Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

23 minutes ago, Ji said:
31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
Too small a sample to draw conclusions but the last one was 2020 and the last 4 were all below below normal! 

Why...was there a se ridge?

There have only been 2 warm neutral winters since 2000 and 4 since 1950.  Way too small a sample to draw conclusions. But neutral is only within .5 of 0. Even a weak Nino often has muted impacts so I think it’s fair to lump all neutrals together. This is the composite for all neutral winters since 2000

10F2FC59-67A2-4C02-9ECD-C914F2A241AF.png.400c0ff2a9d16f5293a942be09240b87.png
We were discussing this the other day. Actually the flip in enso neutral winters accounts for a large portion of our degraded snow climo. 

From 1950 to 1993 neutral winters averaged 24” at BWI with 52% above avg. 

The last 30 years they avg 12” with 17% above avg.   Enso neutral used to be almost as good as Nino and now it’s been the worst enso state the past 30 years by avg, median, and % above normal. 

The main cause us a persistent SER.  @Terpeast speculated this winter is actually behaving more like a neutral than a Nina.  I’ve also tried to point this out when people root for a Nina to fade but it’s too late. Once you enter winter it’s better if the Nina persists. Neutral is even worse!  We actually have a better chance at a snowy Feb/Mar in a Nina that doesn’t fade  

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There have only been 2 warm neutral winters since 2000 and 4 since 1950.  Way too small a sample to draw conclusions. But neutral is only within .5 of 0. Even a weak Nino often has muted impacts so I think it’s fair to lump all neutrals together. This is the composite for all neutral winters since 2000

We were discussing this the other day. Actually the flip in enso neutral winters accounts for a large portion of our degraded snow climo. 

From 1950 to 1993 neutral winters averaged 24” at BWI with 52% above avg. 

The last 30 years they avg 12” with 17% above avg.   Enso neutral used to be almost as good as Nino and now it’s been the worst enso state the past 30 years by avg, median, and % above normal. 

The main cause us a persistent SER.  @Terpeast speculated this winter is actually behaving more like a neutral than a Nina.  I’ve also tried to point this out when people root for a Nina to fade but it’s too late. Once you enter winter it’s better if the Nina persists. Neutral is even worse!  We actually have a better chance at a snowy Feb/Mar in a Nina that doesn’t fade  

You'd be better off making conclusion based on subsurface ENSO.. higher correlation. by a pretty significant margin actually vs the surface difference

An example is this year so far being more +PNA vs 10-year average,. when subsurface is +Neutral-weak El Nino vs surface La Nina

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

My last dank 120 for HH. :(

Desperate times. Old Fashioned next.

It's so hard to find a coveted 120 here.  I searched and did find one store semi-close by.   I'm going to wait until we are chasing the real deal and buy a 4 pack.  They should be cheaper by then in 2024

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

No good news. :(.  I'm sorry

There is just no win to be had here. Until we see stream interaction in which there is actually a legit frozen representation to the north of storms at or south of our latitude…we are just rearranging deck chairs. There is no real path. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

There is just no win to be had here. Until we see stream interaction in which there is actually a legit frozen representation to the north of storms at or south of our latitude…we are just rearranging deck chairs. There is no real path. 

Yeah, I'm calling this one and hoping there's something behind it.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

There are two s/w behind it, but definitely not in synch to phase like 12z

Every once in a while a crazy anomaly happens. But on that 12z run things went like 95% right and it still didn’t work with that next wave.  Last weekend we had a perfect track coastal and no one even noticed as it was raining. We’re in real bad shape. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic