Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

This most definitely isn't a bowling ball situation.

Some seem to have forgotten what exactly one of those looks like, but that's not surprising given it's been quite a while since we've seen one.

Truthfully? I know what they are but I cannot recall one since moving here in 2004. Probably have forgotten something but it sure seems like a very long time. 

Closest I can think of was 09-10 and I think it was Feb 10? It delivered a foot here and turned into over two feet from DC to Philly aka one of the apocalypse storms they had that winter? It was well closed off and slowed down once it reached the coast. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow.. This winter really has scorned some. Never dreamed the day I would ever seeing a thread so dead with a storm less then a couple of days out. 

I’m usually a lurker anyway but keep refreshing for y’all to give me your expertise and it’s crickets lol.

I’ll take a good grass covering but I think most of us are just ready to throw in the towel and welcome spring thunderstorms.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TheNiño said:

I’m usually a lurker anyway but keep refreshing for y’all to give me your expertise and it’s crickets lol.

I’ll take a good grass covering but I think most of us are just ready to throw in the towel and welcome spring thunderstorms.

Some just live In the wrong climo. Actual spring weather in early March and it holding in this region? Good luck with that. 

I admit this climo is very hard to handle at times for me. If it's not cold/snowy I want warmer vs what considered warmer around here. May come as a shock to some but I could easily see myself retiring in a place like San Diego. 60s/70s most of the year with little humidity is starting to look better as I get older. I don't like high heat and or humidity and I don't like bitter cold either and worse is like we had this winter in these so called warm winters with days on end of clouds and or drizzle and temps stuck between 38-44 day and night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Some just live In the wrong climo. Actual spring weather in early March and it holding in this region? Good luck with that. 

I admit this climo is very hard to handle at times for me. If it's not cold/snowy I want warmer vs what considered warmer around here. May come as a shock to some but I could easily see myself retiring in a place like San Diego. 60s/70s most of the year with little humidity is starting to look better as I get older. I don't like high heat and or humidity and I don't like bitter cold either and worse is like we had this winter in these so called warm winters with days on end of clouds and or drizzle and temps stuck between 38-44 day and night. 

That’s funny, I lived in San Diego for 7 years. And I’m not complaining I was very fortunate to do so. But damn the lack of interesting weather about killed me as a weather enthusiast. I do enjoy the season changes and bouts of extreme weather, even if it doesn’t happen often.

We have good and bad seasons here in SE Wisconsin. What got to me this season was getting my hopes up and getting increasingly excited as things trended to our favor… until less than 48hrs out as it totally fell apart.

I can handle seasons that are boring.  It was the build up only to be let down even after watches/warnings/advisories were already posted for moderate to significant snowfall. The Christmas storm being the biggest soul crusher as it was early this in the season.

As a snow lover I’d like to eventually live on the other side of the lake in a LE prone area. Maybe someday.

You’re not wrong at all I’m not arguing against your reply at all. It’s easy to see why so many on this sub forum are just fatigued though. It’s been an exceptionally rough winter. Maybe not even statistically, but emotionally it has been especially relentless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, TheNiño said:

That’s funny, I lived in San Diego for 7 years. And I’m not complaining I was very fortunate to do so. But damn the lack of interesting weather about killed me as a weather enthusiast. I do enjoy the season changes and bouts of extreme weather, even if it doesn’t happen often.

We have good and bad seasons here in SE Wisconsin. What got to me this season was getting my hopes up and getting increasingly excited as things trended to our favor… until less than 48hrs out as it totally fell apart.

I can handle seasons that are boring.  It was the build up only to be let down even after watches/warnings/advisories were already posted for moderate to significant snowfall. The Christmas storm being the biggest soul crusher as it was early this in the season.

As a snow lover I’d like to eventually live on the other side of the lake in a LE prone area. Maybe someday.

You’re not wrong at all I’m not arguing against your reply at all. It’s easy to see why so many on this sub forum are just fatigued though. It’s been an exceptionally rough winter. Maybe not even statistically, but emotionally it has been especially relentless. 

Thing is I have probably seen it all. 2+footer snowstorms, severe winds and or hurricane, etc. Winter 13-14 will be hard to top for winter where as summer/fall 85 will be hard to top from a hurricane etc prospective. Snow cover and depth records. Goons be near impossible to impress me here on any winter event aka snowstorm. I have seen Jan 67 ( here ) elsewhere but I am near certain it won't happen here again till I am long gone at least. Yes I have accepted the climo of this region and it has been a fun ride. I snuck in 2 18+ events and the 21+ les just this past November. Can't ask for much more here. 13-14 will never top total seasonal snowfall and snow cover while 95-96 will ever top big snowstorm back east where I was. More then enough severe wx stuff between hail, wind, and tornado. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I don't like high heat and or humidity and I don't like bitter cold either and worse is like we had this winter in these so called warm winters with days on end of clouds and or drizzle and temps stuck between 38-44 day and night. 

