• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

On earlier runs the NS energy rotating down underneath the ridge bridge was largely able to escape west- absorbed by the Pacific trough, while a healthy piece of vorticity ejected eastward. Recent runs have a more amped EPO ridge, forcing most of that energy southward, significantly amplifying the trough and inhibiting a wave from ejecting.
1678276800-Vd5u8J6kUoc.png
1678276800-8SSGZOAJJww.png

Great post. We can’t catch a break can we? It’s really a damn shame.

At least models quickly changed today and didn’t tease us within 4-5 days.

Time to shift focus to 14-17th honestly, which is the time frame I’ve felt good about all along. We fail there then whatever it’s time for spring

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Heisy said:

Great post. We can’t catch a break can we? It’s really a damn shame.

At least models quickly changed today and didn’t tease us within 4-5 days.

Time to shift focus to 14-17th honestly, which is the time frame I’ve felt good about all along. We fail there then whatever it’s time for spring

Everything is harder with an active NS, and we still are in a Nina. We really fucking need a Mod Nino with sustained NA blocking next winter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

throw in the towel at 8 days if you want, but don’t come back if things become more favorable. there are going to be many changes 

How many times have we heard you say this? I appreciate your posts but at some point we gotta recognize that this isn't really even close to an east coast snow storm look. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

throw in the towel at 8 days if you want, but don’t come back if things become more favorable. there are going to be many changes 

This is in no disrespect to your red tag, but there aren’t many Mets who I can say I’ve never seen poo poo on threats or opportunities. Your posts are always pro snow & pattern, and that’s not lining up with any of the ground truth we’ve had. 

there’s a difference between optimism and realism. The upstream look on the last few suites isnt making any friends here and the observation is that it would be very difficult to score with that look. There’s no sugar coating it was ugly. Are we giving up, no…but it’s about to be 4th down and long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Game over right here. The energy associated with that vorticity lobe stuck between/underneath the 2 blocks has to dig south, and it phases in.

1678298400-HrBaiqf1Uhc.png

A chapter from the PSU 101 " How not to get snow when the pattern looked promising" Cliff notes available on Amazon. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

This is in no disrespect to your red tag, but there aren’t many Mets who I can say I’ve never seen poo poo on threats or opportunities. Your posts are always pro snow & pattern, and that’s not lining up with any of the ground truth we’ve had. 

there’s a difference between optimism and realism. The upstream look on the last few suites isnt making any friends here and the observation is that it would be very difficult to score with that look. There’s no sugar coating it was ugly. Are we giving up, no…but it’s about to be 4th down and long. 

dude, i have poo poo’d half the damn winter. I’m also not going to completely shift my thinking in 12 hours from what i’ve been thinking over the last 5 days. if we’re still here on Sunday, yeah, but there’s value in sticking to things a bit and not being so reactionary 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

dude, i have poo poo’d half the damn winter. I’m also not going to completely shift my thinking in 12 hours from what i’ve been thinking over the last 5 days. if we’re still here on Sunday, yeah, but there’s value in sticking to things a bit and not being so reactionary 

You can think what you want and I respect your opinions/input. But eventually It looks weenie-ish. 

• Weenie 3

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

There's time at least lol. Could happen.

Someone said it but it looks exactly like 6z yesterday.  Wow.  Yes maybe.  I don’t know what throwing in the towel looks like anyway.  I mean we will all still be here anyway. 

2 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

You can think what you want and I respect your opinions/input. But eventually It looks weenie-ish. 

telling people not to completely abandon multiple days’ worth of thinking because of like 3 OP runs is weenie-ish?

ok dude. sometimes you have to stick to your guns a bit and let the cards fall further. that’s how forecasting works

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

Nothing is etched in stone. My observations are specific to this run/recent runs. In general though, everyone has seen this movie play out over and over this winter and it always ends the same. Thus the pessimism. Pattern is somewhat more favorable, and given all the chaos, there is no reason to think the timing and degree of interaction between the key waves is nailed down by guidance 7 days out. Plenty of time.

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic