• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

Plenty of time left over hot water to get to CAT 3.  May even sneak up close to 4 as it approaches the Coast. If it doesn’t, it certainly won’t be because of a lack of an energy source given the record high GoM water temps. 

1 hour ago, wkd said:

Appreciate the response but I don't see how this applies to the current situation. Hatteras and also the Capes in New England will certainly experience more adverse effects from coastal storms due to their eastward location.  But how does that apply to the current situation in the Gulf?

I was just speaking in general, but the area near Cedar Key is tucked in, which is probably why they have never had a major strike...kind of a mini Georiga.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

the 18Z HAFS trending back E the 18Z GFS came back slighty E also. Feeling better about Tallahassee now. Basically seems it will come ashore one the best places if you want to minimize damage.

Maximum surge will be basically be coming into nature preserves and marshes. Uninhabited, so yes could not ask for better landfall location as far as surge threat to life and property.  As center moves onshore and winds spread inland that is going to be a big problem!

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 7.21.13 PM.jpg

Look at the OOCL Southampton charging across the Gulf directly in front of Idalia. With a 16 kt forward speed, aren't they kind of driving directly into a strengthening hurricane? Only boat in the area.

Any marine experts out there able to see how much of a gamble they're taking?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:689722/zoom:6

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Recon reports show Idalia is moving a little east of due north now.  Last advisory was due north (360) we'll see what 8pm and 11 pm show but IMO by 11:00 advisory should be on at least a 10 degree heading.   I think recon is picking up on the expected turn to the NNE by tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SluggerWx said:

Look at the OOCL Southampton charging across the Gulf directly in front of Idalia. With a 16 kt forward speed, aren't they kind of driving directly into a strengthening hurricane? Only boat in the area.

Any marine experts out there able to see how much of a gamble they're taking?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:689722/zoom:6

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

That was 12 hours ago?