Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

50 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Off topic some, but Was just thinking how the “I” named Tropical cyclones have been so notorious….Ione, Inez, Isabel, Irene, Ian, Isaias, Isidore, Igor, Ike, Ida, Irma, Ivan, Idalia.  I mean that I storm has been a bitch and infamous for many. That’s amazing when you think about it.  “I” has the most retired names of any letter in the Atlantic. 

Ok, back to our originally scheduled programming. 

Yea the I's have it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Off topic some, but Was just thinking how the “I” named Tropical cyclones have been so notorious….Ione, Inez, Isabel, Irene, Ian, Isaias, Isidore, Igor, Ike, Ida, Irma, Ivan, Idalia.  I mean that I storm has been a bitch and infamous for many. That’s amazing when you think about it.  “I” has the most retired names of any letter in the Atlantic. 

Ok, back to our originally scheduled programming. 

Maybe they should name this one "Infamous" then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

You don’t know that…and you know it. But by all means play the odds…it’s worked most times. 

IMHO, many, not all, folks are looking in the wrong direction... constantly looking seaward to follow slightest change in modeled track is almost pointless.   Just turn around and monitor the upper layout trends from the lower Great Lakes / TN Valley areas eastward to the coast.   Unless there are significant changes in the that area, this thing will recurve... now it may tease the EC, and we could wake up to a nice-looking storm south of New England, but it will be escaping seaward... While some lower heights are now modeled across the Great Lakes / Midwest area, it is not sufficient for just a mean trough approaching the EC, it has to be one that features at least a neutral alignment with at least a hint of negativity.   I will get interested if and when that happens, but it is not there yet...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FXWX said:

IMHO, many, not all, folks are looking in the wrong direction... constantly looking seaward to follow slightest change in modeled track is almost pointless.   Just turn around and monitor the upper layout trends from the lower Great Lakes / TN Valley areas eastward to the coast.   Unless there are significant changes in the that area, this thing will recurve... now it may tease the EC, and we could wake up to a nice-looking storm south of New England, but it will be escaping seaward... While some lower heights are now modeled across the Great Lakes / Midwest area, it is not sufficient for just a mean trough approaching the EC, it has to be one that features at least a neutral alignment with at least a hint of negativity.   I will get interested if and when that happens, but it is not there yet...

It is slowly trending and evolving . You can see the deeper MW trough each run too. Not there yet no.. but the trends are favorable 

https://x.com/yconsor/status/1698694985820848392?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It is slowly trending and evolving . You can see the deeper MW trough each run too. Not there yet no.. but the trends are favorable 

https://x.com/yconsor/status/1698694985820848392?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

Hey Kev, I'd like a good tropical just as much as any other guy!  I love the excitement the approach a hurricane threat to the East Coast can bring.   And I will be monitoring for changes and trends.  But we will need to see very significant pattern trends with any evolving MW trough in the next 48 hours or so...  If there is even any modest southwest flow component to the right side of the trough, this will turn seaward when it nears the coast, if it makes it that far west.  You need neutral trough alignment at least; ideally a bit of a slight negative tilt.   Also, be very wary of any model attempts at a capture into the trough as it gets close to the coast...  That almost has to have a full-blown negative trough approaching to workout.   I'd love to see it and will jump onboard if trends suggest it; hell, a good hurricane hit threat is great for my business... I have a whole house / office generator and weeks of propane, no trees anywhere near my house, so a can dela with the disruptions a good hit would produce.  Keep the faith Kev... you never know???

• Like 4

The NAO is slipping negative ...

I'm  a little  'concerned' (for lack of better word) that we may end up a pulsed resistance to an east turn once we near that supposed D7 position - those that have gone on to become problems for the EC to NF, if there is ambition to see those problems take place you have to at least do this much ...

image.png.59f756548d436299919ea4e4d5ce1695.png

...which that's like step 1.

Beyond D7 is what I like to call the 'predictive even horizon' ...There are model solutions that go out that far, but they and the collection of them et al are no better than guess work - there's not real 'sight' in that space-time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The NAO is slipping negative ...

I'm ' a little ' concern (for lack of better word) that we may end up a pulsed resistance to an east turn once we near that supposed D7 position - those that have gone on to become problems for the EC to NF, if there is ambition to see those problems take place you have to at least do this much ...

image.png.59f756548d436299919ea4e4d5ce1695.png

...which that's like step 1.

Beyond D7 is what I like to call the 'predictive even horizon' ...There are model solutions that go out that far, but they and the collection of the of them et al are no better than guess work - there's not real 'sight' in that space-time.

Agreed . This is going to likely be a threat to the Mid-ATL/ NE. That trough keeps digging a bit more and shifting west each successive ensemble run. Still work to do but  man is this getting interesting 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Agreed . This is going to likely be a threat to the Mid-ATL/ NE. That trough keeps digging a bit more and shifting west each successive ensemble run. Still work to do but  man is this getting interesting 

Mmm... not ready to say 'likely' just yet.

Step 1,  'key slot'   check

Step 2,  -NAO pulse over the western limb timed accordingly ...  not quite checked off but hovering the pen

Step 3,  trough in the Lakes orienting the flow parallel to the coast ... this part is invisible to the layout until maybe 72 hours from now. 96+ would be better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

What business are you in...are you a TV met?   A good hurricane is a disaster for my business...insurance.

You guys commune with your gulf coast and floridian corporate cousins  lol.

There's an insurance exodus underway.   That's the first step imo in 'climate refugee' scenario - so to speak.  California's next.  Insurance pulls out like a trailer park birth control option signal economic abandonment, ... population follows.