• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

I was surprised at the low temperatures frankly.   I mean I figured it was going to be a negative (relative to climo) night across the multi-region sub-forum, but I was bit dismissive when seeing the Frost Advisory headline over eastern sections and out near Springfield, MA last evening.  I was thinking that after a long May day of sun soaked Earth, and early vegetation now exploding ... and nights being short in length, that combination would offset the idealized radiative cooling ...

But .... we bottomed out 36 here at 6am. That's usually good enough for car top sparkles ... but by the time I was up and about, this incredible bottle rocket rise had already commenced.  It's 66 here ..so 30 F in 3.5 hrs. 

18 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even got deck stained today . Another check the box of spring .. like installs is 

o56hxju.jpg

What are you using for Stain. I power washed both decks the last 2 days. Cindy wants to do a gray same color as the pool. She will be doing the staining but we hated the Olympia which I did 5 years ago. WhT brand did you use.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What are you using for Stain. I power washed both decks the last 2 days. Cindy wants to do a gray same color as the pool. She will be doing the staining but we hated the Olympia which I did 5 years ago. WhT brand did you use.

Cabot.. I’ve used Olympia in the past , but it just doesn’t hold up . I’ve used Cabot last couple of times. I usually do it every other year .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Just looked at the 12z gfs, firehose of Alberta smoke/haze at times, especially at the end.  :D  Wonder if they'll be burning worse at that point..?  

gfs_z500a_namer_62.png

You wonder if the soot and ashes will start to lower into New England and start large forest fires here with hot, dry pattern next couple of weeks?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Solid 40 F diurnal spread today.   Nice!   36 --> 76    boom...

And, that busted MOS by 4 to 5 deg.  If that's any indicator for potential, tomorrow may be sneaky quite warm.   MET/MAV are both 77 to 81 between BDL and BED sites ...  I think that's going to be 81 to 84's and maybe favoring the higher end. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol heard there was a good sized one up near Lyndonville in NEK today.  But yeah the fire weather statements have been out for burn piles.

Nice evenings though.

345441729_796567871805466_35389720211679

Amazing how fast y’all went full leaf out. Sticks and snow not more than 3 weeks ago . Warm springs like this will do that. 

48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Amazing how fast y’all went full leaf out. Sticks and snow not more than 3 weeks ago . Warm springs like this will do that. 

Yeah it's still going but coming along.  Not sure I'd say full leaf out (like even the trees right side of that photo aren't there), but the ground is very green and bushes blooming very nicely.  When it happens, it happens fast.

A lot of fresh green moving through the valley elevations.  Down here is fake cold heaven in the wide open areas at 700-900ft on the east slope valleys.  Temp plummets like a rock once that sun goes behind the hill.  On the flip side, the valley is also the warmest/driest RH during the day.  Full sunshine and warmth gets those valley soils warming up.

I'd say we have noticeable light green in the canopy up to about 1,500ft or a bit above.

However above about 1,800ft it is still just barely trying to not look like November.  There is just the very start of ground cover (ferns?) trying to pop out of the ground a few inches high.

1688706584_May10.thumb.jpg.90146858faca711250d6cbbd823ff782.jpg

• Like 1