• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

80 / 71 and cloudy as an area of clouds quickly moves through.  Partly sunny, more humid and hot today.  Low mid 90s and higher humidity will add to the index with isolated daytime and evening storms.  Fri (7/14) humid, hot and more scattered storms later in the day.  Places with enough sun will add a 90.  Sat (7/15) and Sun (7/16) warm, humid with widespread storms possible with slow moving soakers.  More clouds around but any breaks where and when the sun comes out will warm up quickly.  Rain totals could become flood level with these storms, and available moisture >2  - 4 inches in places.

Mon (7/17) and beyond.  Overall warm, humid with blasts of stronger heat from the southwest ridge nearby or skirting the area. Should add a few 90s Mon - Wed but storms chances continue. As the Western Atlantic Ridge expands and west and pulses with the trough into the GL and NE continued storms chances.  Still see a 2-3 day cool towards normal by the 22 with heat building into the west and heading east in the last week of the month.

vis_nj_anim.gif 

• Like 1

Is it finally going to rain on LI? Upton lowered the POP from 80%, to 60%, but they talk about multiple waves of LP over the next few days. I’m going to assume it’s going to be a much bigger story in the places that just got blasted. 

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 100 (1966) Hot summer continued to roll on that July.
NYC: 101 (1966) more records highs in NY from 1966
LGA: 99 (1966)

Lows:

EWR: 57 (1940)
NYC: 54 (1888)
LGA: 58 (1990)

Historical:

1895 - A tornado struck Cherry Hill in New Jersey causing fifty thousand dollars damage. It also descended into the Harlem and Woodhaven areas of New York City killing one person, and finally ended as a waterspout in Jamaica Bay. (David Ludlum)

1951: Rivers across eastern Kansas crest well above flood stage, causing the most significant destruction from flooding in the Midwestern United States at that time. Five-hundred-thousand people were left homeless, and 24 people died in the disaster. Click HERE for more information from the History Channel.

1975 - Dover, DE, was deluged with 8.50 inches of rain to establish a 24 hour record for the state. (The Weather Channel)

1977 - Lightning struck a key electrical transmission line in Westchester County of southeastern New York State plunging New York City into darkness. (David Ludlum)

1980 - Afternoon highs of 108 degrees at Memphis, TN, 108 degrees at Macon, GA, and 105 degrees at Atlanta, GA, established all-time records for those three cities. The high of 110 degrees at Newington, GA, was just two degrees shy of the state record. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Unseasonably cool weather prevailed across the Midwest. Ten cities reported record low temperatures for the date, including Casper, WY, with a reading of 39 degrees. By way of contrast, record heat was reported in the eastern U.S., with highs of 93 degrees at Burlington, VT, and 101 degrees around Miami, FL. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - There were just three reports of severe weather across the country, and just one record high temperature reported. Thunderstorms brought much needed rains to the Tennessee Valley area, producing nine inches at Senatobia, MS. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - A thunderstorm at Albany, GA, produced 1.40 inches of rain in forty minutes, along with wind gusts to 82 mph. Afternoon highs of 98 degrees at Corpus Christi, TX, 110 degrees at Tucson, AZ, and 114 degrees at Phoenix, AZ, equalled records for the date. Greenwood, MS, reported 55.65 inches of precipitation for the year, twice the amount normally received by mid July. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nam trend

trend-nam-2023071312-f057.qpf_acc-imp.us_ne.gif

And HRRR has very little activity for tomorrow. I hope we see something, but I'm not very optimistic. Sunday might be our best chance if last night's Euro is correct. I see RGEM does give us some rain during the morning tomorrow. Who knows. 

Is the heat wave criteria of three consecutive days of 90 local to our region? Or is it a general rule? I’m on my second heat wave in a week (and this year), 90’s barely even stand out anymore they almost feel average. Maybe 4 or 5 consecutive days or a threshold higher than 90 would be more fitting.

88 now, down from 90. Clouding up in Garden City, PWS still showing full sun in Suffolk.

19 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Is the heat wave criteria of three consecutive days of 90 local to our region? Or is it a general rule? I’m on my second heat wave in a week (and this year), 90’s barely even stand out anymore they almost feel average. Maybe 4 or 5 consecutive days or a threshold higher than 90 would be more fitting.

88 now, down from 90. Clouding up in Garden City, PWS still showing full sun in Suffolk.

I always said it should be 3 days of 95. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cfa said:

That's the most common definition I've seen but it does vary by region. I don't think there is a set offical scientific number across the board. Whatever a region considers "abnormally hot"

According to the NWS..

"What is a heat wave? A heat wave is a period of abnormally hot weather generally lasting more than two days. Heat waves can occur with or without high humidity..."

I'd agree 3 days isn't that remarkable now. For the Park maybe a little bit. But EWR, LGA  and other mid atlantic cities it's not a huge deal.

• Thanks 1