Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, MJO812 said:

JB says wild March coming because of the SSWE

It probably would be too late...but I do think the SSW aside March has potential.  I have been saying for weeks and still say those hoping for the snow record in NYC and even some other spots into SNE are gonna get March 92'd or March 98'd...I have my doubts NYC even finishes in the top 10...its only gonna take one decent event to take them out of the top 5

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It would be pretty funny if we did a reverse Oct11. Warm March and everyone starts leafing out, working on their yards, waxing vehicles…and here comes a month end or early April HECS. 

I’ll sign up for that. It’d be gone in 2 days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It would be pretty funny if we did a reverse Oct11. Warm March and everyone starts leafing out, working on their yards, waxing vehicles…and here comes a month end or early April HECS. 

18” on Memorial Day right to the coast. I actually do wonder what an equivalent springtime analog of Oct ‘11 would look like. 

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

My top storms...not necessarily in order of rank but chronological order from oldest to newest.

1.  3/19/56.

Still one of my all timers made great by the fact that 1-2 inches were forecasted.  It was a Sunday and 2 days earlier on Friday we got  quick hitting 4-6 giving us sledding snow.   A whole bunch of us 9-10 year old boomers were sledding and having so much fun that we didn't realize how hard it was snowing until everyone's mother came to get them.  The next morning had drifts up beyond 10 feet in spots with the storm still raging. 

2.  3/3/60

A sub par winter.  In the final days of February a strong front cleared the coast producing rain during the day.  The next couple of days were mid winter cold and I remember thinking-if only we can get a storm!   On 3/3 snow began at 7AM and watching the white wisps blow across the street I sensed we were in for some fun.  Of course school wasn't cancelled and we were let out at Noon at the height of the storm.   

2. 12/11-12, 1960

A week after near 70 degree wx which made me quite downhearted, I awaken Sunday to a forecast of possible heavy snow.  Giants/Washington game on in very heavy snow in DC.  Meanwhile, light snow began around 3PM but only accumulated an inch by 9.  Then things started ramping up and by 5am a foot had fallen in NYC (I was in NNJ) and it kept on going-ended up officially with 17 inches but it felt like a lot more where I was.  

3.  2/3-4, 1961

After a couple of very cold weeks-I made a weather station for my 8th grade science project and it was easy to set gradations on my thermometer-it was near 0 the morning of the due date and I left it out all night.  I set 70 degrees the previous afternoon after setting the indoor thermostat.  The storm started on a Friday and by Friday night it was snowing so hard you could actually observe the accumulation rise.  ACY ended up with 2 inches + of rain so this was 2 feet of heavy wet snow.  The storm as the pattern changer-the cold pattern was over but we still had more snow but the winter had showed us its best already.

4.  January 1966-can't remember the date but it was the blizzard of 66 and I was in college-Ithaca, NY.  It snowed with LES a little bit every day until the big one dumped what seemed like feet.  Those were some great years!

5.  2/9/69-the so called Lindsay Storm

Forecasts were for 3-5 inches and a change to rain.  I happened to be home for the weekend and shadowing this optometrist in his office for the day.  I remember that Saturday as overcast with temperatures in the low 40s-not exactly what you're looking for leading up to a big snow.  Late that night snow began with marginal temperatures and I went to bed.  The next morning and throughout the day it was a raging blizzard-and totally unexpected.  Modest snow to rain expected-18-24 resulted.   That Sunday I realized my Dad was a weenie.  He insisted we got out at the height of the storm to get something we didn't really need...lol.  We both weenied out together-and I think both of us realized we missed my childhood doing it....  Heading back to college the next day and Ithaca got fringed-maybe 4 inches max.  

6.  2/2/74

A foot of overrunning snow unexpected.  A rare Saturday night you didn't have to wait in line at the old Hilltop Steak House.

7.  1/15/76 (unsure of exact date but it was January 76.

