Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

49 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I feel yah.  Seems like the rich keep getting richer in this pattern.  Hopefully todays system breaks that trend for us poor folks :lol:

Looks like possible training events tonight that I get to miss. Storms down here this morning split to my north and south only has some mood drops

23 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Looks like possible training events tonight that I get to miss. Storms down here this morning split to my north and south only has some mood drops

I am very interested how this will work out.  Must say I am always a bit nervous when DTX puts some of the heaviest totals IMBY.  Hoping this evening/tonight will be the biggest event since the March snowstorm for MBY.

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Cyclone has managed to get another inch of rain overnight before I've seen any.

I really hope all the heavy stuff moving in from the west doesn't suddenly crash south into the juicier air, leaving me with just a few hours of light rain.  That's what I'm afraid of.

image.thumb.png.2013cdf4188b46ab035170c937610735.png

did u screw hole?

44 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I am very interested how this will work out.  Must say I am always a bit nervous when DTX puts some of the heaviest totals IMBY.  Hoping this evening/tonight will be the biggest event since the March snowstorm for MBY.

Same here I hope the training don’t setup around DTW we have had our fair share of BS. Even Canton flooded back in 2021. Working in Detroit recently from the rains we had a week ago some side streets were flooded just from that alone

This 12-hour precipitation estimation shows the impact of the overnight MCS, starting in South Dakota and now in Iowa. There were severe wind reports in northeast Nebraska and around Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The big MCS right now appears to have been from two merged MCSs that were kind of separate at 12:50z. Otherwise, there were numerous areas of rain in IL, IN, and OH.

12 hr precip ending july 12.jpg

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

image.thumb.png.2013cdf4188b46ab035170c937610735.png

did u screw hole?

Yeah, pretty much.  My fear about the heavy cells on the southern edge of the MCS dropping too far south panned out.  The northern end of two bands of heavy rain barely got me, but they only last a few minutes each.  I ended with 0.66".  The northern part of my county got only half of that.  Well to the north, over northeast Iowa, the MCS's comma head dumped more heavy rain.  Now I get to wait another two weeks for the next chance of five minutes of heavy rain.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:30 PM, cyclone77 said:

Today was the 21st 90+ day at MLI for the year.  

That's a crazy stat to me. We have had 1 90 so far this summer, a 90 on 6/25. Granted, we have gotten 89'ed 5 (!) times, but still, even despite being ~300 feet higher, less urbanized and at a slightly higher latitude, I wouldn't expect that contrast between two sites separated by a <2 hour drive.

4 hours ago, mjwise said:

That's a crazy stat to me. We have had 1 90 so far this summer, a 90 on 6/25. Granted, we have gotten 89'ed 5 (!) times, but still, even despite being ~300 feet higher, less urbanized and at a slightly higher latitude, I wouldn't expect that contrast between two sites separated by a <2 hour drive.

Yeah there's definitely a steep gradient from northeast IL to the QC.  We're only about 25 miles northeast of MLI and have 16 90+ days.

Nice soaker today between the two main rounds.  Ended up with 1.77", up to 3.21" for July. :guitar:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, frostfern said:

Another stratiform snooze fest with next to no lightning.

At least you are getting the rain.  Dry pavement here right now.  Quick showers that feed the north rains is all I am getting. <_<. I hate when DTX this morning had MBY as ground zero for the heavy rains ... Flint northward win this one.  Maybe I can get a storm when the backend goes through.  No holding my breath that is for sure.

5 minutes ago, Lightning said:

At least you are getting the rain.  Dry pavement here right now.  Quick showers that feed the north rains is all I am getting. <_<. I hate when DTX this morning had MBY as ground zero for the heavy rains ... Flint northward win this one.  Maybe I can get a storm when the backend goes through.  No holding my breath that is for sure.

There’s no way that line is going to miss you and it will have lightning.  I would chase if it wasn’t so late.  Drought is past over up here but really no light show at all.  Just plain hard rain.

9 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Pretty sure your under that Nader watch right? Going to be interesting for y’all tonight. If I didn’t work early I’d blast the 120 miles home

5 minutes ago, frostfern said:

There’s no way that line is going to miss you and it will have lightning.  I would chase if it wasn’t so late.  Drought is past over up here but really no light show at all.  Just plain hard rain.

We'll see but I have seen many lines fall apart or be a shadow of what they were as they get east of Lansing.  Just hard to get excited when the past few hours were all modeled to be very active and all I have is 0.02" so far.    I would take hours of plain heavy rain as opposed to a 5 minute storm with <1/4".

I no longer have the energy to chase at night after dark.  If I had someone else cover some of the driving it might be doable.  Just too exhaused these days.  I really just want a nice big loud cracking and thumping storm IMBY, not wind and tornadoes.  There’s an occasional flash and rumble, but nothing frequent.  Same as previous July storms IMBY this year.  Mostly just heavy rainers.

11 minutes ago, Lightning said:

We'll see but I have seen many lines fall apart or be a shadow of what they were as they get east of Lansing.  Just hard to get excited when the past few hours were all modeled to be very active and all I have is 0.02" so far.    I would take hours of plain heavy rain as opposed to a 5 minute storm with <1/4".

I really think it will hold together or even build more south.  It’s only 9:30 PM.  These things typically die off in the early morning hours, and it will teach you before then.

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Pretty sure your under that Nader watch right? Going to be interesting for y’all tonight. If I didn’t work early I’d blast the 120 miles home

Looks like you won't be to disappointed for not driving home. 

41 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I really think it will hold together or even build more south.  It’s only 9:30 PM.  These things typically die off in the early morning hours, and it will teach you before then.

Not looking like a solid line any more.  Plus I love how the storms are now firing to my east.  I can see lightning flash from them.  Oh well time for bed. 

• Sad 1