Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

4 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Cmc looks decent but I wonder how much of that is the norlun feature, the low still looks pretty Far East. 

As we saw on 2/8/13 you can get pretty big snows with the surface low way east if you have completed the entire capture and phase...NYC was snowing heavily at 06Z that night with the SFC low way east.  I would not exactly expect that we are going to get that scenario though

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/NARR/2013/us0209.php

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

If the 0Z euro holds and we have cmc/euro in our favor that wouldn’t be a bad combo. Still a tricky setup it seems for the models and I guess I’m not that optimistic due to the overall setup and how perfect this needs to go. 

Yea. I kind of feel the 0z euro holding sort of a life or death thing now. I've seen this movie before, and if we lose the euro tonight, it's pretty much over

1 minute ago, KeithB said:

Yea. I kind of feel the 0z euro holding sort of a life or death thing now. I've seen this movie before, and if we lose the euro tonight, it's pretty much over

This is a very complex setup and tiny changes in where/if/when phasing occurs, amplitude of the trough etc can have dramatic effects so we’re not “out” of it until tomorrow night I’d say if it’s not looking favorable. That said the odds are way higher for a major impact in places like the Catskills and Berkshires than us near the coast. We need way more to go right. Expect a washout but if we roll snake eyes somehow it can be a good outcome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

If we can get the Euro to show that as well for a couple runs, maybe we're onto something. Trend does seem to be to develop that offshore low sooner which brings colder air in and heavy snow banding. 

The three best models showing significant impacts tonight would be quite welcome. Let's see. Euro has has decent runs as of late...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

UKMET back to being hilarious. Has 12" or nearly in NYC and nothing in Hartford/Springfield because of downslope. Boston gets slushy 1-2" at the end. I can't imagine how SNE would melt down from that (there'd be little to melt anyway). I'd pay big bucks to see that. :popcorn: 

It was sort of 00Z NAM/GFSish at 12Z...it tried to do it again but did it less and consolidated better which is what made the difference 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

I think the problem is there are too many damn models we hedge our bets on… no one model is going to be right…. Stay tuned lol  

From my experience when dealing with a storm that's going to impact the entire subforum with snow, you see a clear signal on the vast majority of the models by now.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ukie is like 33 at the surface 12z Tuesday. That degree or two is all the difference 

UK is often slightly too warm at the surface. The key is consolidating the offshore low early and turning the flow around to NE to push the warm maritime crap away and make us benefit from crashing heights/dynamics. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

UKMET back to being hilarious. Has 12" or nearly in NYC and nothing in Hartford/Springfield because of downslope. Boston gets slushy 1-2" at the end. I can't imagine how SNE would melt down from that (there'd be little to melt anyway). I'd pay big bucks to see that. :popcorn: 

Like 4" qpf for us lol

• Haha 1