and dry. A very strong 600 dm upper-level ridge takes shape over the
Midwest and Great Lakes regions during this time. It actually
appears as though the air mass will be much drier with this bout of
heat with the Bermuda High not in place this go around as a cold
front pushes through on Friday. Friday and Saturday will be closer
to climo, with upper 80s to low 90s expected. However, by Sunday
into early next week, expect temperatures to climb into the upper
90s.

FWIW, that was pretty quickly removed in the next update. The big heat looks to stay focused in the Midwest, as it has been. But the cool-down the long range GFS wants to bring us…

…is definitely not going to happen, but fun to look at

3 hours ago, WinterFire said:

FWIW, that was pretty quickly removed in the next update. The big heat looks to stay focused in the Midwest, as it has been. But the cool-down the long range GFS wants to bring us…

…is definitely not going to happen, but fun to look at

More than one trying to bring high heat for last 1/3 of August but that generally only happens in summers that have already featured impressive heat streaks and very hot temps

That's not this year. 

6 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Picked up .01" in that whopper of a split/skip.  Add that to the .10" DOA storm from Friday night, that brings Aug to .51".  With no chance again until Thursday - at the earliest, this truly is looking worse than July.

June - 2.25"

July - 1.41"

Aug - .51"

Guess we are in a futility competition this month ,  up to 0.51 myself for the month , 2.73 for July ... Only late June is saving my gauge from being on pace for only about 20 or so  inches for the year..  As it stands at the middle of August I am on pace for 27.45

• Like 1

I've  never seen a rainfall disparity as extreme as this year.  The same places get it over and over while others are dry as a bone.  Some spots got more rain in an hour yesterday than you two got in the last two months.  The drought is a little less severe here than your locations but I got nothing out of yesterday/last night from the high chance and heavy rain wording, again.  Now there is no chance for any rain for a very long time to come

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I've  never seen a rainfall disparity as extreme as this year.  The same places get it over and over while others are dry as a bone.  Some spots got more rain in an hour yesterday than you two got in the last two months.  The drought is a little less severe here than your locations but I got nothing out of yesterday/last night from the high chance and heavy rain wording, again.  Now there is no chance for any rain for a very long time to come

My amateur take is that it's been a combo of the jet stream being too far north (just look at the track of the low pressure centers which typically end up into the GL/Northeast) and an unfavorable Atlantic (lack of a sustained Bermuda High setup...instead we get precip scraps from storms heading way north followed by a NW flow for several days).  I'm mostly generalizing, but assuming the general pattern stays the same I think it'll take the jet sagging south as we get into cool season for the downsloping desert areas to perform better and/or some kind of tropical remnants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87storms said:

My amateur take is that it's been a combo of the jet stream being too far north (just look at the track of the low pressure centers which typically end up into the GL/Northeast) and an unfavorable Atlantic (lack of a sustained Bermuda High setup...instead we get precip scraps from storms heading way north followed by a NW flow for several days).  I'm mostly generalizing, but assuming the general pattern stays the same I think it'll take the jet sagging south as we get into cool season for the downsloping desert areas to perform better and/or some kind of tropical remnants.

What is maddening is that the pattern works fine 40 miles east and beyond.  An area that technically also downslopes. 

42 minutes ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Once again radar is showing rain here but nothing is falling , this isn't winter - dealing with dry air its just not meant to be right now I reckon.. I'm sure this line will intensify to my east shortly... 

Picked up 0.02 , monthly total up to 0.53 - much heavier rain about a half mile to my northeast along rt 340, descent amount of water in the roadside drainage ditches there...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic