• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

If we don't score during the next 10 days.  CPC is still onboard for a rocking late February and hopefully early March.  Best not to read their discussion of week 3 and early week 4.  Yes a lot of qualifiers!

Should the MJO's propagation continue into phases 8 and 1 along with the prior forcing from phases 5, 6, and 7, there is a possibility that troughing may try to establish over the eastern CONUS during the end of Week 4 in conjunction with the development of a negative NAO, which could lead to colder temperatures across the East and Southeast. 

Yes it’s not even Feb yet, and I’m already punting to next winter. 

Might as well get the shutout year out of the way, because I’m 90% certain we won’t have back-to-back shutout seasons. Let’s just hope we don’t get an east-based +3 nino… otherwise all bets are off :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Might as well get the shutout year out of the way, because I’m 90% certain we won’t have back-to-back shutout seasons. Let’s just hope we don’t get an east-based +3 nino… otherwise all bets are off :whistle:

Pretty clear its over and has been since even before the late December arctic invasion.  I have given into the psu snow rational posts and it has enlightened me, as I feel relaxed seeing this winter just go away.  Only issue is that we may see a lot more of these winters in the years ahead.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

If we don't score during the next 10 days.  CPC is still onboard for a rocking late February and hopefully early March.  Best not to read their discussion of week 3 and early week 4.  Yes a lot of qualifiers!

Should the MJO's propagation continue into phases 8 and 1 along with the prior forcing from phases 5, 6, and 7, there is a possibility that troughing may try to establish over the eastern CONUS during the end of Week 4 in conjunction with the development of a negative NAO, which could lead to colder temperatures across the East and Southeast. 

Yeah, and no disrespect to them but "should" cold air settle into the east and "if" moisture meets up with it at the right time it "could" lead to snow somewhere. I'm telling ya, even some of the pros are perplexed attm.

2 hours ago, Ji said:

The SER shouldnt be a dominant feature on paper.

The SER is dominate because the west coast trough has been dominate. You cant have a suppressed SER with a trough on the west coast without some kind of ridiculous blocking. 

Edit: And by the way. What the hell happened to the PV getting beaten to death? That just kind of disappeared into lala land. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, frd said:

Pretty clear its over and has been since even before the late December arctic invasion.  I have given into the psu snow rational posts and it has enlightened me, as I feel relaxed seeing this winter just go away.  Only issue is that we may see a lot more of these winters in the years ahead.   

May be the case. Looks like a lot more trips to deep creek, colorado, and if I’m really itching for a 36” blizzard, Lake Tahoe. 

• Like 1

The SER is dominate because the west coast trough has been dominate. You cant have a suppressed SER with a trough on the west coast without some kind of ridiculous blocking. 
Edit: And by the way. What the hell happened to the PV getting beaten to death? That just kind of disappeared into lala land. 
The warming was decent but not major...the wind never reversed....so minor ssw not major so easy to recover:(
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

It’s been so not close to snowing that they haven’t even brined around here once, which normally happens even when there’s coldish rain forecast. So, at least this year thousands of tons of salt won’t end up in the streams.

There - silver lining found.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

I was a kid in the late 60’s-70s and back then lived just outside the Beltway in PG.  First 10 years of my life, 50% of those years had 10 inches or less….the first big snowstorm I remember is 1978, calm down everyone….

As a teen I grew up in the past 7 years so don’t go trying to figure out who has had it worse for childhood snow.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well who knows...maybe we'll back our way into some decent March event!  I know several here don't care for March snows, but I don't mind them!  We've had some good ones over the years.  And at this point with January gone, and February going...going...(gone?), I'd take a solid event in March (or later February) if we happened to get one.

(Speaking of "Morch"...I remember the absolute real March torch we got in 2012!!  80 degree days, and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom by St. Paddy's Day!  It was ridiculous.  I think that also led into a hot summer, when we had back-to-back Julys with 100+ temps...ugh!  I remember that because I was playing softball at the time and it was awful! :lol:)

2012 March was one of those "it's so warm right now and it's not supposed to be that this feels unsettling" moments.  I was on a business trip in Chicago and I got up for an early morning run (around 7am) and it was in the upper 60s out.  Like mid fuckin summer.

18 minutes ago, Ji said:
20 minutes ago, Terpeast said:
This will be the 5th time I see a rain/sleet mix at the onset this winter.
Pass.

Trending colder...was rain past few runs

They like a high pressure in the -AO domain

-PNA ridge near the Aleutians is really strong, too powerful to overcome, still not fully considered. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic