Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

When most here speak of 'big ones' it's usually in reference to a KU. Well, except for ravensrule that is.

For years, all I would care about would be the big time snow events.  If the long range model wasnt putting out 12+ inches, then I didnt care.  Over the years however, I have learned that this is a losing proposition and promotes misery in my life.  I think I finally have gotten to the point where I would be happy with just some snow.  Or maybe more frequent smaller storms. 

Getting wrapped up in the KUs and BECS and HECS and Bombs etc is a tough business to be in..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

For years, all I would care about would be the big time snow events.  If the long range model wasnt putting out 12+ inches, then I didnt care.  Over the years however, I have learned that this is a losing proposition and promotes misery in my life.  I think I finally have gotten to the point where I would be happy with just some snow.  Or maybe more frequent smaller storms. 

Getting wrapped up in the KUs and BECS and HECS and Bombs etc is a tough business to be in..

even a 4-8” event would be awesome, better to focus on the individual events than spending sm time worrying about whether the season will reach average snow or not

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

I have been on here for years, and I know that KU storms are the biggest of all the storms.  However, I still have no idea what the abbreviation stands for.  Can someone enlighten me?

1 minute ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

I am all about getting snow that I can go out in and experience and enjoy. That means having at least a few days of actual cold. Even a few inches will do. Last Jan was fantastic for that here. We pretty much know when we are in for a biggie as the signal on guidance typically locks in within 5 days, and in most cases that involves a Nino.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

I dont think this is a big one at all... but if you like simple straight forward user-friendly 4-8 inch area wide snow storm... this might be our best bet.

Understood, sitting at 0.0 inches on the season so 4-8 would feel pretty dang ole big. Just trying to get excited for some real threat tracking as opposed to “in 15 days the pattern gets good”.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I am all about getting snow that I can go out in and experience and enjoy. That means having at least a few days of actual cold. Even a few inches will do. Last Jan was fantastic for that here. We pretty much know when we are in for a biggie as the signal on guidance typically locks in within 5 days, and in most cases that involves a Nino.

Oh I just realized that you are on the eastern shore.. didnt you guys have a top ten season last year? 

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

Understood, sitting at 0.0 inches on the season so 4-8 would feel pretty dang ole big. Just trying to get excited for some real threat tracking as opposed to “in 15 days the pattern gets good”.

18z is not even close.  Not even a hint of anything.  Not saying it’s right.  

• Sad 1

OP GFS has always been a bad model, but I feel like it has been absolutely atrocious this year. Anyone have the model validation chart?

I wouldn’t worry even a little bit what this model shows beyond 120 hours.

Keep looking at the GEFS. Yea they’ll follow the leader a little bit, but chess pieces still on the board at 18z

Long way to go…

c894c946dc527c235a57a8e9774014de.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WesternFringe said:

I have been on here for years, and I know that KU storms are the biggest of all the storms.  However, I still have no idea what the abbreviation stands for.  Can someone enlighten me?

Kocin Uccellini

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/metadata/landing-page/bin/iso?id=gov.noaa.ncdc:C00453

https://www.amazon.com/Northeast-Snowstorms-1-2-Set/dp/1878220640

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

OP GFS has always been a bad model, but I feel like it has been absolutely atrocious this year. Anyone have the model validation chart?

Keep looking at the GEFS. Yea they’ll follow the leader a little bit, but chess pieces still on the board at 18z

Long way to go…

You seem a little skittish. Atrocious model? Validation chart? lol it's an op run 10 days out. Chill.

You seem a little skittish. Atrocious model? Validation chart? lol it's an op run 10 days out. Chill.

Huh? I was responding to others who seemed skittish about the OP run. I’d bet a large sum of $ it’s dead last in model verification though at day 5 beyond right now.

18z gfs did have the same wave, it split our 13/14th wave into S and N stream vorts btw. Regardless doesn’t matter going to be completely different in 5 hours

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Long way to go…

I posted skill score yesterday,  it is doing badly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Huh? I was responding to others who seemed skittish about the OP run. I’d bet a large sum of $ it’s dead last in model verification though at day 5 beyond right now.

18z gfs did have the same wave, it split our 13/14th wave into S and N stream vorts btw. Regardless doesn’t matter going to be completely different in 5 hours

Ok sorry if I misinterpreted, but calling a deterministic model atrocious and asking about validation scores based on one op run 10 days out makes it sound like you are worried, despite explicitly saying you aren't immediately after. 

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

When most here speak of 'big ones' it's usually in reference to a KU. Well, except for ravensrule that is.

My man, i knew after 13 years i would finally get you out of your shell. I couldn't be prouder as a teacher. This may be my crowning achievement as a teacher.  

• Haha 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic