Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, GGEM is really close....gets really heavy banding into Cape and far S shore. It's cold enough at 925 and 850 for snow, so if that backed in a little further, then we'd be talking a legit event.

I still think the odds are pretty low though. Seems like that kicker shortwave coming through the lakes will inhibit this from coming much further north.

That kicker is really whats messing with this on all modeling basically, Some of these runs have it further east booting it offshore, But the system around the 23rd looks to be the one to watch though.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That kicker is really whats messing with this on all modeling basically, Some of these runs have it further east booting it offshore, But the system around the 23rd looks to be the one to watch though.

The 23rd is two weeks from today.  I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic lol, or serious? 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

The 23rd is two weeks from today.  I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic lol, or serious? 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Sadly he is being serious 

There is cold air in place after the cutter on the 17th so that would be when the next shot for wintry weather for SNE would be.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Great recollections.  I'd add 2 storms within your NJ set:

3/20-21/1958: A two-day two-foot paste bomb, with some family drama included (but that's a long story).  Our 700' elevation helped with the accumulation.

1/19-20/1961:  The JFK inaugural event.  We had 20", including the only accumulating snow at <10° I saw in NNJ.  This storm began the record 17-day stretch of <30° in NYC and started the pack that 2/3-4/61 brought to record depths of up to 52" in NNJ, probably 45" at our place.

I was at Johns Hopkins during the 1/29-30/1966 storm, a full blizzard in Baltimore with only 3-4 streets passable in the city at storm's height and many side streets not yet plowed a week later.

Since my NNJ days, the clear #1 is the April blizzard of 1982, also a well-discussed storm on the forum.  However, the 1998 ice storm had by far the greatest impact on life in general.

I deliberately left out the JFK inaugural storm because it was the 2nd big event that winter and it kind of got overshadowed by 2/3-4 but it was fun for sure and of course we got a snow day out of it.  The 12/11-12/60 storm gave is 2 snow days and the February 61 storm happened on a Friday/Friday night so school as normal Monday.

The March 58 was a legendary event but my recollection is the temperature was marginal and the plow easily managed it.  Also, I think mby got closer to a foot vs your 2 feet.   It was a paste bomb indeed!

It seemed during those years we got solid snow near the equinox annually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

However, the 1998 ice storm had by far the greatest impact on life in general.

I grew up near Lake Winnipesaukee.  I was a college student home on break.  It was surreal.  Like the apocalypse had just happened.  The impact it had on the woods/forests for years to come was amazing.  Can probably still see some effects.  Massive trees completely bent over with their tips touching the ground, many of which never recovered.  We headed a little south and everything was fine. shacked up in hotel rooms with my parents and a couple of their friends.  My dad grumbling that he had to pay for a hotel room so close to his house.  lol.   

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Even that will get ruined by some renegade 2-4 incher before mid April….

Yeah the only place I feel like has a decent shot at futility is BDR....anyone else really just needs an advisory event (or less in the case of BOS) to ruin any futility chances. Given that there's some evidence we go into a bit more of normal look for late Feb and perhaps favorable look beyond that, I don't have a reason to buy the futility futures right now.

• Like 4