• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

The current temperature at MKE is 98F. If it holds or increases in the next hour, it would be the highest 2 pm reading on record dating back to 1947 in the month of August. The current record is 98F, from August 16, 1988, and earlier dates. Not sure of the earlier date(s), but I believe August 1, 1988 is one.

Wow, historic. This may very well be the highest RELIABLE heat index reading on record. As noted by Tom Karl & Richard Knight, in their 1996 paper examining the role of climate change on the 1995 heat wave, the HO-83 hygrothermometer had a warm bias of at least 0.5C. This was one of the reasons they were unable to confirm any impact from climate change on the occurrence of extreme heat episodes. However, other research has found warm biases of as much as 2-3C on sunny, light wind days. The design allowed warmed air to recirculate into the housing for the sensor. I hate to bring this up since I was accused of trolling the 1988 drought thread, but ironically it was noted climate denier, Steve McIntyre, who first brought this to my attention.
image.png.d671483808f42908bf82b0260b8dbf4e.png

enough already with this nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

this heat is amazing.  loving it.

Yup. Bought some ice cold Hamms beer from the land of sky blue waters to drink and put on my fore head while sitting outside a bit later. My idea of how to shed a few pounds. Love it.

26 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The current temperature at MKE is 98F. If it holds or increases in the next hour, it would be the highest 2 pm reading on record dating back to 1947 in the month of August. The current record is 98F, from August 16, 1988, and earlier dates. Not sure of the earlier date(s), but I believe August 1, 1988 is one.

MKE is 99 now.

22 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Here are the August numbers for DSM and OMA:

Des Moines - the 112F reading was the highest for the 3 o'clock hour. All-time record for the month is 114F, set on August 15, 1988, at 2pm and 4pm. A number of hourly maximum apparent temperatures were set just last year on the 3rd and 7th of the month.

image.thumb.png.c5cbb59ced23a940b40b73941b0d1377.png

Omaha - easily the most impressive August heat on record, dating back to at least 1948. The 116F reading at 6 pm yesterday was one shy of the monthly record set on August 1, 2011, at 7 pm.

image.thumb.png.30705e2376358b41b71d31fc5b93dea4.png

Current HX of 114F at DSM ties August monthly maximum for all hours dating back to 1936.