• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Idalia Banter

WxSynopsisDavid

I really don’t see all the continued hype regarding Tampa for this storm. I think the local Mets have it right, maybe the coast gets a little storm surge but this thing isn’t even coming close to the coast until well after passing the TB area. The biggest worry here should probably be tornados in the extreme outer bands. It still is far enough out it could take an extreme right hand turn but I don’t think there is a single reputable model predicting that at this point. I feel like last year with Ian there were at least a few outlier models predicting it coming in further south.

I am expected in Key West on Friday. Driving down from Tennessee. I have been in hurricane aftermath paths before, but the forecasted turn and angle is going to bring down a lot of old growth along the interstate routes and major highways in S.GA and N.Florida. Some of these areas haven't seen this inland forecasted intensity in a long time. Idalia should still be packing a formidable punch as it is moving back towards the Atlantic with trough enhancement. This will also be a big circulation. To the point, expect a lot of downed trees everywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

I really don’t see all the continued hype regarding Tampa for this storm. I think the local Mets have it right, maybe the coast gets a little storm surge but this thing isn’t even coming close to the coast until well after passing the TB area. The biggest worry here should probably be tornados in the extreme outer bands. It still is far enough out it could take an extreme right hand turn but I don’t think there is a single reputable model predicting that at this point. I feel like last year with Ian there were at least a few outlier models predicting it coming in further south.

https://twitter.com/nbergwx/status/1696283190271398172?s=46&t=R5sol24bP9u2QcPDXfW3Tw

Just now, Windspeed said:

I am expected in Key West on Friday. Driving down from Tennessee. I have been in hurricane aftermath paths before, but the forecasted turn and angle is going to bring down a lot of old growth along the interstate routes in S.GA and N.Florida. Some of these areas haven't seen this inland forecasted intensity in a long time. Idalia should still be packing a formidable punch as it is moving back towards the Atlantic with trough enhancement. This will also be a big circulation. Back to point, expect a lot of downed trees everywhere.

Friday should be a beautiful day In Key West. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I may be missing a few hours at a time, but has anyone brought up that "I" storms tend to be remembered; Ike, Irma, Ian, and so on?

I would think that by the time we get to I most years we are at the peak of the tropical season. So probably not surprising that I's tend to be mature storms more often?

Friday should be a beautiful day In Key West.

I stuck that here in banter being more of a personal experience thing, but I admit a little worry about getting down there. It normally takes about 17-22 hour drive shared between the better half. We should realistically expect an absolute mess. This involves a family member in Key West situation, but I am seriously considering canceling the trip despite that. I've got serious concerns about trees down all over the roads for many days post event across N.FL and S.GA.

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

The "I curse" is real, folks.

Retirements since 2002:

Isidore, Isabel, Ivan, Ike, Igor, Irene, Ingrid, Irma, Ida, Ian

Now likely Idalia.

Kind of ironic that 2005 didn't manage to retire an "I" name, but the infamous 2013 did.

I usually start it with Iris in 2001. 

• Like 1