joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

EPS members for NYC:

image.png.ffc8a75fc9d0a27dbc4f54a4f51cd163.png

The number of members with large snowfalls of 10" or more has increased in such areas as Boston, Poughkeepsie and White Plains.

EPS members with a 4" average getting to 50% is pretty interesting.  The chances of a moderate impact here in terms of snowfall are still on the table.

Just now, MJO812 said:

640d18b228198.png

I didn't see the outputs on that run but I guess the low consolidates sooner and that inverted trough crap which is where most models produce our QPF from goes away. That's the shot we have for more than just wraparound flakes in NYC. 

Becoming very clear IMO and has been for a couple days that the places to be for this storm are the Helderbergs/N Catskills, Berkshires and Worcester hills. But the NW parts of our subforum do very well also if we can get that slightly quicker consolidation of the storm. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I didn't see the outputs on that run but I guess the low consolidates sooner and that inverted trough crap which is where most models produce our QPF from goes away. That's the shot we have for more than just wraparound flakes in NYC. 

Becoming very clear IMO and has been for a couple days that the places to be for this storm are the Helderbergs/N Catskills, Berkshires and Worcester hills. But the NW parts of our subforum do very well also if we can get that slightly quicker consolidation of the storm. 

Catskills get crushed big time

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I want to let this one go but the euro does good with big storms at least traditionally so it’s reeling me in. 

it's like the different globals are taking their turns keeping our attention lol

I don't think we have any chance of getting 6" of snow, but a 3-5 inch event is still pretty good, especially this season.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

it's like the different globals are taking their turns keeping our attention lol

I don't think we have any chance of getting 6" of snow, but  3-5 inch event is still pretty good, especially this season.

It’s mostly the euro and one gfs run. The cmc has not really shown anything great any run. The Ukie was showing a huge hit a day ago but has consistently backed off two straight runs. 

• Like 1

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Definitely deserves a weenie tag as Julian did.  Poughkeepsie and surrounding is NOT getting 27-30.  One can dream though....  I can see the highest Cats getting two feet under this solution. 

I think 1-2 feet pretty possible around Poughkeepsie. Most models seem to really like that area this time around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I don't think we have any chance of getting 6" of snow, but a 3-5 inch event is still pretty good, especially this season.

Expect rain from this and if it ends up as something more you’ll be happy. If you’re hoping for/expecting a MECS you’re very likely to get disappointed. Maybe not the worst time to check out Hunter Mountain lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

Expect rain from this and if it ends up as something more you’ll be happy. If you’re hoping for/expecting a MECS you’re very likely to get disappointed. Maybe not the worst time to check out Hunter Mountain lol. 

lol brings back such "nice" memories of the 80s and early 90s.

Even the Poconos won't get 6 inches from this will they-- especially the southern Poconos around Lake Harmony, at 2,000 ft asl?

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

We should all be excited to track this but I am noticing alot of Debbie downers on here.

Last storm of the season. Let's go out with a bang.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I think realistically at least most of us are not expecting a MECS but hoping for a 3-6 inch event on the backend. 

13 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

640d18b228198.png

Have seen moderately large discrepancies several times in the past week between snowfall amounts on SV vs those on Pivotal, with SV amouts being much higher and we're seeing it again.  Does anyone know the difference between their snowfall estimation algrithms to know if one or the other is more accurate? 

sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.png

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

Have seen moderately large discrepancies several times in the past week between snowfall amounts on SV vs those on Pivotal, with SV amouts being much higher and we're seeing it again.  Does anyone know the difference between their snowfall estimation algrithms to know if one or the other is more accurate? 

sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.png

Differences but the pivotal map definitely has the 6+ line further south than the 12z run. 

6 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Definitely deserves a weenie tag as Julian did.  Poughkeepsie and surrounding is NOT getting 27-30.  One can dream though....  I can see the highest Cats getting two feet under this solution. 

Also, it’s March. If it was January or February, there would be a higher chance of getting those 10:1 ratios.

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Differences but the pivotal map definitely has the 6+ line further south than the 12z run. 

Definitely true, as the 12Z has the 6" line roughly around 80 and 18Z has it roughly around 78, a difference of ~20 miles and 20 miles is ginormous to those of us on the fringes of good snowfall, i.e., anyone south of 78.  Still doesn't explain the discrepancy between SV and Pivotal snowfall maps, though.  

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

lol brings back such "nice" memories of the 80s and early 90s.

Even the Poconos won't get 6 inches from this will they-- especially the southern Poconos around Lake Harmony, at 2,000 ft asl?

Depends on where that initial inverted trough precip sets up, should be cold enough in the Poconos for it to be snow. 

• Like 1