Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

5 hours ago, rainsucks said:

To be fair, it's been a pretty warm start to the month. These departures will be dropping the next few days tho

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

You're right, but that's gonna change real soon. I would want those positive anomalies at the end of the month and the negatives ones during the first 10 days of the month.

11 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Sigh.

Back to the lame game here. Watched DTX's radar loop several times. Downriver gets a boost via Lk Erie, and W/NW of here gets a little boost via elevation & temps . Meanwhile I get 2.5"

Just curious. Did you measure, or are you going by what was on the DTX storm summary? The reason I ask is because I know the person who called in the 2.5" for Canton (Aaron, he posts here sometimes) and that report was from like 7am. His final total was 4.2". It's always annoying when they use reports from midstorm in the final summary. @AWMT30

SnowWebGraphic_DTX.png

@AWMT30

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Just curious. Did you measure, or are you going by what was on the DTX storm summary? The reason I ask is because I know the person who called in the 2.5" for Canton (Aaron, he posts here sometimes) and that report was from like 7am. His final total was 4.2". It's always annoying when they use reports from midstorm in the final summary. @AWMT30

SnowWebGraphic_DTX.png

@AWMT30

You and me both. GRR has had a habit of that as well with using mid storm total for final. 

Official total here was 7.3 bringing the season total to 73.1. Grand Rapids area is above the 100 mark. 

16 hours ago, Harry said:

You and me both. GRR has had a habit of that as well with using mid storm total for final. 

Official total here was 7.3 bringing the season total to 73.1. Grand Rapids area is above the 100 mark. 

Very impressive. I'm at 34.0" not counting the snow thus morning. Can't complain tho with the type of winter it's been for most.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Very impressive. I'm at 34.0" not counting the snow thus morning. Can't complain tho with the type of winter it's been for most.

I upgrade this winter from a 82.5% to 86% I’m very pleased thus far. And the warm spells make it easier to work outside so all in all a good winter and still trending up for my final grade in about a month

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I upgrade this winter from a 82.5% to 86% I’m very pleased thus far. And the warm spells make it easier to work outside so all in all a good winter and still trending up for my final grade in about a month

I agree with 86% so far the biggest knock on this the warmth.  Ski conditions were miserable on the local hills.  It's pretty amazing how many positives this winter has had considered how above normal the temps have been.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, michsnowfreak said:

SnowWebGraphic_DTX.png

@AWMT30

No, I couldn't measure since I am at work about 11 hrs a day. This snow was mostly gone by evening. No signs of plowing on our streets, just a little sidewalk clearing. IF we actually got 4-5" then it was the fastest melt-off of that amount in history, lol. (DTW for example had 4" depth reported Sat morning). Drove to work in on/off moderate rates with about an inch down. Left my wipers up to make clearing the windshield easier after work (like normally on a snowfall day). Wasn't a flake to be found on my car when I got to it. I was embarrassed I left them up tbh. What a joke event - total opposite of the week prior when the most heavily pre-salted roads and parking lots had tons of snow that needed plowing despite temps never really getting properly below freezing. Impressive to see piles, and even some area plow banks still making it look a lot more like winter here despite 45 and 50F almost every day. 

On 3/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, michsnowfreak said:

SnowWebGraphic_DTX.png

@AWMT30

I see they did completely dismiss that ridiculous lowball report out of GP...:lol:

I came in yesterday evening (will be here for 1 month), and I'm surprised just about all the snow from that system is gone. Full leaf out is underway back in Dallas, and the buds/leaves slowly but gradually got fewer & fewer the further NE I got. Once I got north of Dayton, everything was still dead.

Unfortuantely, I left the day it got up to 88*F down there.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:58 PM, Harry said:

Before today's snow I believe GRR is sitting at #7 on the all time snowiest winter list.  With all the melting in between you would never have guessed that.  It has been a winter of a few significant events and very little snowcover overall.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

I see they did completely dismiss that ridiculous lowball report out of GP...:lol:

I came in yesterday evening (will be here for 1 month), and I'm surprised just about all the snow from that system is gone. Full leaf out is underway back in Dallas, and the buds/leaves slowly but gradually got fewer & fewer the further NE I got. Once I got north of Dayton, everything was still dead.

Unfortunately, I left the day it got up to 88*F down there.

They did, lol. P-sure the Canton report's legit tho. You can see there were similar totals not too far north of here and I believe it extended further S to this region as well.

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Before today's snow I believe GRR is sitting at #7 on the all time snowiest winter list.  With all the melting in between you would never have guessed that.  It has been a winter of a few significant events and very little snowcover overall.

Yeah that's the crazy part. It really hasn't felt that snowy. Of course here it has all come in Nov, Dec, and March. Truthfully it has had a east coast feel with the big snow ( Nov les event ) and the constant bare ground/quick melt offs.  The big bonus was of course the white Christmas. Still deciding on a grade. The floor is a B. 

18 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

No, I couldn't measure since I am at work about 11 hrs a day. This snow was mostly gone by evening. No signs of plowing on our streets, just a little sidewalk clearing. IF we actually got 4-5" then it was the fastest melt-off of that amount in history, lol. (DTW for example had 4" depth reported Sat morning). Drove to work in on/off moderate rates with about an inch down. Left my wipers up to make clearing the windshield easier after work (like normally on a snowfall day). Wasn't a flake to be found on my car when I got to it. I was embarrassed I left them up tbh. What a joke event - total opposite of the week prior when the most heavily pre-salted roads and parking lots had tons of snow that needed plowing despite temps never really getting properly below freezing. Impressive to see piles, and even some area plow banks still making it look a lot more like winter here despite 45 and 50F almost every day. 

It melted very fast. This was the depth at 1pm and 8pm.

Screenshot_20230313_180107_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

Unfortuantely, I left the day it got up to 88*F down there.

This month has been a constant stream of snowing and melting, snowing and melting. If this pattern were in december, even with the mild temperatures, there would be a lot more left on the ground. You should've come 10 days ago for all the fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

This month has been a constant stream of snowing and melting, snowing and melting. If this pattern were in december, even with the mild temperatures, there would be a lot more left on the ground. You should've come 10 days ago for all the fun.

We have a pretty solid snow look here.  4-8" on the ground (a bit less in the blowing and more in drift areas of course).   We still have a few inches from the big dog (never lost it all) in many areas.  In fact there is still some sleet from the sleet fest storm in shaded areas. If you got ride of all the melting I would have a good 20" on the ground since the second ice storm.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lightning said:

We have a pretty solid snow look here.  4-8" on the ground (a bit less in the blowing and more in drift areas of course).   We still have a few inches from the big dog (never lost it all) in many areas.  In fact there is still some sleet from the sleet fest storm in shaded areas. If you got ride of all the melting I would have a good 20" on the ground since the second ice storm.

Before today's new snow, we had several inches in full shaded areas and bare in full sun.