Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

19 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Name? Asking for a friend :)

We need the upcoming pattern to be more like Gelato, and less like a bunch of sticks and pebbles.

Additionally, I agree with the general consensus that tracking individual low pressure systems at 7+ days is amateur hour stuff.  We're better than that lol.  I think it's best to just follow the teleconnections and hope that a wave break can happen at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If I can summarize this…The concerns wrt the initial wave if it comes out in one monster amplification like todays Ops are founded.  There is a lot of ridging in front left over from the current pattern.  Even with a block an over amped wave will push the boundary to our NW.  This is why we usually do better with the follow up waves in a blocking regime!  

The one fly in that ointment would be a crazy bomb from wave one could suck the air out of the pattern and squash everything behind it.  I don’t mind a 990 cutter to start the pattern…we don’t want some sub 980 monster firming a TPV over Ohio!  

Luckily if I had to root for the guidance to be over or under amplified at long leads I’ll take needing to root against the crazy once a decade anomaly every time!  

That would be my biggest fear a repeat of the Christmas pattern. We get some type of historic cold while it snows in the lakes for days. Any follow up wave would be crushed south giving Atl a shot of late season snow in the tulips 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LP08 said:

EPS looking very similar to my amateur eyes to the OP.  Slower, stronger wave out west resulting in the mean SLP in the Midwest.

I didn't particularly love 0z Eps either.  It's better than what we're currently working with, but I think the same general rule follows (that I've learned on here) which is you want that H5 track to be further south.

The theme all winter is for model's to pretty much lock into a general final solution from about 5 days or 120hrs out. Small wobbles here and there but general track etc pretty much set by that point. Given the blocking that's setting up and how this slow's the flow down a bit, I wouldn't be suprised if the general track is nailed down earlier than that for the 11-12th threat. So I'd imagine we've got another day or two of some crazy swings before the ops really start locking it in. 

• Like 1

we're still 8-10 days out lmao, there will be a lot of spread and ops will be going all over the place, anything is possible, cutter, inland runner, coastal storm, suppression

no reason to freak out over a single run of anything at this range, its good the storm is there with a good signal and the pattern is conducive for a medium-high end event

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jayyy said:

This is why I said last night that I’m pissed cmc showed a massive dead hit blizzard. Any OP run that shows otherwise will have people freaking out.

Wait. For. The. Ensembles. Fuckers.

We shouldn't be waiting for anything at this point...

In every thread, including the other MARCH long range thread, we've been pointed out to (and rightfully so) how the long range ensembles have been trash all season (Ops, with their cutters and bad solutions, have won in EVERY case the Ens have showed a favorable pattern) and not to hang on to them. At no point so far have they proven themselves to be any more reliable than the ops. Now, by some of those same people, we're told to trust them this time and get mad when people don't. Is that fair?

At this point, I trust the squirrels in my backyard more than any Ens or Op.

Also,

"ur analysis"

*snicker*

1 minute ago, AtlanticWx said:

could anykne explain to me as to how this is a midwest snowstorm look? genuine questikn

One thing I noticed was the 50/50…is that an ideal position I wonder.  Would it be better to have it more SW or would that suppress things?  

7 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

could anykne explain to me as to how this is a midwest snowstorm look? genuine questikn

As much as people are denying, the SER base state is a real thing. I keep hearing that isn't a ridge in the SE at 120 hrs it's just a response to the digging sw out west......which is a ridge....in the Southeast. It isnt going anywhere, yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

As much as people are denying, the SER base state is a real thing. I keep hearing that isn't a ridge in the SE at 120 hrs it's just a response to the digging sw out west......which is a ridge....in the Southeast. It isnt going anywhere, yet.

To further illustrate out later in the op run, please tell me how this isnt a SER

gfs_z500a_us_29.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic