave mode in the midwest and southwest for a few weeks now...most days in all of the cities we visited (including the Grand Canyon area) ranged between low/mid 90s to low 100s (was 109 when we pulled into OK City last week)...but it was otherwise clear and sunny the entire time, with exception of five minutes of light raindrops from a passing shower in Santa Fe last week. I still can't believe our weather luck held out that well for two whole weeks. We enjoyed it so much, we're going to take the more northwesterly version of that road trip to Yellowstone National Park next year.  :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Opening night for NFL football. Yeah baby. About to crack open a 120.

Heck yeah!!! And I'm excited about the Ravens this season. What looked like an awful off-season to start turned into one of the greatest we've ever had! EDC signed Lamar and went Super Saiyan on the WR room...which is now, at least on paper, the best one we have ever had. Man if we can stay mostly healthy...something special could happen if it's our time :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Oh, it’s on now. :lol: 

:snowwindow:


IMG_0633.thumb.jpeg.bfffcafa559376eba0dec9a5a5850623.jpeg

North Virginia is gonna get hit BAD by snow! Texas needs serious rain really bad. Well has been dry and likely will be for months. This is a new experience for me, having to carry water like a slave from next door lol! Texas is running out of water fast! We are becoming the new California! Millville escaped the Texas Dust Bowl just in time! You guys might have to start calling me Muad'Dib! lmao But the Mid Atlantic will get plenty of deep snows this upcoming winter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2023 at 11:18 AM, katabatic said:

I realize this board isn’t an IT HelpDesk but any thoughts on why this has crapped out? I’ve done the usual things (turn on/off etc) or has it just died? It’s about a year old..

IMG_0699-compressed.jpeg

I have one of those units and it has served very well for 2 years. Very accurate Station, all parameters other than wind speed of wich appears a bit low . I would think more than likely Batteries in outside unit. If new one's doesn't work, could be contact moisture within the unit as sometimes the seal around the internal components can crack or come unsealed. Happens with high end Stations as well. 

   I've had Sensor failures and they don't fail simultaneously unless for whatever reason the Unit gets fried. I have 3 Stations now and just lost contact with wind unit with one. Probably corroded or dead solar cell as it's been going for over 3 years. Dread the task of taking it down and getting it back up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The heat ridge of Doom does not care if our average high temperature is 92.

It hit 107 anyway, again. Yesterday it topped out at 104. Its hot as hellageddon out there. (Late edit at 859pm, it hit 107.)

This is NO time for a jebwalk.

I am feeling like Muad'dib as I trundle heavy five gallon jugs of water from way down the road. This ferocious drought has dried up our well. We might be playing the waterless game well into next year, even with El Nino. Even if its a record one, which it isnt.

Dont move to Texas. This place is a hot dry waterless hell. Go to Cherrapunji India where they get ~1000 inches of rain a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2023 at 4:00 PM, Maestrobjwa said:

Heck yeah!!! And I'm excited about the Ravens this season. What looked like an awful off-season to start turned into one of the greatest we've ever had! EDC signed Lamar and went Super Saiyan on the WR room...which is now, at least on paper, the best one we have ever had. Man if we can stay mostly healthy...something special could happen if it's our time :)

I am a Chiefs fan but I think the Ravens are gonna hit the Superbowl this season --- and WIN!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Does this look like a contrail shadow on the thin cloud layer, or could the Jet have "dissected" the cloud.  If you zoom in, it really doesn't seem to be a shadow.  

Any way...I thought it was interesting and would share. 

Clouds.jpg

We saw similar cloud/potential contrail phenomena on at least two occasions on our trip across the southwest U.S. over the past two weeks....once in Oklahoma, and again in the Grand Canyon area. It was...weird/interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mappy unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...