A very cold period culminated in the biggest Boston dump in quite a while.  I was living in Cambridgeport and decided to walk into Harvard Square at the height of the storm.  I stood in the middle of Harvard Square-the only human in sight-and prayed for my work to be called the next day.  I was working at a neighborhood health center and thankfully they closed.

I started my move to California 11/15/76 and stayed for 15 years.  I missed the 78 blizzard and everything leading up to it.  I did return for a visit a month afterwards and experienced an 8 inch dump which Bostonians treated as snow flurries given the prior major events.  All of my subsequent big events-winters we've talked of in the early through mid 90s and the stretches since 2000 have been covered by many others....

Great recollections.  I'd add 2 storms within your NJ set:

3/20-21/1958: A two-day two-foot paste bomb, with some family drama included (but that's a long story).  Our 700' elevation helped with the accumulation.

1/19-20/1961:  The JFK inaugural event.  We had 20", including the only accumulating snow at <10° I saw in NNJ.  This storm began the record 17-day stretch of <30° in NYC and started the pack that 2/3-4/61 brought to record depths of up to 52" in NNJ, probably 45" at our place.

I was at Johns Hopkins during the 1/29-30/1966 storm, a full blizzard in Baltimore with only 3-4 streets passable in the city at storm's height and many side streets not yet plowed a week later.

Since my NNJ days, the clear #1 is the April blizzard of 1982, also a well-discussed storm on the forum.  However, the 1998 ice storm had by far the greatest impact on life in general.

15 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Unless the NAM is right they are not seeing anything, the RGEM has the same ULL track and its all rain and I think this thing trends north.  I have told them don't be worried as of now in the metro there...this is typically a major snow event for them barring a north trend but this time with no cold air its not.

The dews are plenty cold in that region. I also don't see this trending north.

looks like pasty snow in the far interior of the southeast. I'm picking up what the NAM is throwing down.

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The dews are plenty cold in that region. I also don't see this trending north.

looks like pasty snow in the far interior of the southeast. I'm picking up what the NAM is throwing down.

I think you're right as far as snows somewhere but I think it lifts far enough north that ATL is all rain...the 12Z GFS/RGEM did go a bit north now with the ULL...its really only the Euro with that insanely closed far south track

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

April ‘82….was a fabulous spring blizzard!! Buried here with Waist deep snow after mild/warm temps the days prior. It’s in my top 4.  But I’d rather have a good first few weeks of March, and then mild up and move on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think you're right as far as snows somewhere but I think it lifts far enough north that ATL is all rain...the 12Z GFS/RGEM did go a bit north now with the ULL...its really only the Euro with that insanely closed far south track

How does it go north, though. 1028 mb high over Ohio; dews in the teens down the NC border.

gfs_Td2m_us_10.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_9.png

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Easter 1970?  (Early Easter, 3/29)   NYC had 4" while we had 11" of mid-low 20s powder, all during daylight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Radar says a period of waa snow is incoming, but I don't think so.  Would be nice to not get much rain though.  This event will shrink the snowpack a bit, but probably also solidify it even more through the weekend.  Some melting next week, but unless we get a big rain, high dews and wind event, this resilient snowpack will likely survive next week as we get at least into the 20s most nights.  It is the kind of pack that gets annoying unless we get 6-12 on top of it.  Maybe late next weekend or the week after.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

That's pretty late to have impacts if it even does. 

Accounting for delays you wouldn't see much until 2nd half of March where the spring clock is feverishly ticking 

List of years that had this PV disruption 3rd week of Feb is pretty impressive. When March is colder than Feb things happen. Teleconnections seem to merge to a cold look on weeklies

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's pretty late to have impacts if it even does. 

Accounting for delays you wouldn't see much until 2nd half of March where the spring clock is feverishly ticking 

idk. blocking is showing up during the first week of the month on modeling, and you can get snow for almost the entire month if enough cold air is displaced. I'll take my chances, and if it doesn't happen, it'll torch and that'll be nice too

like this storm happened with 10 days left on the month... was a significant one

20180320-20180322-1_63.thumb.jpg.00f1c4dee51affc1416ea8576d34fd74.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1