Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

25 minutes ago, roardog said:

It was La Niña for the last 3 years. I don’t recall much to look forward to then either except for maybe late Jan/Feb ‘21.

El Nino pretty much guarantees a boring winter though.  At least the early half, though who knows these days where tornado outbreaks sometimes happen mid-winter.

• Weenie 1

22 minutes ago, frostfern said:

El Nino pretty much guarantees a boring winter though.  At least the early half, though who knows these days where tornado outbreaks sometimes happen mid-winter.

Usually but who knows. There’s been some decent El Niño Novembers though. It’s usually December that’s the worst but the last 3 Nina Decembers haven’t exactly been stellar either.

1 hour ago, roardog said:

Usually but who knows. There’s been some decent El Niño Novembers though. It’s usually December that’s the worst but the last 3 Nina Decembers haven’t exactly been stellar either.

I think neutral ENSO is best for most of this sub actually.  Strong La Nina is really only good for MSP peeps.  These days it means a lot of rainers even into Wisconsin.  Some weak El Nino winters have been snowy as well, just back-ended.  Strong El Nino is usually bad for everyone but severe lovers in the deep south though.

• Weenie 1

ENSO impact on severe is really hard to gauge. For example the Super Nino December of 2015 had two major tornado outbreaks in four days (12/23 MS/TN, 12/26 TX); but December 2021 (Nina, I'm sure) had two massive ones as well. December 1, 2018 (weak Nina IIRC) also featured an unusually far north and prolific outbreak in Illinois.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

ENSO impact on severe is really hard to gauge. For example the Super Nino December of 2015 had two major tornado outbreaks in four days (12/23 MS/TN, 12/26 TX); but December 2021 (Nina, I'm sure) had two massive ones as well. December 1, 2018 (weak Nina IIRC) also featured an unusually far north and prolific outbreak in Illinois.

Yea.  Individual major events are impossible to predict from teleconnections alone.  Especially severe weather events.  The El Nino phase does statistically favor Dixie Ally for severe though, and a strong one usually means a mild and dry winter for the upper Midwest.  2015 had GHDII though so its impossible to know for sure.  I didn’t even remember that was a Nino winter as I wasn’t living in Michigan that year.

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Been a "top climo" summer. Endless days in the low 80's and the occasional nice boomer. Remove the flash drought and smoke, and we would have a season that is tough to top. 

yup, couple more banger mcs this season and it's top tier

• Like 1