Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Forsythias are doing okay here ...

Big maples ( non Norwalk ) buds are bigger than I recall them being comparing recent years.   We may actually get maple flowers from them this time - which are wonderfully aromatic, albeit only tingingly so. I mean it doesn't hit you like Lilacs ( say ) but they do cast off of sweet air. 

..which unfortunately means a half foot of helicopter seeds in the fall... but it's all good -

Lawns and field green-up complete. There are even dandy lions here and there.  Must shrubs are opened and yup... even the Oaks buds are looking anxious. 

Last weeks' 90 F haha... yeah.  Just hope these recent operational trends to normalize the 'cold pattern' have legitimacy.  It's been bad for recent orchard crops - I believe ? - with recent springs having late blocking ...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's certainly quite cold aoft, though on the outter edges of the brunt of it

image.thumb.png.c3c829c18d4efb8f985b62a95facb323.png

Hence the ruination of a top 10 day.  As we heat at the lowest levels we destabilize.  No pun intended but this stabilization is a staple of the first half of May.  Everything is early this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Hence the ruination of a top 10 day.  As we heat at the lowest levels we destabilize.  No pun intended but this stabilization is a staple of the first half of May.  Everything is early this year.

I wish we could get another summer like 2008. The most prolific cold pool summer we may have ever had. Days and days of hailers in June and July. I think 22% or something of severe hail reports on record in New York (criteria I think was still 3/4'' then) occurred that year! (1950-2008).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe. I've had -17F a couple times here and they flowered after that. This obviously had wind with it too so maybe the flower buds got desiccated.

Our forsythia is supposedly an extra hardy variety, but -20 or lower (which occurs in 80% of our winters here) generally kills all the exposed flower buds.  Fortunately, there was 4 feet of snow, much of it from the snowblower, atop the forsythia during the early Feb howler.  I don't remember when they bloomed in 2010, the only milder late winter/spring, so the 4/14 blooming might be our earliest.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Forsythias are doing okay here ...

Big maples ( non Norwalk ) buds are bigger than I recall them being comparing recent years.   We may actually get maple flowers from them this time - which are wonderfully aromatic, albeit only tingingly so. I mean it doesn't hit you like Lilacs ( say ) but they do cast off of sweet air. 

..which unfortunately means a half foot of helicopter seeds in the fall... but it's all good -

Lawns and field green-up complete. There are even dandy lions here and there.  Must shrubs are opened and yup... even the Oaks buds are looking anxious. 

Last weeks' 90 F haha... yeah.  Just hope these recent operational trends to normalize the 'cold pattern' have legitimacy.  It's been bad for recent orchard crops - I believe ? - with recent springs having late blocking ...

Our peach flowers are just beginning to wither now (may need to cover the next couple of nights). The early apples are beginning to pop open. Everything was/is really early this year. We lost all of our peaches last year, due to late freezes. We even picked our first few asparagus stalks... 

1681840835955.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Our peach flowers are just beginning to wither now (may need to cover the next couple of nights). The early apples are beginning to pop open. Everything was/is really early this year. We lost all of our peaches last year, due to late freezes. We even picked our first few asparagus stalks... 

1681840835955.jpg

One flower on azaleas 

https://i.imgur.com/Kc6WYYt.jpg

• Like 1

Actually I take back the Azalea comment. The one that is facing south and next to my house (would be more prone to cold damage due to getting an early boost from warmth off the house) did not do well. But two other ones that are more protected seem to have many more flowers ready to bloom. 

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

1681840835955.jpg

You're way ahead of me, I just got buds on my fruit trees this week. No forsythia yet

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ice storm glad you enjoyed it now pay the piper.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’d have had forsythia for 2-3 weeks by now . It hit most of the area that hit  -15 or lower for so many hours 

Most of interior and elevated CT has no blooms and even much of SNE. This was Sunday after mulching . All those bushes are typically lit up in purple and pink flowers. Nada . all the buds are just new green leaves. 

aCQxhdA.jpg

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most of interior and elevated CT has no blooms and even much of SNE. This was Sunday after mulching . All those bushes are typically lit up in purple and pink flowers. Nada . all the buds are just new green leaves. 

aCQxhdA.jpg

I’m surprised you don’t spray paint your lawn deep green this time of year.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

aCQxhdA.jpg

Man the difference between up there and the shoreline is crazy. Have you been down by New Haven recently?