Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

11 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Congrats on the move. Your definitely still part of this forum and will always be appreciated!

Thank you. The sea breezes here remind me of the Long Island south shore. My first time living on the U.S. mainland.;)

9 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

You are about 25 miles east of me.  We fly out of HVN often it's very convenient.    A little less snow out that way due to the greater influence of the open ocean east of LI but still decent compared to SE CT which often goes to rain first...

Avelo looks like a nice small airline

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Haha. I liked the shoreline best. But the cost of living was through the roof. 

Yup, living near the beach is beautiful. My parents live in Seaside Park. Bought a house in the 70’s here for like 70k at the time. They’re from Middlesex but then moved to Monmouth when they had me, and I got to grow up spending my summers in SSP surfing and whatnot. 

They were very lucky in Sandy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Yup, living near the beach is beautiful. My parents live in Seaside Park. Bought a house in the 70’s here for like 70k at the time. They’re from Middlesex but then moved to Monmouth when they had me, and I got to grow up spending my summers in SSP surfing and whatnot. 

They were very lucky in Sandy!

Yeah, living near the shore is great. But the challenge on Long Island is summer traffic and lack of parking in places like Long Beach. Long Beach made a nice comeback after Sandy. Great restaurant scene and newer boardwalk.

• Like 1

Just got stung by a wasp :weep:. Little menace must’ve landed on my back while I took the trash out. Came inside, at least a couple mins later I felt something crawling on my back. Reached to it instinctually and immediately felt the sharp sting right through my shirt, and then it somehow stung my hand between my fingers too before falling on the floor…

Good sized wasp, red and yellow, super ugly. Never been stung by one before and I have a huge welt, back feels like it’s on fire. Can’t lay down. 

Meh/10 do not recommend. 

4 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Just got stung by a wasp :weep:. Little menace must’ve landed on my back while I took the trash out. Came inside, at least a couple mins later I felt something crawling on my back. Reached to it instinctually and immediately felt the sharp sting right through my shirt, and then it somehow stung my hand between my fingers too before falling on the floor…

Good sized wasp, red and yellow, super ugly. Never been stung by one before and I have a huge welt, back feels like it’s on fire. Can’t lay down. 

Meh/10 do not recommend. 

One stung me on my thigh when I was like 4. My mom used to hang clothes on the line and one got in my pants. When I went to put them on I felt a sharp pain in my leg. Yes thankfully it wasn't any higher lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm getting tired of stomping those things. I haven't seen them in my yard yet but they are just a few miles south of me. They were all over the beach at Jones Beach when I was there a few days ago. Yuck. 

There's not much point of stomping them anymore-it's like trying to put out a forest fire with a paper cup of water

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm getting tired of stomping those things. I haven't seen them in my yard yet but they are just a few miles south of me. They were all over the beach at Jones Beach when I was there a few days ago. Yuck. 

They are everywhere in NYC

NYC had the Lantern Fly food tree planted everywhere. The 'Tree of Heaven' is a good choice for urban trees, resists pollution and abuse better than most native species.

So the Lantern Fly arrived to a well set table, only ray of light is that our birds are getting a taste for them.

31 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Lived in North Brunswick at the time. Irene was kind of a shitshow. Rode the storm out at my sister’s house in northern Toms River with my parents, and I remember it taking hours to get home back to NB with my girlfriend (now wife). 

Yeah, I was in Piscataway at the time.  Lots of flooding all over and my basement took on water 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Yeah, I was in Piscataway at the time.  Lots of flooding all over and my basement took on water 

It had been very wet in the couple weeks leading up to Irene also...add in Irene's rain...never had more water in the woods around the house before or since...had over 25" of rain at my station in a 30 day period.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Why is everyone so against heat all of the sudden? 

Swamp ass. 

I even shave my ass to help combat the never ending battle with swamp ass in NJ CFa subtropical summers. 

I vastly prefer the dry, frozen tundra-ass one gets in a proper winter over the wet, humid subtropical marshland of summer. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Swamp ass. 

I even shave my ass to help combat the never ending battle with swamp ass in NJ CFa subtropical summers. 

I vastly prefer the dry, frozen tundra-ass one gets in a proper winter over the wet, humid subtropical marshland of summer. 

But I'm referring more to the "it's September now so it won't feel that hot," narrative and the whole idea that a stretch of +10 temps in the 90's aren't noteworthy.

30 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Swamp ass. 

Good morning V W. I understand, as hair grows profusely on my old carcass except, of course, on top of my head. I caution you against making a video recording for posterity. You would probably end up with a viral following bordering on a new religion. Stay well and tundra dry, as always …

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning V W. I understand, as hair grows profusely on my old carcass except, of course, on top of my head. I caution you against making a video recording for posterity. You would probably end up with a viral following bordering on a new religion. Stay well and tundra dry, as always …

Laughing, thank you! 

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23