Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

54 minutes ago, Ji said:

we actually havent had a real heartbreak this winter. you remember those winter where we track storms for 10 days non stop....and we make it to day 2...and we get a slight shift which takes us from 4-8 to 1 inch or less....those to me are much worse than losing a threat at 5 days out. God has been merciful on us in that regard this winter

This is a great point. If people are locking themselves in for storms 7+ days out, the heartbreak is not on the models, it's on you. 

15 minutes ago, LP08 said:

For whatever reason, this map looks wild to me.  The SER will not die.

GFS 189.webp

And projections for its death have been wrong all winter. I think that redonkulous HL blocking probably will happen, but I’d sell on the SE ridge getting beat down for more than a couple days until it’s inside D5-7.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Just like how this wasn't a head fake? Always 10 days away

I am hopeful for the first time all year. And yes it’s sucks it has to come at the tail end of snow climo but it is what it is. 

But here is why I think think time could be different.  

1) March wavelengths produce different outcomes. The central pacific ridge feature isn’t as much a problem with a shorter wavelength longwave configuration. 

2) more favorable tropical forcing than we’ve had all season 

3) a true major SSWE that coupled with the TPV

The effects of these 3 can be seen on the guidance and it’s not the same head fake as before.  The pacific isn’t going to get great, but the ridge gets displaced NE  some and a mid latitude trough undercuts it in the central pac.  That’s a less hostile configuration than a full latitude ridge through the Aleutians!  Still not great, but workable if other things are good which they are.  The retrograding block links up with the pacific ridge completely which leaves no weakness for systems to cut in between which has been an issue.  Mid latitude systems will be forced to slide east under the blocking across the top.  

All that doesn’t guarantee we get snow but I think this time we have a legit chance unlike all the other fake long range threats.  Those were a false flag product of the guidance continually trying to change the result of the same forcing.  That was just bunk.  This time the equation has actually changed some.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am hopeful for the first time all year. And yes it’s sucks it has to come at the tail end of snow climo but it is what it is. 

But here is why I think think time could be different.  

1) March wavelengths produce different outcomes. The central pacific ridge feature isn’t as much a problem with a shorter wavelength longwave configuration. 

2) more favorable tropical forcing than we’ve had all season 

3) a true major SSWE that coupled with the TPV

The effects of these 3 can be seen on the guidance and it’s not the same head fake as before.  The pacific isn’t going to get great, but the ridge gets displaced NE  some and a mid latitude trough undercuts it in the central pac.  That’s a less hostile configuration than a full latitude ridge through the Aleutians!  Still not great, but workable if other things are good which they are.  The retrograding block links up with the pacific ridge completely which leaves no weakness for systems to cut in between which has been an issue.  Mid latitude systems will be forced to slide east under the blocking across the top.  

All that doesn’t guarantee we get snow but I think this time we have a legit chance unlike all the other fake long range threats.  Those were a false flag product of the guidance continually trying to change the result of the same forcing.  That was just bunk.  This time the equation has actually changed some.  

do shorter wavelengths affect the Atlantic teleconnections?

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

And projections for its death have been wrong all winter. I think that redonkulous HL blocking probably will happen, but I’d sell on the SE ridge getting beat down for more than a couple days until it’s inside D5-7.

I do worry about that ridge. But..if we get a crazy retrograding block, string phase 8 mjo which shifts the pac ridge northeast and links with the NAO block…and it still can’t win v that ridge… well you tell me?  Then what?  What exactly are we looking for?  Can’t say “it’s the pac” anymore because the pac forcing is about to become pretty neutral and combined with the blocking certainly not something you can use to blame and excuse that kind of ridge!  

So yes I am concerned the ridge wins. But I’d it does that’s the conclusion of my book right there!   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1