I don't mind *calm* bitter cold with a decent snowpack ( wind sucks tho ), but I concur with the clouds and 38-44 crap.  It makes it really hard to want to get out of bed.  

checked on the storm thread and accidentally landed in the banter thread. I even miss Hawkeye complaining the overnight euro cut his totals in half. BTW,,,from LOT this AM:

CAN'T EVEN TOTALLY RULE OUT A   
ROGUE LIGHTNING STRIKE OR TWO LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO   
THURSDAY EVENING.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Thing is I have probably seen it all. 2+footer snowstorms, severe winds and or hurricane, etc. Winter 13-14 will be hard to top for winter where as summer/fall 85 will be hard to top from a hurricane etc prospective. Snow cover and depth records. Goons be near impossible to impress me here on any winter event aka snowstorm. I have seen Jan 67 ( here ) elsewhere but I am near certain it won't happen here again till I am long gone at least. Yes I have accepted the climo of this region and it has been a fun ride. I snuck in 2 18+ events and the 21+ les just this past November. Can't ask for much more here. 13-14 will never top total seasonal snowfall and snow cover while 95-96 will ever top big snowstorm back east where I was. More then enough severe wx stuff between hail, wind, and tornado. 

I am kind of the opposite in that I would move to the UP / Keweenaw before moving to San Diego.  :lol:  If I was to move to to the SW I would choose Flagstaff AZ: lots of Sun, lots of snow, occasional monsoonal t-storms and not very hot.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

final call 3"

Snow, possibly mixed with rain before midnight, then snow between midnight and 3am, then snow, possibly mixed with rain after 3am. Low around 33. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible

:yikes:

• Haha 3

Dallas really is the best climo for a weather weenie, if we're being honest.

Besides the long warm seasons and seeing plenty of sun, there aren't many places (at least in the US) where you can go from:

*A historic deep freeze in February (2021) to...

*A December of wall-to-wall Summer-like weather in the same year (2021), plus...

*A historic tornado outbreak the following December (2022), not to mention...

*One of the worst droughts and driest/hottest Summers ever completely busted by a freak deluge in a matter of hours (2022)...

The best part is, these types of events aren't nearly as destructive as a Hurricane, Tsunami or Earthquake of decent strength would be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

no snow, too hot and dry, no 'cane, sucks imo

Hurricanes can be a lot more destructive, and it has snowed all 3 winters I've been here (it just hasn't accumulated in blankets and stuck around forever).

I'll also take too hot over too cold (Chicago).

EDIT: I also wouldn't say Dallas averaging 40" of rain per year (roughly the same amount as Chicago) is "too dry" either, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Flip the number of days above 100

Last year Dallas recorded 21 consecutive days over 100 and a total of 47 days over 100 for the year. That's absolute garbage.

Anyways, back to the impending event. I'm setting the expectation at 3 inches... and am certainly prepared to be disappointed (again).

Dallas climo is definitely not great if you're mostly just a winter weather weenie. Eskimo climos such as Chicago and Minneapolis (where you're rocking parkas and slipping/sliding on ice/snow for 3-6 months) would be more ideal for sure.

But a winter weather weenie is not necessarily a weather weenie, who is someone that likes to see/track all kinds of active/extreme weather and a variety of it on a frequent basis.

• Like 3

I'll do any weather except hurricanes. Idk how mfers post up a kilometer from the ocean knowing it's basically a matter of time till their house gets swept away. Summer derechos do the trick for me. 

Edit: One day I'd love to chase a hurricane tho

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tuanis said:

I'd argue Chicago sees a wider variety of active/extreme weather than Dallas. Minneapolis not as much.

A good variety of weather? Sure.

To the same extreme or frequency as Dallas? Aside from snowfall, I doubt it. Even the temperature swings in Dallas tend to be more extreme (gotta love the Plains!).

https://www.wamc.org/new-england-news/2015-11-12/environment-america-unveils-severe-weather-map

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/01/weekinreview/01safe.html?hp

That said, who knows (with climate change and all) what the future will bring in the coming years with weather patterns & events...

A good variety of weather? Sure.
To the same extreme or frequency as Dallas? Aside from snowfall, I doubt it. Even the temperature swings in Dallas tend to be more extreme (gotta love the Plains!).
https://www.wamc.org/new-england-news/2015-11-12/environment-america-unveils-severe-weather-map
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/01/weekinreview/01safe.html?hp
That said, who knows (with climate change and all) what the future will bring in the coming years with weather patterns & events...

I don’t have the actual stats in front of me but I’m willing to bet from one seasonal extreme to the other MSP has a bigger temp swing than Dallas.